Nexus 4 - No SIMs Recognized

Bluejay87

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought a second hand N4 to try out Android (WP8 user here).

The guy I purchased off showed me his SIM was working in it fine but since taking it home I haven't been able to get any SIMS to work in there. I have tried quite a few, all of which work in other phones.

I've done a factory reset multiple times, rebooted the phone multiple times and even tried starting in recovery mode. Nothing I do seems to be able to get any SIMS working.

Really frustrating experience as otherwise the phone works fine on wifi. Really hope someone can help me as otherwise I just spent $180 on a dud!

Last edited by a moderator:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4- No SIMS Recognized

If you go to Settings -> About Phone -> Status, is there anything shown for IMEI? (don't tell us the number, just a yes or no will do)

Also, in Settings -> About Phone, what are the values for:

• Android version
  • Baseband version
  • Kernel version
  • Build number

Bluejay87

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I do have an IMEI number.

Android version: 4.4.2
Baseband version: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.98
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf-g2cae413;

Wed Nov 20 14:54:28 PST 2013
Build Number: KOT49H

Last edited by a moderator:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah, most important of all: you need to power off the phone and then back on or the SIM card will not be recognized.

Ideally, power on then hold power button for several seconds until menu pops up. Tap Power Off and OK.

Insert SIM card.

Hold power button for several seconds until phone begins boot process then release.

Bluejay87

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

The SIMS I tried were for Optus and Vodafone (I'm Australian).

I've tried putting in SIMS after powering down as described, still nothing unfortunately.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Contacts of SIM towards back of phone, correct? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoQpmUSHstw

And no, you do not have to power off to change SIM, but it should recognize it immediately as different and say "SIM card added - Please reboot" or something similar, but it is a good idea.

Does the SIM work in another phone?

Bluejay87

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Hi, yes I've watched that video before and doing it exactly as shown.

I did actually get that message the first time I put the sim in, but I rebooted only for it to come up with the 'No SIM inserted - Emergency Calls only' message.

I've tried 4 different SIMs in this phone that work in other phone. None of them work in my N4.

lmvine

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I had cut a SIM incorrectly & it didn't work in my N4. All correctly cut SIMs work for me.
Are you cutting them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress