Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 93
Like Tree31Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    I just had a couple questions and a remark or two.

    First, a little background. I only recently started following Android again for the first time since before Froyo came out. What exactly is the Galaxy Nexus debacle everyone seems to know about but me?

    I purchased the new Nexus 7 right after it was released and I love it (currently using an iPhone 5). I'm considering a jump to Android but I have several limiting factors in place. I'm on a plan with 4 other people on Verizon in what is basically the middle of nowhere. The others are not uprooting carriers just so I can have a new toy and AT&T is spotty at best in this area anyway. I'll happily agree that Verizon is pure evil when it comes to business practices but the coverage is necessary and I don't see AT&T being too much better. Thankfully, our encounters with customer service on Verizon haven't been as hellish as some other people's and we haven't had to utilize that much anyway.

    Bottom line: if the rumored Nexus 5 (or whatever it's gonna be called) ended up on Verizon for a fair off contract price, I'd really like to try it as my primary device (all the better if there's a Play version without the standard VZW bs-ware). For those familiar with the process, is there still a reasonable course Google/LG/anyone-but-Samsung could take to have this Fall's Nexus phone (hoping for Fall, the anticipation is killing me now that I've experienced the Nexus 7) on VZW?

    Now a couple observations. On the subject of SD cards: what for? Seriously, that little brick in your pocket is capable of holding a ludicrous amount of data/music/pictures/video already PLUS is able to connect to such cloud services as Google Drive, Dropbox, MS Skydrive, any number of streaming services paid or free, etc over 90% of the time. I'm not saying it's a ridiculous request but I'd like to know what the use-case is for this sort of feature and why it needs to be included in EVERY handset.

    Swappable batteries I will criticize, however. A long time ago, I worked at an electronics retailer. We sold cell phones during the era of the Razr and every so often, someone would come in for a battery replacement (very seldom for a spare- usually due to abuse or age of the factory installed one) and they would be SHOCKED when they discovered that a replacement would cost MONEY! I don't know what the rest of you are doing with your phones but I can't imagine a scenario where I would need extra juice AND be away from any way to charge my device. However, if I thought I was likely to encounter such a situation, my first thought would not be 'replaceable battery'. This may or may not be news to those of you demanding such a feature but there are portable device chargers you can include in your pack that run off AA batteries, solar power, or even thermal or kinetic energy- not to mention cases with an auxiliary battery. Any situation I can think of that might benefit from a spare battery would be better served by one of these options.

    I could be wrong and if I am I'd love to hear what I missed but that's the way I see it. I think both these features have outlived their respective usefulness. Out with the old, in with the new.

    Last item: Supposing the Nexus 5(ish) doesn't land with VZW, what would be the runner up for best and most pure Android experience? At this time, I'm not terribly confident in Samsung (due to some low level shenanigans with their handling of camera control and what I consider a craptastic showing at IFA). The Moto X looks interesting but the other options currently available fail to wow me. I'm still not sure how I feel about the button layout of the LG G2 and I'm not terribly keen on going all-in for price right out of the gate.

    To clarify, I love my iPhone but don't care for some of the Apple developer practices (I don't like that there is a fee for deploying to a device I already paid for) and the only animosity I have for the Android platform is either OEM or carrier related. I just really like devices and would be very happy if the industry would just learn to play nice with everyone.

    Sorry for the potato post, got carried away.
    rayden8 likes this.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    EVLeaks just posted on G+ about the LG-D820 being "just a CDMA G2 variant". Viva the rumor mill! Let it keep on spinning and spinning! Now there's still a chance that the next Nexus phone might be compatible with ALL the US carriers! Fingers recrossed for Verizon compatibility!
  3. #53  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by chram893 View Post
    EVLeaks just posted on G+ about the LG-D820 being "just a CDMA G2 variant". Viva the rumor mill! Let it keep on spinning and spinning! Now there's still a chance that the next Nexus phone might be compatible with ALL the US carriers! Fingers recrossed for Verizon compatibility!
    Still doubtful on any Nexus making it to Verizon. I just don't see it happening.

    The whole D820 being another CDMA G2 variant is kind of weird. I mean evleaks is pretty reputable, so I am inclined to believe them, but the FCC images just don't look anything like a G2 (off center camera unlike the current G2 backplate, smaller dimensions, smaller battery, etc.). Oh well, let the hype train continue!
    Thanked by 2:
  4. #54  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by darknyght00 View Post
    I just had a couple questions and a remark or two.
    Verizon? Just get a Moto X. And make a new thread for all these off-topic questions.


    Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4
  5. #55  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    Still doubtful on any Nexus making it to Verizon. I just don't see it happening.

    The whole D820 being another CDMA G2 variant is kind of weird. I mean evleaks is pretty reputable, so I am inclined to believe them, but the FCC images just don't look anything like a G2 (off center camera unlike the current G2 backplate, smaller dimensions, smaller battery, etc.). Oh well, let the hype train continue!
    My thoughts exactly! There's evidence, but apparently it's the wrong evidence. Nevertheless, I am still keeping an open mind about it until anything and everything becomes officially announced. No matter where the rumors are starting to point to, I'm still excited to see what will be coming around the corner! Aver que pasa!

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #56  
    Tbayrgs's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by chram893 View Post
    EVLeaks just posted on G+ about the LG-D820 being "just a CDMA G2 variant". Viva the rumor mill! Let it keep on spinning and spinning! Now there's still a chance that the next Nexus phone might be compatible with ALL the US carriers! Fingers recrossed for Verizon compatibility!
    I don't see how the device identified in the FCC filing is for the CDMA version of the G2. Previous rumors for the Verizon version showed it would exclusively have wireless charging, but also that it was pretty much identical in form factor, including the buttons on the back--the FCC filing for the D820 doesn't have them. What sense does it make for LG to build a completely different version of the G2 (different dimensions, different size screen, different camera and button placement) for a single US carrier? Doesn't the phone in the FCC filing also support bands for AT&T and T Mobile? Why include those if there already is version for those carriers.

    Sorry evleaks, but I call complete BS.
  7. #57  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,212 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by darknyght00 View Post
    First, a little background. I only recently started following Android again for the first time since before Froyo came out. What exactly is the Galaxy Nexus debacle everyone seems to know about but me?
    First of all, it was a Verizon exclusive for the first couple of months with a premium price tag(not for basically nothing from google like every other nexus). No carrier unlocked version for that time.

    Second, it was subjected to Verizon update procedure which for anything that is not an iphone means "slow to no." 4.0 was a couple of steps above a buggy mess when it was first released. It needed updating quickly. This didnt happen officially.

    Third, the radios that samsung put into the thing were horrid. If i remember correctly it had to do with mismatching qualcomm parts with their own. This let to bad reception and little to no 4g for many(which was a huge selling point at the time).

    All this was topped off with a verizon app that was on the device(unremoveable) that the nexus purests flipped out about.


    The radios and general bugs were the only thing the average user complained about, but the internet filled with nexus elites blew up about everything else on top of it.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Thanked by:
  8. #58  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    ^
    Don't forget battery. The GNex burns through a charge in about 1-1.25hr screen-on time.
    The launch was also a bungly mess, but I won't get into that.
    Thanked by:
  9. #59  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    7,222 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    ^
    Don't forget battery. The GNex burns through a charge in about 1-1.25hr screen-on time.
    The launch was also a bungly mess, but I won't get into that.
    Little better than that, 2-3 but nowhere near the 6-8 of this moto.

    XT1060. Through spacetime.
    Thanked by:
  10. #60  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by darknyght00 View Post
    Swappable batteries I will criticize, however. ... This may or may not be news to those of you demanding such a feature but there are portable device chargers you can include in your pack that run off AA batteries, solar power, or even thermal or kinetic energy- not to mention cases with an auxiliary battery. Any situation I can think of that might benefit from a spare battery would be better served by one of these options.
    Portable battery packs/chargers are useful, but to use them, you'd have to either leave them plugged in for an extended period of time to charge up your phone or keep your phone plugged in to avoid depleting your battery. Depending on how on-the-go you need to be, leaving it plugged in may be inconvenient or make for a cumbersome, not-so-portable phone. On the other hand, if I buy a 2nd battery, I can go from 10% charge remaining to 100% by simply swapping the battery. And a battery pack is usually a lot bigger and heavier than my spare battery.

    Plus, as others have pointed out, if you want to keep your phone for a while, when the battery starts to degrade, you can't replace a non-removable battery (or at least not easily).
  11. #61  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by lets_go_android View Post
    Portable battery packs/chargers are useful, but to use them, you'd have to either leave them plugged in for an extended period of time to charge up your phone or keep your phone plugged in to avoid depleting your battery. Depending on how on-the-go you need to be, leaving it plugged in may be inconvenient or make for a cumbersome, not-so-portable phone. On the other hand, if I buy a 2nd battery, I can go from 10% charge remaining to 100% by simply swapping the battery. And a battery pack is usually a lot bigger and heavier than my spare battery.

    Plus, as others have pointed out, if you want to keep your phone for a while, when the battery starts to degrade, you can't replace a non-removable battery (or at least not easily).
    Fair enough. However, I maintain that this is not typical of the majority of users and that the swappable battery would be best served as a specialty feature instead of people crying foul every time a handset is released without it. As for keeping phones for extended periods (long enough for the battery to degrade), I think that a hardware refresh every so often is a good thing. I may be a bad example since I'm kinda a gadget addict but new things come out and I want to try them.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by lets_go_android View Post
    Plus, as others have pointed out, if you want to keep your phone for a while, when the battery starts to degrade, you can't replace a non-removable battery (or at least not easily).
    But you won't really have to worry about that if you don't keep your phone for more than, say, 4 years.
  13. #63  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    For heavy media usage on media hungry smartphones, what's the point when the public is always at threat of gross overage charges from the Carriers? You enable the means to truly use these phones in an AFFORDABLE way and then let's talk about not adding an inexpensive option such as a microsd slot.

    Heck, I've gone over my 5GB useage on WIND's crappy aws network in one month just from three apps. Play Music, Youtube and my Podcast app. WIND fortunately just drops your connection to molasses when you go over so you do not get hosed with charges. Other carriers aren't so accommodating, right?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis-X View Post
    For heavy media usage on media hungry smartphones, what's the point when the public is always at threat of gross overage charges from the Carriers? You enable the means to truly use these phones in an AFFORDABLE way and then let's talk about not adding an inexpensive option such as a microsd slot.

    Heck, I've gone over my 5GB useage on WIND's crappy aws network in one month just from three apps. Play Music, Youtube and my Podcast app. WIND fortunately just drops your connection to molasses when you go over so you do not get hosed with charges. Other carriers aren't so accommodating, right?
    Google has expressly stated that they will not put MicroSD cards in their Nexus devices. This is partly to push their cloud services (after all, they most of their revenue comes from services). 32GB, even 16GB should be enough for most. If not, Nexus devices are not for you.

    And besides, we already know what US carriers will carry the phone (not sure about other countries), and two of the three offer unlimited, unthrottled data at a fairly low price.
  15. #65  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    And besides, we already know what US carriers will carry the phone (not sure about other countries), and two of the three offer unlimited, unthrottled data at a fairly low price.
    Can we say that we KNOW this at this time? I realize that it's likely to become factual in the near future but for now we're still working off an FCC filing that may or may not be the device we think it is and may or may not be revised before being announced (much less released). Strong evidence, to be sure, but I'm clinging desperately to the notion that I'll be able to try a Nexus 5 on Verizon.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by darknyght00 View Post
    Can we say that we KNOW this at this time? I realize that it's likely to become factual in the near future but for now we're still working off an FCC filing that may or may not be the device we think it is and may or may not be revised before being announced (much less released). Strong evidence, to be sure, but I'm clinging desperately to the notion that I'll be able to try a Nexus 5 on Verizon.
    There's no way it cannot be the Nexus 5, and there are multiple pieces of evidence that support that: the resemblance to the Google-leaked video with the Nexus 5, the inclusion of Android 4.4, the fish codename that has been found in all other Nexus devices...

    There's a possibility that it could be revised before release, but I doubt it, considering it's so close to an expected announcement/release date and that it would have to go through the FCC a second time.
  17. #67  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    There's no way it cannot be the Nexus 5, and there are multiple pieces of evidence that support that: the resemblance to the Google-leaked video with the Nexus 5, the inclusion of Android 4.4, the fish codename that has been found in all other Nexus devices...

    There's a possibility that it could be revised before release, but I doubt it, considering it's so close to an expected announcement/release date and that it would have to go through the FCC a second time.
    You're right of course but dammit if I don't want you to be wrong.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  
    return_0's Avatar

    Posts
    2,525 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by darknyght00 View Post
    You're right of course but dammit if I don't want you to be wrong.
    Sorry :/ hopefully Google and Verizon will have cooperated by the release of the next Nexus phone.
    Darth Spock likes this.
  19. #69  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by darknyght00 View Post
    Fair enough. However, I maintain that this is not typical of the majority of users and that the swappable battery would be best served as a specialty feature instead of people crying foul every time a handset is released without it. As for keeping phones for extended periods (long enough for the battery to degrade), I think that a hardware refresh every so often is a good thing. I may be a bad example since I'm kinda a gadget addict but new things come out and I want to try them.
    True, I do not know if that's how other users see things. I personally like to ensure I have an adequate charge on my phone at all times (in case of any unexpected situations) and given how power hungry smartphones (esp. the VZW Galaxy Nexus I have) are, having the option of using a spare battery for those situations when I'm going to be out and about for several hours is important to me. Not a deal breaker, no, but it is a consideration.

    Thankfully, it looks like new phones are getting bigger batteries and/or more efficient, so hopefully it'll be less and less of a concern going forward.
  20. #70  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,212 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Was this filing released by the FCC, or was it leaked in some way? Also are we sure the pictures came with it? Sorry for my ignorance
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
  21. #71  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    I kind of hoping there will be different pricing for any Moto X sold on Google Play. I've always been a bit perplexed by the Nexus 4 subsidized pricing because it strikes me as undercutting Google's partners. It seems like LG G2 and Moto X sales would suffer when there would be a comparable device for hundreds less, especially if they were Gpe sold side by side on Google Play. I think the HTC One and GS4 Gpe were able to be sold on Google Play at such a premium price over the Nexus 4 because they were next generation devices with superior specs, but the rumored Nexus 5 would be the same generation device and the technological divide not so great (if at all). Having said that, I'm hoping any Moto X Gpe is priced far less than what AT&T retails off contract. Without hesitation I'd be willing to pay a premium of $100 more for the Moxo X over a Nexus 5 if the Moto X suited my needs better.
    Don't discount the effect of marketing on the masses. Those of us on forums like this are in the minority. Just look at Samsung G4 sales numbers. They make a device for every carrier and get inventory into every store and kiosk. And most people do not care about software updates and bloatware on their phones. I'm just glad Google makes the Nexus line and makes it affordable. I plan on getting a N5 as soon as it's available.
  22. #72  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    EVLeaks just retracted its statements about D820/821......hmmm.
    Mooem and Darth Spock like this.
  23. #73  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Will the NEXUS 5 come out before next year? I've been sitting on my upgrade since JUNE and really needing to upgrade and get away from this Nexus S 4G lol. I need the Nexus 5.
    Joined the Android Army '11
    Current Android ~ Nexus 5
    Like A Bo$$
  24. #74  

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Newman1 View Post
    EVLeaks just retracted its statements about D820/821......hmmm.
    That doesn't surprise me; there was already conflicting information about his statements regarding the D820 model in particular. The documents he referenced to begin with referred to the D802 and D821, but not the D820.

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenRulz View Post
    Will the NEXUS 5 come out before next year? I've been sitting on my upgrade since JUNE and really needing to upgrade and get away from this Nexus S 4G lol. I need the Nexus 5.
    I would certainly expect it to based on Google's past timeline, the FCC filing, KitKat announcement, etc. Only time will tell, of course, but I'll say this much: I'm keeping some cash around in the bank specifically for it this fall.
    AllenRulz and Darth Spock like this.
  25. #75  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,576 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

    All rumor but what is the speculated battery size again?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Google is for the people and by the people. Android is for the people and by the tech people. Nexus is for the geeks and by the geeks.
    Solve
    [Nexus (A) + the latest and greatest tech] < [Nexus (B) + the best proven and optimize tech]
    Answer
    Nexus (A) is less than Nexus (B)
    Nexus (B) is greater than Nexus (A)
    ______
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Solved] Nexus 4 won't turn on or charge
    By Scott7217 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 12-21-2014, 01:14 PM
  2. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 01:05 AM
  3. Nexus 7 Speaker Crackle
    By swimmaholic in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 06:44 AM
  4. Charging Problem with Google Edition S4
    By Matt Everest in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 07:56 AM
  5. Assist with 3rd party texting
    By JSD13 in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 01:20 AM

Posting Permissions