LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking the same thing mainly because I'm sick and tired of waiting for Verizon to approve updates on my phone. Unfortunately I still have a year left on my contract. I was hoping that somehow the next Nexus phone would work on Verizon since the new N7 does, but that doesn't look likely... :(

Even when your year is over you still aren't going to leave Verizon. 95% of people on here that say that of full of it. If you were serious about leaving you would just sell your current phone and pay the ETF.

Not trying to sound like a ****, don't take it the wrong way.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Even when your year is over you still aren't going to leave Verizon. 95% of people on here that say that of full of it. If you were serious about leaving you would just sell your current phone and pay the ETF.

Not trying to sound like a ****, don't take it the wrong way.

Thanks. I'm glad you know me so well. I'd never thought of paying the etf to get out my contract. Since I'm made of so much money and love pissing it away I think I will get right on that.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually paid to leave Verizon, it felt good to chop my bill in half and not worry about the insane nickel /dime practices.

But I tend to agree, most people do not vote with his /her wallet.

GS4/iPhone5

kckadow

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to leave unlimited data and the coverage you get with Verizon. I'm glad this phone won't be on Verizon so the temptation to think things will change this time around won't be there. The GNex was enough of that. I plan on getting the Nexus to test out the coverage in my area with Tmo and ATT, use it as a hotspot and maybe even find that I get good coverage and can dump Verizon.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to leave unlimited data and the coverage you get with Verizon. I'm glad this phone won't be on Verizon so the temptation to think things will change this time around won't be there. The GNex was enough of that. I plan on getting the Nexus to test out the coverage in my area with Tmo and ATT, use it as a hotspot and maybe even find that I get good coverage and can dump Verizon.

I was worried about leaving VZW for T-Mobile. I had a friend with an GS2. I tested the phones call quality and data speeds. The phone was able to get 10-15 down on HSPA+. That pretty much made my decision that I was switching. And now we have LTE. See if any of your friends have T-Mobile so you can test the coverage. Good luck.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually paid to leave Verizon, it felt good to chop my bill in half and not worry about the insane nickel /dime practices.

But I tend to agree, most people do not vote with his /her wallet.

GS4/iPhone5

I wont vote for a company that cant give me service, thus i am stuck with Verizon. When another company can give me service like Verizon for cheaper, i will move gladly, but i am not paying less for less.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I paid an ETF of about 5 months to get out from under Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I paid VZW $180 to end my contract in April when the HTC one came out. My contract was ending in June but I wasn't going to wait two months. I wanted the device on day one.

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I just had a couple questions and a remark or two.

First, a little background. I only recently started following Android again for the first time since before Froyo came out. What exactly is the Galaxy Nexus debacle everyone seems to know about but me?

I purchased the new Nexus 7 right after it was released and I love it (currently using an iPhone 5). I'm considering a jump to Android but I have several limiting factors in place. I'm on a plan with 4 other people on Verizon in what is basically the middle of nowhere. The others are not uprooting carriers just so I can have a new toy and AT&T is spotty at best in this area anyway. I'll happily agree that Verizon is pure evil when it comes to business practices but the coverage is necessary and I don't see AT&T being too much better. Thankfully, our encounters with customer service on Verizon haven't been as hellish as some other people's and we haven't had to utilize that much anyway.

Bottom line: if the rumored Nexus 5 (or whatever it's gonna be called) ended up on Verizon for a fair off contract price, I'd really like to try it as my primary device (all the better if there's a Play version without the standard VZW bs-ware). For those familiar with the process, is there still a reasonable course Google/LG/anyone-but-Samsung could take to have this Fall's Nexus phone (hoping for Fall, the anticipation is killing me now that I've experienced the Nexus 7) on VZW?

Now a couple observations. On the subject of SD cards: what for? Seriously, that little brick in your pocket is capable of holding a ludicrous amount of data/music/pictures/video already PLUS is able to connect to such cloud services as Google Drive, Dropbox, MS Skydrive, any number of streaming services paid or free, etc over 90% of the time. I'm not saying it's a ridiculous request but I'd like to know what the use-case is for this sort of feature and why it needs to be included in EVERY handset.

Swappable batteries I will criticize, however. A long time ago, I worked at an electronics retailer. We sold cell phones during the era of the Razr and every so often, someone would come in for a battery replacement (very seldom for a spare- usually due to abuse or age of the factory installed one) and they would be SHOCKED when they discovered that a replacement would cost MONEY! I don't know what the rest of you are doing with your phones but I can't imagine a scenario where I would need extra juice AND be away from any way to charge my device. However, if I thought I was likely to encounter such a situation, my first thought would not be 'replaceable battery'. This may or may not be news to those of you demanding such a feature but there are portable device chargers you can include in your pack that run off AA batteries, solar power, or even thermal or kinetic energy- not to mention cases with an auxiliary battery. Any situation I can think of that might benefit from a spare battery would be better served by one of these options.

I could be wrong and if I am I'd love to hear what I missed but that's the way I see it. I think both these features have outlived their respective usefulness. Out with the old, in with the new.

Last item: Supposing the Nexus 5(ish) doesn't land with VZW, what would be the runner up for best and most pure Android experience? At this time, I'm not terribly confident in Samsung (due to some low level shenanigans with their handling of camera control and what I consider a craptastic showing at IFA). The Moto X looks interesting but the other options currently available fail to wow me. I'm still not sure how I feel about the button layout of the LG G2 and I'm not terribly keen on going all-in for price right out of the gate.

To clarify, I love my iPhone but don't care for some of the Apple developer practices (I don't like that there is a fee for deploying to a device I already paid for) and the only animosity I have for the Android platform is either OEM or carrier related. I just really like devices and would be very happy if the industry would just learn to play nice with everyone.

Sorry for the potato post, got carried away.

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
EVLeaks just posted on G+ about the LG-D820 being "just a CDMA G2 variant". Viva the rumor mill! Let it keep on spinning and spinning! Now there's still a chance that the next Nexus phone might be compatible with ALL the US carriers! Fingers recrossed for Verizon compatibility! :D

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
EVLeaks just posted on G+ about the LG-D820 being "just a CDMA G2 variant". Viva the rumor mill! Let it keep on spinning and spinning! Now there's still a chance that the next Nexus phone might be compatible with ALL the US carriers! Fingers recrossed for Verizon compatibility! :D

Still doubtful on any Nexus making it to Verizon. I just don't see it happening.

The whole D820 being another CDMA G2 variant is kind of weird. I mean evleaks is pretty reputable, so I am inclined to believe them, but the FCC images just don't look anything like a G2 (off center camera unlike the current G2 backplate, smaller dimensions, smaller battery, etc.). Oh well, let the hype train continue!

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Still doubtful on any Nexus making it to Verizon. I just don't see it happening.

The whole D820 being another CDMA G2 variant is kind of weird. I mean evleaks is pretty reputable, so I am inclined to believe them, but the FCC images just don't look anything like a G2 (off center camera unlike the current G2 backplate, smaller dimensions, smaller battery, etc.). Oh well, let the hype train continue!

My thoughts exactly! There's evidence, but apparently it's the wrong evidence. Nevertheless, I am still keeping an open mind about it until anything and everything becomes officially announced. No matter where the rumors are starting to point to, I'm still excited to see what will be coming around the corner! Aver que pasa!

Posted via Android Central App

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't see how the device identified in the FCC filing is for the CDMA version of the G2. Previous rumors for the Verizon version showed it would exclusively have wireless charging, but also that it was pretty much identical in form factor, including the buttons on the back--the FCC filing for the D820 doesn't have them. What sense does it make for LG to build a completely different version of the G2 (different dimensions, different size screen, different camera and button placement) for a single US carrier? Doesn't the phone in the FCC filing also support bands for AT&T and T Mobile? Why include those if there already is version for those carriers.

Sorry evleaks, but I call complete BS.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
First, a little background. I only recently started following Android again for the first time since before Froyo came out. What exactly is the Galaxy Nexus debacle everyone seems to know about but me?

First of all, it was a Verizon exclusive for the first couple of months with a premium price tag(not for basically nothing from google like every other nexus). No carrier unlocked version for that time.

Second, it was subjected to Verizon update procedure which for anything that is not an iphone means "slow to no." 4.0 was a couple of steps above a buggy mess when it was first released. It needed updating quickly. This didnt happen officially.

Third, the radios that samsung put into the thing were horrid. If i remember correctly it had to do with mismatching qualcomm parts with their own. This let to bad reception and little to no 4g for many(which was a huge selling point at the time).

All this was topped off with a verizon app that was on the device(unremoveable) that the nexus purests flipped out about.

The radios and general bugs were the only thing the average user complained about, but the internet filled with nexus elites blew up about everything else on top of it.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
^
Don't forget battery. The GNex burns through a charge in about 1-1.25hr screen-on time.
The launch was also a bungly mess, but I won't get into that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
^
Don't forget battery. The GNex burns through a charge in about 1-1.25hr screen-on time.
The launch was also a bungly mess, but I won't get into that.

Little better than that, 2-3 but nowhere near the 6-8 of this moto.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Swappable batteries I will criticize, however. ... This may or may not be news to those of you demanding such a feature but there are portable device chargers you can include in your pack that run off AA batteries, solar power, or even thermal or kinetic energy- not to mention cases with an auxiliary battery. Any situation I can think of that might benefit from a spare battery would be better served by one of these options.

Portable battery packs/chargers are useful, but to use them, you'd have to either leave them plugged in for an extended period of time to charge up your phone or keep your phone plugged in to avoid depleting your battery. Depending on how on-the-go you need to be, leaving it plugged in may be inconvenient or make for a cumbersome, not-so-portable phone. On the other hand, if I buy a 2nd battery, I can go from 10% charge remaining to 100% by simply swapping the battery. And a battery pack is usually a lot bigger and heavier than my spare battery.

Plus, as others have pointed out, if you want to keep your phone for a while, when the battery starts to degrade, you can't replace a non-removable battery (or at least not easily).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch