LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Now that this "Nexus 5" has passed through the FCC and matches the phone in Google's KitKat video, I think we have a definite idea of what the N5 will be like. A Snapdragon 800 chipset and a 4.96" screen are among the specs that have been shown.

I think the 5" screen is a welcome addition, considering that the bezels have been trimmed so that the device is actually physically smaller than the Nexus 4. The Snapdragon 800 is definitely exciting, not only because of the power it'll bring but because of the likely improvements in battery efficiency.

One of the most interesting things in the FCC filing is the frequencies the N5 is compatible with. We see pentaband HSPA+ (which is expected), 7-band LTE (which isn't too surprising), and oddly, two bands for CDMA. This means that, in the US at least, the phone will be compatible not only with the AT&T and T-Mobile networks, but additionally with Sprint's network. Looks like Google has made up with one of the CDMA carriers.

One more thing to add: This FCC filing comes exactly one month before the date that this happened with the N4 last year: September 5 compared to October 5. This means that we may very likely see the announcement of this phone and Android 4.4 KitKat by the end of September. Awesome.

What do you all think? IMO this is very exciting and a bit of a surprise.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Not surprised the device is made by LG but am surprise how much it looks like N7. I wonder if going have unified design for Nexus line from now on?

The device looks good but I hoping they back bigger battery than a 3000mah that is in LG G2. I been looking at every bit of info on LG G2's battery life and so far don't expect Note 2 battery life. LG G2 seems to have couple hours over the S4. Regardless the Nexus devices continue to evolve in design and software and the Nexus 5 will be another step forward for Google and Android.

I can't wait to see what Kit Kat has to offer and also want see how strong Google will push the Nexus 5 into the retail market. I believe they be more aggressive in marketing Nexus 5 after there success of Nexus 7.

I don't if I quite pull the trigger and get the Nexus 5 but I hope it's a great success.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
The FCC docs appear to spec a 2300mAh embedded battery. Rather disappointing for a non-removable battery, though my HTC One is acceptable on it's battery would be nice to have a bit more.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The device looks good but I hoping they back bigger battery than a 3000mah that is in LG G2. I been looking at every bit of info on LG G2's battery life and so far don't expect Note 2 battery life. LG G2 seems to have couple hours over the S4.

I think the N5 won't need such a big battery because it will most likely be optimized for better battery life. Hopefully Google bakes in some of the Moto X's battery magic into 4.4.

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Not surprised the device is made by LG but am surprise how much it looks like N7. I wonder if going have unified design for Nexus line from now on?

The device looks good but I hoping they back bigger battery than a 3000mah that is in LG G2. I been looking at every bit of info on LG G2's battery life and so far don't expect Note 2 battery life. LG G2 seems to have couple hours over the S4. Regardless the Nexus devices continue to evolve in design and software and the Nexus 5 will be another step forward for Google and Android.

I can't wait to see what Kit Kat has to offer and also want see how strong Google will push the Nexus 5 into the retail market. I believe they be more aggressive in marketing Nexus 5 after there success of Nexus 7.

I don't if I quite pull the trigger and get the Nexus 5 but I hope it's a great success.

According to the FCC docs the OP mentioned, the battery is listed as 2300mah.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the N5 won't need such a big battery because it will most likely be optimized for better battery life. Hopefully Google bakes in some of the Moto X's battery magic into 4.4.
I am looking for note 2 battery life.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm excited to see this phone. It's probably going to be my first nexus device.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Everything speculated so far from the FCC filing sounds exciting and positive to me. I'm impressed that the screen will be larger yet the phone's form factor smaller. Can't wait to see how it is priced when released, and I am planning to get one.

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine they would announce it by the end of the month... would they?!

Regardless, I am ready to buy this!!!

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Actually, there is one reason why I might not get one -- it depends on what kind of Moto X ends up being sold on Google Play (if any). The Moto X is the most comfortable phone I've ever held in my hand and I'd be hard pressed not to get one if there is an unlocked version sold on Google Play.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon contract ends next week, and I've been itching to jump ship for an actual Nexus device not neutered by Big Red. I tried getting back into TouchWiz with the GS4 but it has left me longing for a stock android experience. I suppose I could live with AT&T's not as great, but not terrible, service around here.

If it looks and feels anything like the Nexus 7, then I might be sold. I just hope there's a 32 GB version but that might be wishing for too much. ;)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
One of the most interesting things in the FCC filing is the frequencies the N5 is compatible with. We see pentaband HSPA+ (which is expected), 7-band LTE (which isn't too surprising), and oddly, two bands for CDMA. This means that, in the US at least, the phone will be compatible not only with the AT&T and T-Mobile networks, but additionally with Sprint's network. Looks like Google has made up with one of the CDMA carriers.

Google was always friendly with Sprint. Remember that Sprint got a custom version of the Nexus S with WiMax and was the first carrier to support Google Voice integration and Google Wallet. The lack of an N4 on Sprint was most likely due to the lack of LTE in the N4, not any animosity toward the carrier. I find the distinct lack of Verizon support on this device far more telling; looks like Big G isn't ready to forgive Big Red for the Galaxy Nexus debacle.

I wasn't planning on upgrading from my Nexus 4, but I'm very interested to see what this device has. I wonder if they're going to go with an AMOLED screen like the Moto X in order to adopt that phone's notification system?

Edit: oh, if anyone wants to dig through the FCC documentation, it's here.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Actually, there is one reason why I might not get one -- it depends on what kind of Moto X ends up being sold on Google Play (if any). The Moto X is the most comfortable phone I've ever held in my hand and I'd be hard pressed not to get one if there is an unlocked version sold on Google Play.

Don't forget the price factor. Google subsidizes the Nexus product line. I'd expect the price between $299 and $399 depending on memory. I doubt that the unlocked Moto X would be discounted, even though Google owns Motorola. So expect pricing to be $250-$300 higher.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The FCC docs appear to spec a 2300mAh embedded battery. Rather disappointing for a non-removable battery, though my HTC One is acceptable on it's battery would be nice to have a bit more.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app

That was my main concern, that seems rather small considering a 5 inch screen and snapdragon 800. Otherwise is sounds amazing being slightly smaller than the N4 with a bigger screen, faster, etc.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon contract ends next week, and I've been itching to jump ship for an actual Nexus device not neutered by Big Red. I tried getting back into TouchWiz with the GS4 but it has left me longing for a stock android experience. I suppose I could live with AT&T's not as great, but not terrible, service around here.

If it looks and feels anything like the Nexus 7, then I might be sold. I just hope there's a 32 GB version but that might be wishing for too much. ;)
Exactly! To me Touchwiz just ruins everything. Stock is the way to go.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget the price factor. Google subsidizes the Nexus product line. I'd expect the price between $299 and $399 depending on memory. I doubt that the unlocked Moto X would be discounted, even though Google owns Motorola. So expect pricing to be $250-$300 higher.

I kind of hoping there will be different pricing for any Moto X sold on Google Play. I've always been a bit perplexed by the Nexus 4 subsidized pricing because it strikes me as undercutting Google's partners. It seems like LG G2 and Moto X sales would suffer when there would be a comparable device for hundreds less, especially if they were Gpe sold side by side on Google Play. I think the HTC One and GS4 Gpe were able to be sold on Google Play at such a premium price over the Nexus 4 because they were next generation devices with superior specs, but the rumored Nexus 5 would be the same generation device and the technological divide not so great (if at all). Having said that, I'm hoping any Moto X Gpe is priced far less than what AT&T retails off contract. Without hesitation I'd be willing to pay a premium of $100 more for the Moxo X over a Nexus 5 if the Moto X suited my needs better.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a bit weird. The top two devices on my list for an upgrade this year are made by LG. Two years ago LG wasn't even on my radar. Kudos to them.

I'm eager for more details on the N5, but I'm a bit worried about the battery life. On paper, I would have liked to see something bigger since it's non-removable. However, if battery life is at least average, there is a 32GB option and the camera is respectable, I'm probably all in for a Nexus this year. Although next weekend I'll definitely be in a store checking out the G2 in person.

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Now that this "Nexus 5" has passed through the FCC and matches the phone in Google's KitKat video, I think we have a definite idea of what the N5 will be like. A Snapdragon 800 chipset and a 4.96" screen are among the specs that have been shown.

I think the 5" screen is a welcome addition, considering that the bezels have been trimmed so that the device is actually physically smaller than the Nexus 4. The Snapdragon 800 is definitely exciting, not only because of the power it'll bring but because of the likely improvements in battery efficiency.

One more thing to add: This FCC filing comes exactly one month before the date that this happened with the N4 last year: September 5 compared to October 5. This means that we may very likely see the announcement of this phone and Android 4.4 KitKat by the end of September. Awesome.

What do you all think? IMO this is very exciting and a bit of a surprise.

I'm not the most technically versed about different types of frequencies or network-type labels. Are you saying a new Nexus won't likely be on Verizon? I'm on VZW, and I was going to wait till news of a new Nexus, but if there is no chance it comes to VZW, I'll go with the Moto X instead. Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer