No Active Notification on the Nexus 5 like the Moto X?

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Seems like from everything I've read so far, one of my favorite features from seeing ads for the Moto X won't be on the Nexus 5.

Looks like Active Notification, the ability to simply look at screen and get some information, and touch screen for a simple notification without powering on the full screen, isn't built into either Kit Kat or the phone itself. Not sure if that is because Google needs to keep some distinguishable characteristics for the Moto X or why otherwise.

Do I understand Active Notification right? Can't wait for my Nexus to get here next week, but disappointing that a cool feature won't be on it. Not disappointing enough that I'd prefer a Moto X but definitely bummed because the only app I've seen that mimics it for my Galaxy s3 doesn't work well at all.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Your right it's not on the nexus 5, the moto x uses an amoled screen that can power just the part of the screen that's needed for the notification, where as the its display in the nexus 5 can't do that, it's all on or off, but you can download an app called dynamic notifications from. The app store that does the same thing, and doesn't really affect battery life, I use it on my nexus 4 and I'll be using it on my 5 for sure

Posted via Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems like from everything I've read so far, one of my favorite features from seeing ads for the Moto X won't be on the Nexus 5.

Looks like Active Notification, the ability to simply look at screen and get some information, and touch screen for a simple notification without powering on the full screen, isn't built into either Kit Kat or the phone itself. Not sure if that is because Google needs to keep some distinguishable characteristics for the Moto X or why otherwise.

Do I understand Active Notification right? Can't wait for my Nexus to get here next week, but disappointing that a cool feature won't be on it. Not disappointing enough that I'd prefer a Moto X but definitely bummed because the only app I've seen that mimics it for my Galaxy s3 doesn't work well at all.

Even though I found it as a gimmick anyway I do understand why this phone does not have active notification's vs the Moto X but what I don't understand is why the phone's screen has to physically be on for the "Okay Google" voice command.... If I already have to power the screen on then I might as well go ahead and type like I've always done... It would have been neat to be able to use it while driving and not have to reach for the phone....... Oh well.. Maybe a software update down the road will activate....

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a moto x and active notifications is indeed sweet as is the touchless controls. I have a Nexus 5 on the way and will try dynamic notifications. I heard it is not as smooth but I will give it a try. Does dynamic notifications also turn on the lock screen when you pick up or remove the phone from your pocket? I love that about my moto x.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Even though I found it as a gimmick anyway I do understand why this phone does not have active notification's vs the Moto X but what I don't understand is why the phone's screen has to physically be on for the "Okay Google" voice command.... If I already have to power the screen on then I might as well go ahead and type like I've always done... It would have been neat to be able to use it while driving and not have to reach for the phone....... Oh well.. Maybe a software update down the road will activate....

Moto X has extra hardware and software specifically dedicated for the "always on" feature. It has extra microphones and an extra microprocessor specifically designed to receive and process the commands while using as little power as possible. The nexus 5 has none of this and should not be expected to ever get these features.

The one contradiction of this is the the s800(processor in nexus 5) supposedly has some sort of ability for low power constant speech recognition. However no manufacturer has made any use or even mention of using this ability so far, and it's limitations and effectiveness are unknown.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Moto X has extra hardware and software specifically dedicated for the "always on" feature. It has extra microphones and an extra microprocessor specifically designed to receive and process the commands while using as little power as possible. The nexus 5 has none of this and should not be expected to ever get these features.

The one contradiction of this is the the s800(processor in nexus 5) supposedly has some sort of ability for low power constant speech recognition. However no manufacturer has made any use or even mention of using this ability so far, and it's limitations and effectiveness are unknown.

The nexus could do the always on functionality just fine, I'm sure this is just staying a moto feature for at least the time being

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The further from the initial launch hype we get and the more reviews I read, the more I think I am glad I didn't order a Nexus 5. I think the Moto X is the phone I want.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Active notification is a Motorola feature not a Google feature. Even though Google owns Motorola, they are still separate companies. No offense to you personally but I'm not sure why everyone just assumed all of these moto exclusive features would be on a nexus device.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And that is why the nexus 5 is a boring mamba Jamba. Like all the other versions. .......freaking boring.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The further from the initial launch hype we get and the more reviews I read, the more I think I am glad I didn't order a Nexus 5. I think the Moto X is the phone I want.

I don't think you're anywhere near alone in that opinion. It's not easy to beat a solidly-built phone with several such consumer-oriented features. I know I would certainly put the Active Listening to use.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you're anywhere near alone in that opinion. It's not easy to beat a solidly-built phone with several such consumer-oriented features. I know I would certainly put the Active Listening to use.

Active listening is one of the number one reasons I want the Moto X. The other is trusted Bluetooth devices. I have a Google Apps account that I sync the email, contacts, and calander of with my phone and it requires a PIN lock. I would love to not have to enter the pin every time my phone has been asleep for two minutes.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is a fine phone but the bottom line for me is that since:

I'd end up having to go through my carrier to buy one at a significantly higher cost than the Nexus 5 which has a more up to date, advanced and efficient chip than the X, also supports touchless voice control, and the ability to copy Active Notifications (I use Dynamic on my N4 and have since it launched with none of the problems some have claimed, and no battery hit),

plus:

my carrier sucking like many others means OS updates delayed by several months,

There's just no comparison for me personally. Added to that the N5 has a larger display (easier on my eyes which is an issue for me), and also a higher res display. The N5 just has more advantages than the X in the above listed categories which are very important to me. I think customer service needs a mention here because I have owned Motorola phones before and one very hard lesson I learned from that was that Moto's customer support reputation isn't that good as it is, but if you're not American it goes from "not very good" to outright terrible. From what I've read thus far, there's little indication that's improved under new Google mgmt.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Good points, thanks

For sure. :) We know Google is moving in this direction, so it's safe to assume they'll work to advance and include these features as soon as it meets their standards. This is one reason why we're seeing launcher-based hotwording as opposed to touchless control while in standby (like the Moto X).

I want listening in standby too; I'd use it a lot.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Another intereting point of the Moto X is that some of its updates are actually being put in the playstore.For example since the maintance update was released for the Moto X recently the camera and touchless controls have already been updated again via playstore.this bascially elimates carriers dragging their feet to update the entire OS system for a few tweaks.I am glad Google/Motorola even though they are seperate divisions in the same company have taken this approach.Especially for the people like I who are stuck on vzw simply because no other carrier can deliver an useable signal in my home area not to mention my travel areas.
For those getting the N5 I wish you the best of luck with your new device :)
sent from Moto X

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I powered up my old GNex today to put Kit Kat on it... I keep staring at the screen wondering when the notifications are going to tell me something, anything... and then remember, oh wait, my Moto is the only thing that works on (and the Droids, but psh, Droids... not looking for these Droids). Active notifications and the always listening are HUGE features that I absolutely love. I can see how they'd seem gimmicky if you don't use them often, but especially the notifications makes me reach for my phone more than my Nexus 7, which is a big deal to me, because I also love me some Nexus 7.. .like too much.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The Note 3 does have a similar feature, except it uses S-Voice instead of Google Now and does not give feedback :(

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED isn't a requirement for Motorola's Active Notifications but it does make the feature better.

The DROID MINI has an LCD screen (+ notification light) with Active Notifications.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member