Coming from G2... very dissapointed.

shlk7

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
First impression of the screen (in comparison to the Htc one) :
Truly a gorgeous display, but I give the edge to the Htc one. The screen of the n5 is washed out and for some reason the lighter theme of kitkat makes it more apparent. It really stands out. Also I like the colors on the htc one, they seem deeper and richer in comparison.
Not that many people really care about it, but the speaker is horrendous. I was playing a nature video on youtube to see how loud can it get to the htc one and at full volume it becomes choppy. I tried more sounds from music players to movies and it became choppy every time at loud volumes. I know not many phones can come close to the htc one in quality, but this was just horrible.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
what's frustrating to me, is people who know NOTHING about the nexus brand, getting a nexus and being disappointed in the lack of features that it has compared to an S4 or a Note 3. Nexus devices are about the simplicity of vanilla android and the simple ability to root your phone and put any damn ROM you want on it with ease. The Nexus brand isn't for everyone. just like Samsung and their bloaty **** isn't for me.

I agree with this! The Nexus line is NOT meant for the mainstream consumer. It is meant for a very niche crowd. The Nexus is not meant for features, it's meant for developers and for people who like to root, mod and hack their phones. If Google is trying to make the Nexus a mainstream device this is a disaster waiting to happen.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the G2 and got my Nexus 5 yesterday. I haven't had a chance to even compare the two because I haven't put the nexus 5 down.

Op, it's your money. If the screen difference bothers you that much, sell or return the N5.

Posted via Android Central App

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, I disagree with you. I'm glad you prefer certain brands, I just happen to dislike your preferences in favor of my own. I also find that many of those features you mentioned suck. I also find waiting around for carriers and oems to get around to updates something that should've been gone by 2011

But trying to paint the n5 as sub par like you're doing now is ludicrous. I think you're completely out to lunch. Sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I didn't paint the N5 as subpar but it ain't on the highest end with some of the other phones either. You may find that some of the features suck but you aren't joe consumer either are you. Joe consumer doesn't buy the N5 us tech geeks do. What i said to you just flew over your head. The N5 is not tied to the Galaxy Note 3 as it is the king of the mountain of high end. The N5 is good for the price segment it is in but you try to sell it at the price of some of the high end phones and they will eat it's lunch.

It's $350 or $399 for a reason and thats because it's not the highend, bleeding edge like some of the other highend phones. Go back to the drawing board of your argument and try better to sneak words into people mouths. My argument was this for the op you can't complain that a $350 or $399 phone is not highend enough because it was not suppose to be on the highend of the scale. If you want every box ticked off the N5 will not be your phone.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I think that maybe there's some variation in screens, with some being more yellowish and washed out than others. That might explain why some folks find the screen to be excellent and others find it subpar.

Mine is very yellowish, and colors are definitely washed out. I'm hoping that there are good N5 screens out there to be found, or I'll be switching to a G2.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
For people saying that 350 to 400 dollars isn't the price tag for a high end phone well I guess I'll never own a high end phone. Anything going higher than 450 bucks is too much IMO. It must be nice to be rich. (Getting them subsidized would be the only option at that point, but I like being off contract)

Posted via Nexus 5 Android Central App

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I think that maybe there's some variation in screens, with some being more yellowish and washed out than others. That might explain why some folks find the screen to be excellent and others find it subpar.

Mine is very yellowish, and colors are definitely washed out. I'm hoping that there are good N5 screens out there to be found, or I'll be switching to a G2.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

My screen doesn't look yellow. But the whites are not as white as the HTC One

Posted via Nexus 5 Android Central App

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't paint the N5 as subpar but it ain't on the highest end with some of the other phones either. You may find that some of the features suck but you aren't joe consumer either are you. Joe consumer doesn't buy the N5 us tech geeks do. What i said to you just flew over your head. The N5 is not tied to the Galaxy Note 3 as it is the king of the mountain of high end. The N5 is good for the price segment it is in but you try to sell it at the price of some of the high end phones and they will eat it's lunch.

It's $350 or $399 for a reason and thats because it's not the highend, bleeding edge like some of the other highend phones. Go back to the drawing board of your argument and try better to sneak words into people mouths. My argument was this for the op you can't complain that a $350 or $399 phone is not highend enough because it was not suppose to be on the highend of the scale. If you want every box ticked off the N5 will not be your phone.

The same can be said for any phone from OEMS competing with samsung so your argument there doesn't wash. Do you seriously expect anyone to swallow that if Google sunk the same money and effort as Samsung into marketing the N5, it would sell around the same as any Sony, HTC, or LG phone currently does? You're delusional.

And by the way I don't have to be Joe consumer instead of a tech geek to know certain features are gimmicky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I disagree, it's at the very least tied with the best OEM phones available. Google subsidizing it for $400 becomes the tie breaker, and you're free of carrier and OEM interference on top of that.
you mean free to be used by google? yes indeed
Must be a personal perspective I wasn't as impressed as you by the G2 display and the software LG put on it is awful. I also hate the button placement. Lots of people think the saturated displays on Samsungs are how a phone display should look too.
Its a phone, I see nothing wrong with saturated color and infinite contrast, yeah you don't see those in the normal natural environment, but hey, I see natural environment every freaking day, its nice to see a beautiful and colorful screen.

btw, I owned a HOX, its 32GB, $500, and screen is definitely more vivid than my Nexus (4 :( ).

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The same can be said for any phone from OEMS competing with samsung so your argument there doesn't wash. Do you seriously expect anyone to swallow that if Google sunk the same money and effort as Samsung into marketing the N5, it would sell around the same as any Sony, HTC, or LG phone currently does? You're delusional.

And by the way I don't have to be Joe consumer instead of a tech geek to know certain features are gimmicky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Give it a rest dude like I said it goes over your head. Your constantly trying to prove your purchase to me which is a sign of weakness as i can careless what you think. I will not longer be replying to you after this as my answer was for the OP anyway. Just enjoy your purchase and carry on with whatever you do.

- - - Updated - - -

start saving money today! $2 a day and you can buy the phone next year!

Understandable to the common man, this wisdom is.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
These type of discussions are hard for me to read or contribute to because I'm such a Nexus fanboy. I got the G2 to hold me over until the Nexus 5 came out. When I crank the brightness up on both phones with a white background, the G2 is definitely brighter. I running a custom rom on the G2 (CM10.2) so I don't know how that affects it.

Using the Nexus 5 by itself, is still has a very nice screen and good enough for me. I remember when the Iphone 4 came out with the retina display. It wasn't even HD but with the smaller screen it still looked better than most Android phones. I remember comparing my Galaxy Nexus screen to my Iphone 4 and still liking the Iphone 4 screen better but, actually liking the Nexus phone better overall.

It just depends on your personal preference. I haven't read the entire thread so I'm sure someone has mentioned that. For myself it's all about the overall experience. Like I mentioned, I'm probably not the best person to give an opinion on this subject. I like the Nexus 5 running 4.4 and the overall design, functionality and experience so much that I don't care about the screen being not as bright as the G2.

The G2 is a very nice phone but, I have to decide which phones I will keep after all my reviews. I still have the Moto X and so I'll most-likely be selling the G2 at some point. I just like stock Android and don't take a lot of pics. The one thing I will miss is the battery life. It's nice knowing at the beginning of the day, that your battery will last, no matter how much you play with your phone.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The thing that bothers me the most is buying a phone in the fall for example and then not getting the updates until the spring flagships are out. It feels like you're always behind. It's the one and only thing I envy from Apple

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I think a lot of the arguments going back and forth here kinda miss the point...

Google has done a pretty job at establishing what the Nexus brand "is", as well as what it "isn't". To Google, the most important aspect of the Nexus devices is the OS. Android is what Google is focused on here, and the Nexus phones are designed to provide the best Google Android experience possible. In terms of CPU, RAM, display technology, and internal computing specs, Nexus delivers top of the line...because if you want to showcase your operating system, you should put it on a system that can run it with ease and look good while doing it. Keeping with this mentality, Nexus phones will always be the first to get the newest version of Android. To a whole lot of Nexus fans, this is EXACTLY what they want in a phone.

What the Nexus line is not going to have are all the extra bells and whistles. Some may call them features, some may call them gimmicks. Some may clamor for them, others may think that they suck. You're not going to get SD card support or OEM lauchers packed with widgets and proprietary apps or anything else that major manufacturers pack into their flagship devices to make them appealing to the masses (though, you could argue, what they are really doing is trying to set themselves apart from Nexus). Part of the reason Nexus devices are less expensive to buy outright has to be because they tend to be rather simplistic devices. Personally, I like the approach too...instead of cutting corners on the performance components of their devices, Google's approach seems to be more of, "Let's only include what we absolutely have to, but make sure what we do include is high-quality"

I've owned both the Galaxy S3 and S4, and I found both to be incredible devices...but I have become frustrated waiting for updates and dealing with locked bootloaders that prevent me from installing ROMs...that's why I've decided to move on to the Nexus line.

Bottom line? Different folks have different expectations of what they want to get out of their devices...for some, Nexus is the obvious choice, but it certainly may not be for everyone.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
what's frustrating to me, is people who know NOTHING about the nexus brand, getting a nexus and being disappointed in the lack of features that it has compared to an S4 or a Note 3. Nexus devices are about the simplicity of vanilla android and the simple ability to root your phone and put any damn ROM you want on it with ease. The Nexus brand isn't for everyone. just like Samsung and their bloaty **** isn't for me.

The OP never said anything about having or not having certain features, he compared only the hardware of the two phones.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I knew the g2 was a bit better as far as battery and camera... I did not expect the screen on the G2 to be so much better than the nexus. I have the same exact image as the wallpaper on both.. on the G2 the water is blue as it is supposed to be... on the Nexus it is a washed out almost teal color. The g2 just kills the speaker on the nexus as well.

I can deal with the smaller battery... I supposed I can live with the weaker speaker.. but I don't know about this screen. The only real benefit I'm seeing so far by using this nexus is the extra money I'll make after selling my G2 but now I'm really second guessing myself and considering keeping the g2 afterall and returning this nexus. Seriously dissapointed in this screen. Not to mention the 3 different places I have light leakage.

Anyway.. hate to come in here and just ***** about the phone but if you check my post history I've never complained about a phone like this when I first got it.. usually I think it's the greatest thing every when I first get it set up. If I could take the back off the nexus and slap it over that crappy plastic on the back of the g2 I think I'd have a perfect device. That and add kitkat.
I think the G2 is a better phone overall, hardware-wise. Higher MP camera, better battery, expandable storage.

The only reason to get a nexus over it is if you really hate LG's UI (which I do) and do not care about updates that much. And I guess there is the price too.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I think the G2 is a better phone overall, hardware-wise. Higher MP camera, better battery, expandable storage.

The only reason to get a nexus over it is if you really hate LG's UI (which I do) and do not care about updates that much. And I guess there is the price too.

I completely agree with this. I have the G2 and will be using it and/or my GS4 and returning the N5. I gave the N5 three days and tried really, really hard to like it more than the other two, but it seemed like I was working too hard to like it and make it work like the others. It is a good phone, don't get me wrong, just not as good as the other high end phones (in my opinion). The price and getting updates directly from Google are its obvious strong points.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of the arguments going back and forth here kinda miss the point...

Google has done a pretty job at establishing what the Nexus brand "is", as well as what it "isn't". To Google, the most important aspect of the Nexus devices is the OS. Android is what Google is focused on here, and the Nexus phones are designed to provide the best Google Android experience possible. In terms of CPU, RAM, display technology, and internal computing specs, Nexus delivers top of the line...because if you want to showcase your operating system, you should put it on a system that can run it with ease and look good while doing it. Keeping with this mentality, Nexus phones will always be the first to get the newest version of Android. To a whole lot of Nexus fans, this is EXACTLY what they want in a phone.

What the Nexus line is not going to have are all the extra bells and whistles. Some may call them features, some may call them gimmicks. Some may clamor for them, others may think that they suck. You're not going to get SD card support or OEM lauchers packed with widgets and proprietary apps or anything else that major manufacturers pack into their flagship devices to make them appealing to the masses (though, you could argue, what they are really doing is trying to set themselves apart from Nexus). Part of the reason Nexus devices are less expensive to buy outright has to be because they tend to be rather simplistic devices. Personally, I like the approach too...instead of cutting corners on the performance components of their devices, Google's approach seems to be more of, "Let's only include what we absolutely have to, but make sure what we do include is high-quality"

I've owned both the Galaxy S3 and S4, and I found both to be incredible devices...but I have become frustrated waiting for updates and dealing with locked bootloaders that prevent me from installing ROMs...that's why I've decided to move on to the Nexus line.

Bottom line? Different folks have different expectations of what they want to get out of their devices...for some, Nexus is the obvious choice, but it certainly may not be for everyone.

There's only 2 other phones on the market where the OEM has made a fork of android sophisticated enough that I could actually enjoy their model and their own updates as much as immediate updates of stock Android. Those phones are the Moto-X with its Active features, and the Note 3 and its S-Pen features (which are really amazing if you take the time to look at them all in in depth video reviews). The G2 doesn't bring anything as great as those features to the table.

I would want stock android OS updates fast on an OEM phone that doesn't bring really sophisticated features of its own to the table, but that won't happen unlesss I shell out $700 for a GE phone, which would be silly to do when I could simply grab a Nexus 5 for much less. Not sure why the HTC One is a world beater really. Aluminum unibody? Boom sound? Sense 5 and Blinkfeed? The Note 3 and Moto X have made much better feature sets than that.

I might be convinced to accept delayed updates on the Moto X as long as Motorola kept adding and refining cool stuff on their own (sadly unless you're American, Motorola just ain't that concerned about you and updates though last time I owned one). I know I could definitely be convinced to accept the Note 3's feature set over immediate stock android updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag