Will you be getting the Pixel Tablet?

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to cancel my pre-order. Apparently there will be no keyboard case for this. This is so [language redacted by Mod] stupid.

I understand this is not going to be some crazy productivity machine, but a lot of us have jobs or needs where We just need to send a bunch of emails out and maybe mess with a Google doc or something.

I was going to take this with me on a week long vacation in August instead of my laptop. Now it's pointless because I'm going to need to send emails and I don't want to carry around a Bluetooth keyboard plus a case. I'll just bring my laptop at this point and save the money on a tablet that is turned out to be super inconvenient for a very basic need and task.

Google is so dumb sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I understand the frustration, but Google is clearly aiming this at the home use crowd. The hardware execs themselves have specifically talked about how the vast majority of tablet use is at home, and that's why they positioned the tablet this way.

Hopefully there will be some decent 3rd party keyboard cases that become available.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
My wife got one yesterday. Nice size and build quality but we almost thought she'd have to return it and start over with something else. The problem was that it would not work with Hulu. It kept saying that it couldn't determine location, even though Location services were enabled, and the device showed that Hulu had requested and been granted location. We tried the usual stuff... cleared cache and data, restarted device, tried access via Chrome and Firefox, even tried uninstall/reinstall of the app. Nothing worked. Finally, I dug into the settings in a last ditch effort to find something before factory resetting and returning to Amazon. It turns out that there is a deeply buried system setting for "enhanced location" and it can only be gotten to by manually navigating there; the Settings search bar doesn't find it. The path is:
Settings > Location > Location services > Google Location Accuracy > Improve Location Accuracy

Funny thing is, other streaming services she tried (Youtube, Tubi, Peacock, Freevee) all worked fine without this setting enabled. I searched the Hulu FAQ page and the Hulu user forum, but there is no mention of this. Maybe there should be.

Now that this is settled, she likes the device. It's great for media consumption, and the included speaker dock and Ring doorbell integration are nice touches.

Reactions: Bkdodger1

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up one with the 40% discount I got from Google (Play Pass, maybe?). So far I'm really enjoying it, I'm going to be able to use Mobile Sheets Pro on it for some choral groups I'm in. I had been using a Lenovo Duet 3 Chromebook, but I really don't need the keyboard when it's docked or used as a true tablet. I am looking for a case for it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up one with the 40% discount I got from Google (Play Pass, maybe?). So far I'm really enjoying it, I'm going to be able to use Mobile Sheets Pro on it for some choral groups I'm in. I had been using a Lenovo Duet 3 Chromebook, but I really don't need the keyboard when it's docked or used as a true tablet. I am looking for a case for it.
That's a great deal! I continue to enjoy my Pixel Tablet immensely. Excellent for gaming, and works well as a laptop replacement for the things I typically do. I got the Speck MagFolio case, which isn't perfect, but I specifically wanted the magnetic attachment, since I frequently put it in the case and then remove it, and don't like trying to pry it out each time: https://speckproducts.com/products/magfolio-google-pixel-tablet-cases

Reactions: J Dubbs and jhilker

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
That's a great deal! I continue to enjoy my Pixel Tablet immensely. Excellent for gaming, and works well as a laptop replacement for the things I typically do. I got the Speck MagFolio case, which isn't perfect, but I specifically wanted the magnetic attachment, since I frequently put it in the case and then remove it, and don't like trying to pry it out each time: https://speckproducts.com/products/magfolio-google-pixel-tablet-cases
That looks perfect for me, and Amazon has it 25% off. Nice!

Limited-time deal: Speck Google Pixel Tablet Case & Stand 2023 - Slim Foldable Design, Adjustable Viewing Angles, Camera Lens Protection Google Pixel Tablet Stand & Case - On, Off Magnet - Black & White MagFolio https://a.co/d/8RjfXZP