The Future of the Nexus Line

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minority but I'm being honest and not making any excuses for the device. In terms of materials and feel, there is nothing but average here.

Outside the of the great screen and performance, its extremely blah. At least the ceramic buttons are kinda cool.

Posted via Android Central App

I'm also being honest and not making excuses.
:)

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know who'll make the next Nexus phone, and I'm not that concerned about it. Google's goal with the nexus phones are two-fold: to give consumers a pure Google experience, and to do so at a reasonable enough price to loosen the grip of carriers over devices. That's why Google has been perfectly content to leave Verizon out in the last two iterations of the phone.

We can expect the next Nexus phone to follow in these footsteps. The more people come to detest and opt out of the carrier subsidy-contract model, the better for Google's ultimate goal of converging user experiences regardless of device (ergo KitKat being super low resource compatible and Google breaking off apps and making them available through the play store).

But any carrier-subsidized phone running Android with Google Play Services is still a win for Google.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I just hope they pick someone that can afford to make it less cheap.

Let's be honest- The Nexus 5 is a cheap feeling phone. Specs are excellent but this is arguably the least premium feeling Nexus ever. I know that's not the point of the phone, which really is to create an inexpensive phone primarily for developers to use with current specs. Giving the public a "true Google experience" is secondary.

That being said I think they can do a little better and I'd like to see the next manufacturer do just that.

I don't think it feels cheap. The soft touch coating feels great and it's very solid while maintaining a light weight feel which I supposed could be taken as feeling cheap. It's much better than the s4 in terms of feeling solid and durable, of course it's not as substantial as the HTC One but what is. I definitely prefer this years soft touch back vs last year's glass back.

Sent from my Nexus 5

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree that it doesn't feel cheap, it is actually surprisingly nice in my opinion. Is it a jewel like the One or iPhone? no. It is as nice as a Samsung. Yes.

As much as I would like to see Sony build the next nexus, I just don't see it happening. A "budget" minded product with limited branding opportunity just doesn't seem to fit with where Sony is headed. I don't see Sony building this phone at a price that allows it to be sold at $350.

What would be great however is the idea of multiple Nexus devices, with one of them throwing back to the old days of Google showcasing the ultimate potential of the platform. An elite version of the Nexus that has premium materials, and higher tier specs. Like this year we might have seen 4gb of ram, >3000mah, MEMS camera, hifi speakers, 4k screen. Off the charts specs. They might bundle it with a qi charger. They would not even try to make it affordable, it may even be limited production.

That is my dream!

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
But any carrier-subsidized phone running Android with Google Play Services is still a win for Google.

True, but then so are people using Google apps on iOS. Google has figured out a way to make money no matter what device you're using. However, and this is purely a guess, I think Google does have a problem with carriers holding back software updates a s keeping people from the Google experience, as well as with contracts. That's what Google is specifically going after with the nexus program. But hey, I don't work for Google, so your guess is as good as mine.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
True, but then so are people using Google apps on iOS. Google has figured out a way to make money no matter what device you're using. However, and this is purely a guess, I think Google does have a problem with carriers holding back software updates a s keeping people from the Google experience, as well as with contracts. That's what Google is specifically going after with the nexus program. But hey, I don't work for Google, so your guess is as good as mine.

I see Google Play Services plus making their apps available in the Play Store as a play against carriers (and OEMs that don't dedicate resources to updates).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty