Battery Life

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Everything I'm reading about the battery life (the wide range of good and not good reports) upsets me and honestly turns me off from an otherwise desirable phone.

Does anyone know why the Nexus 5 has only 2300 mAh while the LG G2 has 3000? I initially thought it was a size issue, but now that I see they're both comparable in size/dimensions, why doesn't the Nexus 5 also have a similarly sized battery?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Figured. Can't do nothing about that since the building i work in has low cellular signal and WiFi that i can't connect to...
Any ideas besides turning on airplane mode or moving out of the building :p
there are days where Cell standby isn't even the top battery draining process.

It's really interesting you mention this. Back when I owned the Nexus 4, I noticed it struggled with maintaining signal whilst my previous phone, the iPhone didn't in all the same places. Then my HTC One got amazing battery life/signal strength, once again, in all the same places.

What is up with Nexus devices not having a strong enough antennae? Is that the culprit to all these screen shots of battery statuses with poor signals? Cell Standby seems to be one of the main causes of battery drain on Nexus devices.

It's troubling reading all this...

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The searching for signal part is your main culprit. The antenna's take a significant amount of power and CPU time when they are constantly trying to acquire and hold onto signal. The weaker your signal the more power they draw trying to do anything with the signal.

Do you know why the Nexus radios seem weaker than other devices? Cell Standby seems to be one of the main causes of battery drain on Nexus devices.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus battery woes is all very disheartening to read. I may cancel my order.

It just seems, year after year, Google can't seem to get this right. I really understand and appreciate Josh Topolsky's Verge review, now -- "good enough" isn't good enough anymore for the Nexus program if Google wants to get serious about getting this phone into people's hands. The price should no longer be an excuse.

It's such a dilemma. I love and want stock Android, but hate the compromises that the hardware requires..

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Do you know why the Nexus radios seem weaker than other devices? Cell Standby seems to be one of the main causes of battery drain on Nexus devices.

The problem with the N5 seems to be that some people (myself included) are reporting absolutely excellent reception, while others say it sucks. I rally am not exaggerating when I say that no other phone I've ever had had reception this great. I get 3G all over my house where not even the two Lumias I had before would go over EDGE. And at work I have 4-5 bars of 4G where all my other phones would default to 3G or even EDGE on a regular basis. Battery life has also been great for me.

Those who are saying reception and battery life is bad: are you on AT&T? I have the European model and I've read some comments from T-Mobile users saying that reception is perfect. But many AT&T customers seem to be complaining. This could be a frequency issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The problem with the N5 seems to be that some people (myself included) are reporting absolutely excellent reception, while others say it sucks. I rally am not exaggerating when I say that no other phone I've ever had had reception this great. I get 3G all over my house where not even the two Lumias I had before would go over EDGE. And at work I have 4-5 bars of 4G where all my other phones would default to 3G or even EDGE on a regular basis. Battery life has also been great for me.

Those who are saying reception and battery life is bad: are you on AT&T? I have the European model and I've read some comments from T-Mobile users saying that reception is perfect. But many AT&T customers seem to be complaining. This could be a frequency issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm on T-Mobile. If I have trouble with signal, should I get a new SIM card? It's been a while... Could that be the culprit?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Are there any reports of that hissing/static sound that was emitting from the earpiece speaker that plagued the Nexus 4 last year recurring with the Nexus 5?

I remember that being a big point of contention and a reason behind the Nexus 4's poor battery performance. Any evidence of that rearing its head again with the 5?

- - - Updated - - -

the intitial battery life when the phone is new is not a good estimator of how good the battery is. try gauge after say 3 months

Why three months? Very curious.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Everything I'm reading about the battery life (the wide range of good and not good reports) upsets me and honestly turns me off from an otherwise desirable phone.

Does anyone know why the Nexus 5 has only 2300 mAh while the LG G2 has 3000? I initially thought it was a size issue, but now that I see they're both comparable in size/dimensions, why doesn't the Nexus 5 also have a similarly sized battery?

it actually comes down to cost & size of the phone. LG G2 has a step battery design and it most likely costs more. also the LG G2 battery is about 7mm longer than the nexus 5 battery.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
it actually comes down to cost & size of the phone. LG G2 has a step battery design and it most likely costs more. also the LG G2 battery is about 7mm longer than the nexus 5 battery.

Ah, I assumed it was price.

Sigh, the price tag is great (who wouldn't love it?) but the compromises that seem to come with every Nexus device is getting frustrating...

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to state my experience. After 5 days with phone I can say that battery life is better than N4. Maybe 20% to 25%. The first couple of days weren't so good because of the constant playing and set up, as well as the battery being new. After a few charging cycles I've noticed the improvement. Not earthshaking but definitely better than N4 and good enough for me.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
coming from a Sprint (CDMA) G-Nex (with OEM Extended Battery) to this Nexus 5 on (AT&T). the Nexus 5 is a lot better but i'm still testing it.

gmhotch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I must have a gem. Here's day two battery life and screen on time.
bemy4aty.jpg
ubynyhyd.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jamie

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I found one of my main battery drain culprits. Sorry if it's already been mentioned. It was scanning always available. I turned this off and battery life is much better.

Posted via Nexus 5

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I found one of my main battery drain culprits. Sorry if it's already been mentioned. It was scanning always available. I turned this off and battery life is much better.

Posted via Nexus 5

Hi - Can you tell me where this option was? Was it under Wifi? My battery is also getting a drained a lot. Especially overnight.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I am happy with battery life. It is a bit better(not hugely) than my N4 with screen on, but at idle it is AMAZINGLY better. I am on 21hours and 46min, with only 45min calling, 40 min screen time and I am at 81%. The idle on my N4 just drained...Seems like if it was idle all day it would be down to like 50% or so.

I am very happy with phone, a good bump from the N4. Not necessary, but I wanted an early present for myself...ha.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08