Nexus 5: My First 72 Hours

JABacchetta

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a few notes after using the Nexus 5 for a few days (coming from a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze):

- The phone, overall, is awesome.

- "Ok Google" is now a must-have feature moving forward. Love it. Unfortunately, they handicapped it on the Nexus 5, making it only usable when the screen is turned on with the homescreen up.

- Love the app grouping feature. Makes for a nice, clean homescreen (big deal if you're a minimalist like me).

- Although I can't personally compare the camera to other flagship phones currently on the market, I can say that if you're coming from a 2-year-old phone, this will be a HUGE upgrade. All of the camera criticism had me worried for no reason.

- The speakers, on the other hand, are a major letdown. A downgrade from my old phone. Good luck being able to hear anything if there's a lot of background noise.

- Reading on the Nexus 5 is an absolute dream. Text is crisp and clear. I had no idea this would be such a major factor for me. Never even thought about it for a second. Now, reading on any other device is such a disappointment.

- Battery life is decent. Can't really complain, but certainly would have liked to see a larger battery primarily for the peace of mind.

- Needless to say, it's a big phone. I can no longer one-hand most activities (I've got an XL hand). Will take some getting used to.

- Speaker happens to be placed in the exact position that I rest one of my fingers at when holding the phone. Have to constantly remind myself to move my hand.

- Phone looks and feels great. I like the minimalism and the smooth-feeling back . . . although it does make fingerprints look terrible.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The phone seems small to me coming from the Note 3. I really love the build. Bit will be glad when my cases come in. I love the onscreen buttons. Missed this from my Nexus 4. I don't really have any complaints about it. The phone is super fast. I would even go as far as saying that it is smoother than my iPhone 5. I haven't had any hiccups this far. Really happy I was able to trade my Note to get this.

Sent from my Nexus 5

leafs123

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree on the fingerprints and that's why I got a spigen ultra fit case. Also protect the stupid serial number label which will probably wear off at some point.

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Just a few notes after using the Nexus 5 for a few days (coming from a Samsung Galaxy S Blaze):

- The phone, overall, is awesome.

- "Ok Google" is now a must-have feature moving forward. Love it. Unfortunately, they handicapped it on the Nexus 5, making it only usable when the screen is turned on with the homescreen up.

- Love the app grouping feature. Makes for a nice, clean homescreen (big deal if you're a minimalist like me).

- Although I can't personally compare the camera to other flagship phones currently on the market, I can say that if you're coming from a 2-year-old phone, this will be a HUGE upgrade. All of the camera criticism had me worried for no reason.

- The speakers, on the other hand, are a major letdown. A downgrade from my old phone. Good luck being able to hear anything if there's a lot of background noise.

- Reading on the Nexus 5 is an absolute dream. Text is crisp and clear. I had no idea this would be such a major factor for me. Never even thought about it for a second. Now, reading on any other device is such a disappointment.

- Battery life is decent. Can't really complain, but certainly would have liked to see a larger battery primarily for the peace of mind.

- Needless to say, it's a big phone. I can no longer one-hand most activities (I've got an XL hand). Will take some getting used to.

- Speaker happens to be placed in the exact position that I rest one of my fingers at when holding the phone. Have to constantly remind myself to move my hand.

- Phone looks and feels great. I like the minimalism and the smooth-feeling back . . . although it does make fingerprints look terrible.

"OK Goole" works from any screen as long as the phone isn't locked.
I am surprised by the big phone comment, i am coming from an HTC One and the phone isn't much bigger but i have used everything one handed including copy paste and i by no means have xl hands.

JABacchetta

May 12, 2012
Visit site
"OK Goole" works from any screen as long as the phone isn't locked.
I am surprised by the big phone comment, i am coming from an HTC One and the phone isn't much bigger but i have used everything one handed including copy paste and i by no means have xl hands.

By "any screen" I think you're referring to any of the homepage screens (i.e. swiping left and right from the homescreen)? Or if you're using the search bar. Such a powerful feature like that should be available at all times. It does not work when using the browser, or while using any of the apps, etc. It should also have an option to use it to unlock the phone. Although, according to Wired.com, Google will be adding to the feature as soon as next week with an update (including in-app commands and the ability to ask you questions about those commands).

Yeah, if you're already coming from a large phone I'm sure it won't be much of a difference. But for the mainstream–that is, people who typically buy phones every two years or so–it'll definitely be a change. Not necessarily saying it's a bad thing. But somewhere along the line consumers are going to need to decide what is an acceptable size for a phone that'll likely be placed in their pocket. I personally would never buy anything larger than the Nexus 5.

It's certainly possible to one-hand activities, but it's definitely not always comfortable. In other words, it's not effortless. If you typically rest the phone in the palm of your hand, the majority of people will not be able to, for example, click into the url address bar in the browser (without changing the position of their hand). Another example . . . being right-handed, I have to fully extend my thumb to reach the letter "q" on the keyboard, causing the tendons in my hand to tighten significantly.

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
By "any screen" I think you're referring to any of the homepage screens (i.e. swiping left and right from the homescreen)? Or if you're using the search bar. Such a powerful feature like that should be available at all times. It does not work when using the browser, or while using any of the apps, etc. It should also have an option to use it to unlock the phone. Although, according to Wired.com, Google will be adding to the feature as soon as next week with an update (including in-app commands and the ability to ask you questions about those commands).

Yeah, if you're already coming from a large phone I'm sure it won't be much of a difference. But for the mainstream–that is, people who typically buy phones every two years or so–it'll definitely be a change. Not necessarily saying it's a bad thing. But somewhere along the line consumers are going to need to decide what is an acceptable size for a phone that'll likely be placed in their pocket. I personally would never buy anything larger than the Nexus 5.

It's certainly possible to one-hand activities, but it's definitely not always comfortable. In other words, it's not effortless. If you typically rest the phone in the palm of your hand, the majority of people will not be able to, for example, click into the url address bar in the browser (without changing the position of their hand). Another example . . . being right-handed, I have to fully extend my thumb to reach the letter "q" on the keyboard, causing the tendons in my hand to tighten significantly.

Yes that is what i meant and now i see and agree with you it should work across the board,hopefully the update will come soon. I thought the IPhone 3GS was huge once, lol. And if this is big then how about the note 2 or 3, or worse the Galaxy mega?!