Insurance For Nexus 5??

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a Nexus 5 on Friday and it will arrive first week of December. My question for y'all is will I be able to insure it just in case something happens to it (drops, stolen, etc.)?? I'm not usually clumsy with my phone.. I never broke one but you never know. This is my first Nexus and first time going prepaid as well..

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I had thought about adding SquareTrade to my Nexus 5, but then decided against it. If something happens to the phone it was only $399. I think I'll take the risk without insurance. :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I had thought about adding SquareTrade to my Nexus 5, but then decided against it. If something happens to the phone it was only $399. I think I'll take the risk without insurance. :)

+1 on this. I usually insure my devices but will probably not on my Nexus 5. Although Square trade is transferable.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm.. I never heard of SquareTrade but I will check them out. Thanks!

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
+1 on this. I usually insure my devices but will probably not on my Nexus 5. Although Square trade is transferable.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

Ya'll are probably right.. If I break my Nexus I'll probably just buy another one or get a Moto G since it'll be cheap.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.. I never heard of SquareTrade but I will check them out. Thanks!

You've never heard of square trade :eek: Just kidding. But they are good. And if you decide to purchase a plan with them, be sure to do a google search for promotion codes for 30%. The have these deals a couple times a week.

Also, it could depend on the method of which you purchased it. For instance, some credit cards provide a certain level of protection if that specific card is used. So depending on the card, the benefit good be really good or non-existent. Lastly, my homeowner's insurance covers certain electronics depending on what happened. Same for my renter's insurance. Smartphones are a apart of my coverage. Again, it depends on your policy on what benefits you get. I mean I wouldn't recommend filing a claim with homeowner's or renter's for device but again it depends on your policy.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What carrier will you be using the Nexus 5 with? Sprint insures the 16 GB model, not the 32 GB. I'm not sure about any of the other carriers. But do take a look at Square Trade should you consider insuring the device and be sure you know what is/not covered with the insurance.

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
i called squaretrade, proved that i was an existing customer (tv from costco), and they gave me a 30% off coupon, i paid:

$87.50 for two years, plus $99 flat fee per claim = $186.50 to replace a $399 device.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What carrier will you be using the Nexus 5 with? Sprint insures the 16 GB model, not the 32 GB. I'm not sure about any of the other carriers. But do take a look at Square Trade should you consider insuring the device and be sure you know what is/not covered with the insurance.

Just curious, does Sprint insure a phone not purchased from them?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
They are also now running their monthly payment plans again for 7.99. This is nearly equivalent to what carriers are doing now. 7.99 x 2 years is pricey but I assume you can cancel the coverage anytime which makes it out not to be a bad deal in case your carrier (which most don't) won't insure a device you didn't get from them and you have limited options. Paying the full price upfront - 30% discount is the cheapest option in the long run and if you decide to cancel it you get a pro rated amount back.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    274 KB · Views: 43

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, does Sprint insure a phone not purchased from them?
Yes. And in the case with the Nexus 5, they've gone on record saying they will insure the 16 GB model, not the 32. Here is a thread Phil started posting an internal memo discussing such: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/330910-sprint-activation-tips-internal-memo.html

On a side note, I have purchased devices from friends & through Ebay for activation on Sprint and still was able to keep the insurance on the device.

dazz87

May 28, 2011
Visit site
i called squaretrade, proved that i was an existing customer (tv from costco), and they gave me a 30% off coupon, i paid:

$87.50 for two years, plus $99 flat fee per claim = $186.50 to replace a $399 device.

Love square trade but to me it's not worth dropping 186.50 for a 399 phone. I rather use that money toward a new phone. Btw is square trade going to refund your purchase price or they going to fix the phone?

Posted via Android Central App

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Love square trade but to me it's not worth dropping 186.50 for a 399 phone. I rather use that money toward a new phone. Btw is square trade going to refund your purchase price or they going to fix the phone?

Posted via Android Central App

They'll see if it's something they can fix. If not, they'll pay you the purchase price.

JmommaC123

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes you will be able to insure it. I know for fact at least you can with ProtectCELL. I have the ProtectCELL Complete plan with them; which literally covers everything. A lot of people think it?s a waste of money but you never know when you?re going to accidentally crack your phone, or drop it in water.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana