Sprint Nexus 5 Locked to Carrier

bgruber17

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen this specific question asked, so I'm hoping that someone can answer it:

I currently have a Note II as my daily driver. I love it. It is outstanding. I also have an unlocked Sprint iPhone 4s specifically for when the family travels over seas, as I can just drop a prepaid phone/data card into it. Seeing as how there is one model for the US that appears to be either for Sprint/TMob/Att, is it possible that the Nexus 5 has the capability of being unlocked and used over seas with a prepaid card?

Or should I keep a hold of the iPhone 4s for those trips?

Thanks for any valued input.

bgruber17

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
the Nexus 5 (U.S. Version) is unlocked and can be used with most prepaid micro SIM cards internationally. however - LTE will not be compatible everywhere in the world due to band differences.

So, what I'm getting from that particular article is that the phone will work in places like the UK and Ireland, but due to lack of firmware support for GSM LTE, it's not likely to support 4G there. But that does seal the deal? The firmware support could come?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It is not firmware related. It is hardware related as in antenna design and physical radio band support. That's why Google has to make two different models.

bgruber17

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It is not firmware related. It is hardware related as in antenna design and physical radio band support. That's why Google has to make two different models.

I appreciate your explanation. I'm definitely interested in this phone. The price point t can hardly be beat, but I'm still leaning towards the. NOTE 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38