Is my new phone carrier-locked?

gkelson12

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a used Galaxy S22+ and I think it is not unlocked as advertised. However, I'd like to run it by you all before returning it. What surprises me is that everything works for the first few minutes! Anyway, here's what I experience after inserting the SIM from my old phone:

- I can make calls and texts for a few minutes. I also get 5G (Wi-Fi is off). Works flawlessly.
- After a few minutes, a screen pops up saying "Network lock. Enter service provider unlock code. Your phone isn't allowed to use this SIM card.
- A notification appears on the phone: "Invalid SIM card. Network locked SIM card inserted."
- If I go to Connections > Network Operators and scan for networks, I see several: T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T.
- If I select T-Mobile from this list, it says "Registering on T-Mobile..." for a minute and then says "Unable to connect. Try later."

gkelson12

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
- The phone is refurbished from Amazon
- The model is Galaxy S22+ (SM-S906U1)
- The SIM card is from my old phone, a Galaxy S9+.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
- The phone is refurbished from Amazon
- The model is Galaxy S22+ (SM-S906U1)
- The SIM card is from my old phone, a Galaxy S9+.
Welcome to AC!

The model SM-S906U1 IS SAMSUNG unlocked model automatically, so can you give me the software page screenshot? Go to settings>about phone>software and take a screenshot

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
If the SIM card is from your d S9+ I'd look at getting a new card, they might have updated it since Tmobile bought Sprint

gkelson12

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, @mustang7757. Here is the requested screenshot. I called Verizon today and they basically said that the phone should be unlocked but there must be something making it locked. They said perhaps someone still owes money on it and suggested I return it to the Amazon seller.

It seems that photo upload isn't working, so here's a link to the screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJUZPdYgA3ZXxYx8A

Could an out-dated SIM card be the issue, as mach1man said? Perhaps I could take it to a T-Mobile store to have them try a new SIM?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, @mustang7757. Here is the requested screenshot. I called Verizon today and they basically said that the phone should be unlocked but there must be something making it locked. They said perhaps someone still owes money on it and suggested I return it to the Amazon seller.

It seems that photo upload isn't working, so here's a link to the screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJUZPdYgA3ZXxYx8A

Could an out-dated SIM card be the issue, as mach1man said? Perhaps I could take it to a T-Mobile store to have them try a new SIM?
Welcome

Where it says service provider software information tmb/tmb/tmb/vzw

This was originally Verizon device so contact the person you bought it and get another device, if it was unlocked it would read XAA in place of VZW

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you look at my screenshot of my Flip 4 it ends with XAA which is Samsung unlock
bae068dba339411a161fff12fc5c6a7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Your welcome!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I have a question. My phone purchased through Samsung is a T-Mobile variant. I have it network unlocked from T-Mobile now. If I sell it, anyone else should be able to use it on any network, correct? But my base band is not changed. So how would I prove this to someone when I want to sell it? Just curious.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a question. My phone purchased through Samsung is a T-Mobile variant. I have it network unlocked from T-Mobile now. If I sell it, anyone else should be able to use it on any network, correct? But my base band is not changed. So how would I prove this to someone when I want to sell it? Just curious.
Hi, if you unlocked it it is capable to work on all carrier, proof TMobile had to sent you device unlock email as they dont usually automatically do that unless you requested .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The other option go to your account on TMobile website through browser or app and choose your device rhen choose unlocked and it will its sim free if thats unlocked and take a screenshot of it