iphone to nexus 5 sms issues

audibink

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I am not sure how to explain this issue. I went from a iphone 4s to a nexus 5.

I am currently having issues receiving text from random iphone uses. I read a ton of stuff about imessaging and that apple needs to remove your phone and information from my account which they did and I still cant receive some SMS. I cant get any from my mom and brother so I had them delete my contact and re-enter my phone number and it still fails when they try and send to me.

My dad and most of my friends can send me SMS from their iphones just fine.

Not sure what else to try... thoughts?

c0rbindallas

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've gone through the same troubles in making the switch from iPhone so hopefully this will help you. I've discovered this to be an iOS 7 issue. By default iOS 7 selects to send messages first by using imessage. That's great if your only talking to people with iphones. BUT if you change devices now all the previous people you've communicated with have to go into their settings under messages and check off the box that says "send as SMS if imessage isn't available". After that you SHOULD be able to receive their messages.

Posted via Android Central App

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've gone through the same troubles in making the switch from iPhone so hopefully this will help you. I've discovered this to be an iOS 7 issue. By default iOS 7 selects to send messages first by using imessage. That's great if your only talking to people with iphones. BUT if you change devices now all the previous people you've communicated with have to go into their settings under messages and check off the box that says "send as SMS if imessage isn't available". After that you SHOULD be able to receive their messages.

Posted via Android Central App

This is the easy fix, but everyone with an iPhone needs to do it. You need to log into your Apple ID account on a PC, go to my devices, find the iPhone, and delete it. After 24 hours the change should work.
But, you need to make sure that any other apple devices like iPads or iPods or macs do not have your phone number attached to iMessage or FaceTime. Check the settings for that.

brett_f

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
This is the easy fix, but everyone with an iPhone needs to do it. You need to log into your Apple ID account on a PC, go to my devices, find the iPhone, and delete it. After 24 hours the change should work.
But, you need to make sure that any other apple devices like iPads or iPods or macs do not have your phone number attached to iMessage or FaceTime. Check the settings for that.

I've had the same problem. My understanding is that if you change your Apple ID password, it will automatically "unregister" all of your devices from iMessage. My experience is that this only helps... a little. Even after doing EVERYTHING that's ever been posted online about how to get out of this issue, I still have people using an iPhone that try to send me a text and it fails. If they enable "send as SMS if iMessage isn't available" it will still fail and then send as text.. and I will get it.

A bigger issue is even after enabling that option, I sometimes don't get messages from folks in a group message. As an example, if my wife sends a group message to me and 2 other people (both iPhone users) the message will send as an iMessage. The 2 other folks will receive it, but I won't. And, there is no indication to my wife or anyone else that I'm not getting them.

It's a real pain. Very aggravating. I've heard rumor (online) that if you wait 30 days, the problem will go away. Some sort of time out value on the Apple servers that automatically deletes your number after 30 days of not "being seen".

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
When I left Apple everyone that would text me with a iPhone went to my i4 via Wi-Fi and everyone else's texts went to my new Android phone that used my ported phone number. I just pulled out the Sim card from my i4 and in a day my friends with a iPhone that texted me started appearing on my Android phone.

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Apple is just boneheaded sometimes. If they thought things through and just made an iMessage app available on Android, it would solve this problem - AND, they probably could have killed Hangouts in the same breath. But hey, they want to lose the mobile war to Google; who am I to stop them? I'm slowly converting my iPhone friends to Hangouts - which IS available on the iOS platform, and they like it.

canucks4life

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I work for a cell carrier up here in Canada and yes this is a huge issue for people trying to break free from Apple's chains.

Best two things that can help is login http://supportprofile.apple.com and remove your old phone if listed and then on https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/directToSignIn?localang=en_US change your Apple id password.

Unfortunately this will do nothing for friends/family who have currently iMessage turned ON but Send as SMS OFF...I find a lot of people don't even know what SMS means and have it turned off :(

sell92612

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I've read all the above posts. I was a previous iPhone 4 user and switched to the LG Nexus 5. (I live in Ontario, Canada and using the Bell network BTW) Nothing but problems receiving tests from my iphone buddies, I'd only receive my messages on my iphone 4 via wifi instead of my Nexus. What worked for me was the following....On my iphone, I went to settings>>messages>>>turned off iMessage and removed the SIM card from my iphone (search how to remove a SIM card from your device if you're unsure) and voila! I'm now receiving test messages on my Nexus 5! Hurray....BTW..I tried the steps above about what the poster above (canucks4life) said about deactivating my iphone on the apple website and it was a complete waste of time...i was never registered with them in the first place even though I had an itunes account previously set up (weird I know). Try it! It worked for me!

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I work for a cell carrier up here in Canada and yes this is a huge issue for people trying to break free from Apple's chains.

Best two things that can help is login http://supportprofile.apple.com and remove your old phone if listed and then on https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/directToSignIn?localang=en_US change your Apple id password.

Unfortunately this will do nothing for friends/family who have currently iMessage turned ON but Send as SMS OFF...I find a lot of people don't even know what SMS means and have it turned off :(

I work for a cellular carrier as well in Canada. I find that everything is working fine for SMS and MMS. BUT... The iPhone users always have to holds down on the blue imessage bubble and choose send as text in order to send the text successfully. Is there anything that you know of that will change this? Or can we blame iOS 7 for that?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a lot of problems with iMessage this time when I switched from the 5S to the Nexus 5. I of course disabled iMessage, but that didn't really fix my issue of people not being able to send me text messages from their iPhones. They had to delete any previous thread from me and also make sure that they had the function enabled to send SMS if not sending through iMessage. It has been a royal pain, but I think that I have finally gotten everything squared away. I believe there should be an easier way to disconnect from iMessage, but maybe this is Apple's way of punishing you for defecting.

BeatyLady

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
So it's been a couple months since this thread was actively buzzing, I just switched from my iPhone 5 to Nexus 5, love it. But am having the texting issue with iPhone users. I've done tech support with both Sprint and Apple, deactivated all of my iMessage junk... and a bunch of other stuff that I wasn't real sure of what was going on (sorry for the wording on that... terrible.) Has anyone else figured out anything new on this? I don't really feel like asking 98% of the people I talk to that they have to on the regular to change settings on their iPhones to be able to text me... Any help is appreciated!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty