Nexus 5: I want it but?

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
See my problem is I'm on Straight Talk. I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S2 which I love but I really want the Nexus 5. I want to get the software updates but you can't them on a tracfone/straight talk branded phone. The Nexus 5 would run off AT&T LTE and is not a tracfone/straight talk branded phone which in theory means I'd get updates from Google correct? What the pros and cons about the phone and if you have the Nexus 5 on straight talk please give me some insight so I dont end up wasting money. I just want a phone that I can update on straight talk and right now the Nexus 5 looks like the way to go. UNLESS you can tell me about a better phone around the same price.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: I want it but?

See my problem is I'm on Straight Talk. I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S2 which I love but I really want the Nexus 5. I want to get the software updates but you can't them on a tracfone/straight talk branded phone. The Nexus 5 would run off AT&T LTE and is not a tracfone/straight talk branded phone which in theory means I'd get updates from Google correct? What the pros and cons about the phone and if you have the Nexus 5 on straight talk please give me some insight so I dont end up wasting money. I just want a phone that I can update on straight talk and right now the Nexus 5 looks like the way to go. UNLESS you can tell me about a better phone around the same price.

Around the same price your options are Nexus 5 (fastest updates), Moto X (updates but not as fast), Moto G (updates but not as fast, but the cheapest option).

I think any of these options would be be a huge step up compared to your GS2. The moto G can be had for $179/199 (8 vs 16gb) the other 2 for $349/399 (16 vs 32gb) I believe.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

The Nexus 5 would run off AT&T LTE and is not a tracfone/straight talk branded phone which in theory means I'd get updates from Google correct?

Nexus 5 will get updates directly from Google - regardless of carrier (unless you go to a custom ROM of course)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Straight Talk with the AT&T LTE Sim, using a Nexus 5. Everything behaves and updates as if I was on Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile. Except for my monthly bill. I don't have to pay $100+ a month just to feel important like i've noticed some do. Straight Talk may be considered part of the "Tracfone" family, but the device itself is updated exactly the same was as it would with any other carrier. I had the S3 on Straight Talk before and it got all the updates just like normal. I got the Nexus 5, and I got the 4.4.2 update very quickly, without any nonsense of it having to go through a major carrier.

As far as phones around the same price, you've got the Moto X and the Nexus 5. The Moto G is cheaper, but you give up quite a bit for that price point, so if you want something more comparable to the N5 i'd say look into the Moto X. Either device you will love.

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Ok so now I'm interested in both Nexus 5 and Moto X. Now here's part two? which phone has the better accessories? I'm talking docking stations, power pack/juice pack cases like Mophie but not that expensive lol, car docks, standard cases, etc. Things that I will use ya know? I really want a power pack/juice pack because I know the batteries stink so extra power at work without leaving my phone near a bunch of dude to mess with it sounds good to me.

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

How did you go about getting it set up on straight talk? Was there alot of headache or just throw in the sum card and your good? I hear most people have to mess around with APN settings and I have NO CLUE what that means.

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Straight Talk with the AT&T LTE Sim, using a Nexus 5. Everything behaves and updates as if I was on Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile. Except for my monthly bill. I don't have to pay $100+ a month just to feel important like i've noticed some do. Straight Talk may be considered part of the "Tracfone" family, but the device itself is updated exactly the same was as it would with any other carrier. I had the S3 on Straight Talk before and it got all the updates just like normal. I got the Nexus 5, and I got the 4.4.2 update very quickly, without any nonsense of it having to go through a major carrier.

As far as phones around the same price, you've got the Moto X and the Nexus 5. The Moto G is cheaper, but you give up quite a bit for that price point, so if you want something more comparable to the N5 i'd say look into the Moto X. Either device you will love.

How did you go about getting it set up on straight talk? Was there alot of headache or just throw in the sim card and your good? I hear most people have to mess around with APN settings and I have NO CLUE what that means.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Ok so now I'm interested in both Nexus 5 and Moto X. Now here's part two… which phone has the better accessories? I'm talking docking stations, power pack/juice pack cases like Mophie but not that expensive lol, car docks, standard cases, etc. Things that I will use ya know? I really want a power pack/juice pack because I know the batteries stink so extra power at work without leaving my phone near a bunch of dude to mess with it sounds good to me.

My highly advanced research methods show me that the Nexus 5 has 3x the amount of accessories as the Moto X.

*I went on Amazon and searched "Moto X Accessories" and got 54,111 results. Searching "Nexus 5 accessories" returned 169,999 results. Highly technical, I know!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

How did you go about getting it set up on straight talk? Was there alot of headache or just throw in the sim card and your good? I hear most people have to mess around with APN settings and I have NO CLUE what that means.

You get a little packet of information in the box that Straight Talk gives you, and it walks you through the whole process. It's extremely easy. I'd never done it before, and I have done it on 4 or 5 different phones since then and it was easy. Even porting your number is easy. And i'm not talking about how some techies say it's "easy" to root a device cause I don't feel like it is. But this is like super self explanatory and goes into very great detail but the steps are so easy. Trust me, if you can read, you can do it no problem. APN setting included. You do have to create a new APN (Access Point) but it's not difficult. And you wont ruin anything even if you made a mistake.

longtime44

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

You get a little packet of information in the box that Straight Talk gives you, and it walks you through the whole process. It's extremely easy. I'd never done it before, and I have done it on 4 or 5 different phones since then and it was easy. Even porting your number is easy. And i'm not talking about how some techies say it's "easy" to root a device cause I don't feel like it is. But this is like super self explanatory and goes into very great detail but the steps are so easy. Trust me, if you can read, you can do it no problem. APN setting included. You do have to create a new APN (Access Point) but it's not difficult. And you wont ruin anything even if you made a mistake.

Thank you for the info, very helpful.

Kingskiel

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

Pros:
LTE for multiple carriers.
Sleek and solid build.
Excellent price.
Crystal-clear calls.
Google Now is great.

Cons:
Screen is dimmer than its competitors.
The camera struggles under auto settings.
Android 4.4 KitKat is more conceptual than feature-rich.
Non-expandable memory.
Mediocre battery life.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Pros:
LTE for multiple carriers.
Sleek and solid build.
Excellent price.
Crystal-clear calls.
Google Now is great.

Cons:
Screen is dimmer than its competitors.
The camera struggles under auto settings.
Android 4.4 KitKat is more conceptual than feature-rich.
Non-expandable memory.
Mediocre battery life.

Having had my Nexus 5 for 3 months I very much agree with your Pros. However I'll have to disagree with your Cons.

1. The Auto brightness is why too aggressive. I always use manual brightness and then I can turn it up to rival the brightness of any competitor. At 50% brightness I seem to be brighter than others around me.
2. After the 4.4.2 update my camera no longer has issues. Everyone is impressed with the sharpness and quality of my photos.
3. Thankfully the Nexus line is NOT "feature rich" and has none of the "feature bloat" others have. That's a prime advantage of the Nexus line.
4. Not having expandable memory makes it possible to use contiguous memory architecture resulting in a faster system. I much prefer the speed, the convenience of having only one memory space for everything, and storing less frequently used items in the cloud.
5. I have no complaints with battery life. I consider myself a power user and can easily get through an entire day with no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

After the update my camera still has that one to two second pause. I've been disappointed with the performance of the camera. The quality is incredible but I hate that pause

Posted via Android Central App

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

There is a pause in HDR while the computer combines the images. The images are taken instantly in HDR though. I have no pause in non HDR mode. I love the image quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

There is a pause in HDR while the computer combines the images. The images are taken instantly in HDR though. I have no pause in non HDR mode. I love the image quality.

I agree with Trader Gary. No lag or delay with non-HDR pictures. If the lighting is poor then yes, there will be a delay as the device tries to focus.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I disagree with the screen brightness thing. I've heard people say it's a little dim but it's the only phone i've ever owned that has made me flinch in broad daylight at how bright the auto-brightness is. I mean this thing is aggressive to a fault. Just yesterday I was using it and it got so bright It must've thought I was on the sun.