Incoming Call Quality

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
there's been one thing that has been bugging me since i got the phone - incoming call quality. via the earpiece, voices sound like they are speaking on speaker phone or talking in a large empty room. volume is fine but something about the voice quality sounds... hollow... or like you are using a bluetooth headset in a windy area so you crank up the volume... i don't know how else to describe it. anyone else have this "problem"?

there is no problem with the mic on the phone since the other person says they can hear me fine. i can hear them fine too... without telling my wife anything, i asked her to try making a call with my phone and she too said something was a little off with the incoming call voice quality...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed any issues like that. What wireless provider are you using? I have T-Mobile, and the voice quality is equivalent to my old Razr Maxx on Verizon.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed any issues like that. What wireless provider are you using? I have T-Mobile, and the voice quality is equivalent to my old Razr Maxx on Verizon.
i have tmo as well.

i had a g2 prior to this and the voices sounded "true". the voices like i said sound like the people are on speaker phone or speaking in a large empty room on the other end. think i'll head to the store and see if another unit has the same issue.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both have the N5 on the TMobile network and we will have conversations where it sounds like she is standing right next to me. Clear and crisp and great. Then there will be other calls that they sound like any other phone call on a cell phone. Anyone know why that is? Because I would love to always have conversations where the calls are crystal clear like some of the calls I have.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something to consider is the signal quality, and device they are using.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Something to consider is the signal quality, and device they are using.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
my wife just picked up a nexus 5 and we tried calling each other AND swapped phones while one person was in the living room and one in the bedroom. signal strength and everything was the same. there is definitely incoming call quality issues on both of our phones - the sound coming through the ear piece is much like old school walkie talkie with sound cutting out/silent when the other party stops talking. i guess that's why i felt the sound sounded like someone was talking on speaker phone in a large room...

i'm going to contact google support and see what they have to say. i've made dozens of calls and they sound the same. i also tried a headset and that also exhibited the same symptoms. my guess is its a software issue since the call quality issue translated over to a plugged in headset as well...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
my wife just picked up a nexus 5 and we tried calling each other AND swapped phones while one person was in the living room and one in the bedroom. signal strength and everything was the same. there is definitely incoming call quality issues on both of our phones - the sound coming through the ear piece is much like old school walkie talkie with sound cutting out/silent when the other party stops talking. i guess that's why i felt the sound sounded like someone was talking on speaker phone in a large room...

i'm going to contact google support and see what they have to say. i've made dozens of calls and they sound the same. i also tried a headset and that also exhibited the same symptoms. my guess is its a software issue since the call quality issue translated over to a plugged in headset as well...

Hope everything goes well talking with Google. I like my N5. Great device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress