Getting A Nexus 5 Today, any tips?

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Haven't tried play music other than to play what's stored on my phone, but I did take a chance on the Beats Music app and so far I really like it.

Posted via Android Central App

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
You should consider whether you want to root the phone before downloading a load of apps. Rooting will wipe the phone when you unlock the bootloader. That may or may not be something you'll want to address early on.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
good apps to switch over from iOS? to get started? what about music?

Have Google Music sync to your iTunes so you'll be able to use all of your music through the Google Play Music app.

I'd also look for any important apps you have on iOS. Most of them will likely be on Android, so you'll probably be ok. Just about everything I use is on both platforms.

And make sure to ask questions, the people here are generally friendly and helpful. :)

Nice avatar, btw!

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, I also came from iOS and am loving every bit of my Nexus 5. A few thoughts for ya...

Turn off iMessage on your iPhone before switching.

Download Tasker or Automated Device. (Automates a lot of cool things based on location, gestures, opening apps)

Download Textra (or some other messaging app, many people here are not big fans of Hangouts as your main texing app)

Root- (iOS version of jailbreaking) some nice apps that help with battery life and "root" phone access (GPS among other things)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head....and welcome to Android!

macaroon9

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips guys! It's only been a few days but so far I'm loving it! As for Hangouts, I actually don't mind it, i like it.. i don't have many hangouts through google maybe that's why, it doesn't mix em up and everything.. but for me, hangouts with mostly texting only is going great!
I've been trying to find some cool live wallpapers too, so if anyone has one let me know! I know they can suck battery but I usually have a charger with me most of the time and i turn it off if i'm running low. And google play music isn't too bad for switching over either! It took everything from my iTunes and put it right on play music, very convenient!
Rooting is probably a good idea but for now i'm holding off of it a bit.I had a droid incredible a couple of years back and i'm loving that i can use widgets again. And yeah, most of the iOS apps are on the play store so no problem there.. Pretty seamless transition.. Photos got a bit tricky so i just got dropbox, put all my photostream ones there and set the automatic camera upload to dropbox.. I'm loving the cloud! Got my music there, my photos there, got alot of room for apps!

macaroon9

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Also, I've read alot online about how to root the Nexus 5..
I want to know why i should? What are your experiences with it? What all can i do after i root the phone?

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, I've read alot online about how to root the Nexus 5..
I want to know why i should? What are your experiences with it? What all can i do after i root the phone?

I would never have an Android device that was not rooted. Period. All sorts of choices depending on what you want. Overclocking (though not needed now and a pointless waste of battery life IMO), underclocking, undervolting, Greenify to extend battery life and increase performance, Titanium Backup to uninstall system apps and backup your phone, BBS to keep an eye on battery usage, custom ROMs and kernels due to the custom recovery you put on the device while rooting, and I also love Root Explorer. Rooting a Nexus device is as easy as it gets. Just refer to the rooting section of the Nexus 5 section and you're good to go!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk