Help! Transferring SMS/MMS from Samsung Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 5

GoGayleGo

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Finally got a Nexus 5, and am trying to figure out how to move all my SMS/MMS over. GNex uses "Messaging", while N5 uses Hangouts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Gayle

GoGayleGo

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Does that app also work for MMS, or just SMS?

Ugh, here's what the app info states:
Automatically backup SMS, MMS and call log entries using a separate label in Gmail / Google Calendar. It is also possible to restore SMS and call log entries back to the phone (MMS not supported yet).

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! To be 100% clear, you are saying MyBackup Pro and SMS Backup & Restore will work with a non-rooted phone?

Yep. When on Kit Kat, I had to go into the system settings and set MyBackup Pro as the default SMS app, then restore my backup, then go back into system settings and set Hangouts as my SMS app. I am not rooted. I think MyBackup Pro "should" do the above behind the scenes, but it doesn't, at least not for me.

GoGayleGo

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Let us know how it goes.

Success! I have successfully moved my SMS, MMS, phone log, and photos over using MyBackup Pro. What I don't seem to be able to do (or haven't figured out) is move app-specific data (e.g. my notes in ColorNote). Do you have suggestions on how to do that?

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Success! I have successfully moved my SMS, MMS, phone log, and photos over using MyBackup Pro. What I don't seem to be able to do (or haven't figured out) is move app-specific data (e.g. my notes in ColorNote). Do you have suggestions on how to do that?

For that, since you are not rooted, the only solution I know of is an app called Helium. I have moved app data between phones successfully (both phones are not rooted).

For future reference, Helium can also backup / restore SMS messages (not sure about MMS and call logs).

GoGayleGo

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
For that, since you are not rooted, the only solution I know of is an app called Helium. I have moved app data between phones successfully (both phones are not rooted).

For future reference, Helium can also backup / restore SMS messages (not sure about MMS and call logs).

Working on trying to transfer using Helium (not getting much help from the app developer). I have successfully backed up apps on old GNex, and transferred data to PC. I'm stuck trying to move the file from the PC to the Nexus 5 - Helium wants me to connect as a PTP device. My computer recognized the Nexus 5, but won't transfer the data - gives me this error:

HeliumError.JPG

If I try to connect as an MTP device, my computer doesn't even recognize the phone. I've been trying to work on that, and posted in a separate thread since I'm trying to also copy my MP3 files onto the phone and am unsuccessful for the same reason. I get this error when trying to change the driver:

MTP error.JPG

I have tried to follow directions to manually download/install the correct USB driver, but I'm clearly not doing that properly either. Any thoughts?

Thanks again, sorry for being a pain.
Gayle

GoGayleGo

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
OK. I somehow got the driver installed and got the backup file transferred from PC to phone (also got music transferred from PC to phone). When I run Helium and try to restore from backup, now getting error: "No backups were found on your Internal Storage. Maybe you should make some."

Anyone know how to deal with this?

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
OK. I somehow got the driver installed and got the backup file transferred from PC to phone (also got music transferred from PC to phone). When I run Helium and try to restore from backup, now getting error: "No backups were found on your Internal Storage. Maybe you should make some."

Anyone know how to deal with this?

How did you make the back up? On your old phone, did you start Helium and select PC Download from the overflow menu? If you do that, use your PC to go to the website displayed on your phone. That will download the backup to your computer. Then do the same to restore on the new phone.

GoGayleGo

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
How did you make the back up? On your old phone, did you start Helium and select PC Download from the overflow menu? If you do that, use your PC to go to the website displayed on your phone. That will download the backup to your computer. Then do the same to restore on the new phone.

No, that's not what I did at all. Per a YouTube video I watched, I backed up to the device, then copied that folder to my PC, then copied that folder to the new phone. I'll try doing what you've suggested, thanks again! I'm making progress, albeit not as quickly as I'd hoped.

GoGayleGo

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
No, that's not what I did at all. Per a YouTube video I watched, I backed up to the device, then copied that folder to my PC, then copied that folder to the new phone. I'll try doing what you've suggested, thanks again! I'm making progress, albeit not as quickly as I'd hoped.

I was unable to get to this prior to leaving for a business trip, so I'll give it a try next weekend - will keep you posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty