Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nandroid

Why is Google being such a Nanny on Nexus 5? Examples (in descending order of PITA-ness)

1. Worst nag of all: having to deal with a pop-up screen before being able to turn up volume, when speakers are plugged in :-(
    2. When shutting down phone: 1. Press and hold on/off button. 2. in popup window click "Shut Down Phone" 3. In ANOTHER popup window click "Yes of course I do want to fricking shut down this phone, I already told you that" or a command to that effect.
    3. When turning on GPS having to give location consent EVERY TIME. Surely once we have given consent in our profile, isn't that enough to satisfy the overly-litigation-sensitive legal nannies?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nandroid-nannynag.jpg  
    Last edited by dv8info; 05-15-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Default Re: Nandroid

Are you thinking about switching to another manufacturer's device then?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Worth considering because of (1). I expect (2) and (3) would still be a problem though because of Android.

Quote Originally Posted by dv8info View Post
    Why is Google being such a Nanny on Nexus 5? Examples (in descending order of PITA-ness)

1. Worst nag of all: having to deal with a pop-up screen before being able to turn up volume, when speakers are plugged in :-(
    2. When shutting down phone: 1. Press and hold on/off button. 2. in popup window click "Shut Down Phone" 3. In ANOTHER popup window click "Yes of course I do want to fricking shut down this phone, I already told you that" or a command to that effect.
    3. When turning on GPS having to give location consent EVERY TIME. Surely once we have given consent in our profile, isn't that enough to satisfy the overly-litigation-sensitive legal nannies?

1. Doesn't happen to me.

2. Takes like 2 seconds tops.

3. See #2.

Don't like it, use an iphone then. You have serious issues if these things bother you that much.

All the things you consider a "PITA" are really not a big deal at all.
    Thanked by:
    gidgiddonihah likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Mr Briggs, I don't think that just wanting things to work better is "having serious issues". And I don't think you need to turn this into a personal attack.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Maybe not a big deal, but I do find them to have *some degree* of "PITA-ness" (1) means sometimes wondering why the volume is not working while my attention is focused elsewhere. (2) means noticing some time later after I thought I turned the phone off that there is a dialog still waiting for a response from me. (3) means apps cannot automatically turn on gps for me even if I choose for that to be the case. All of these could be fixed, so I don't know what is wrong with me pointing this out.Why should we not be looking to improve things?

Maybe not a big deal, but I do find them to have *some degree* of "PITA-ness" (1) means sometimes wondering why the volume is not working while my attention is focused elsewhere. (2) means noticing some time later after I thought I turned the phone off that there is a dialog still waiting for a response from me. (3) means apps cannot automatically turn on gps for me even if I choose for that to be the case. All of these could be fixed, so I don't know what is wrong with me pointing this out.Why should we not be looking to improve things?
    I never said that things can't improve. I guess my initial reaction was misunderstood. It just seemed the OP came out guns blazing and P'eed off over relatively minor things.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

OK, understood. And yes I am a bit P'ed off about issue #1, because it also has been bugging me (and many others on various forums which Google developers seem to continually ignore) and on the Nexus 7 as well, and this has been since v 4.1. So it is because it is still there, and is a nagging annoyance which only increases as time passes because it has been neither addressed nor explained satisfactorily by Android, that I am a bit P'ed off at this point.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

And the original post is not a rhetorical question. Why do we *need* these nanny popups? Surely we only need to be told once. And our profile can store that we have read and understood. A simple checkbox saying "don't show me this again" is all that is required in each case, surely (?)

And the original post is not a rhetorical question. Why do we *need* these nanny popups? Surely we only need to be told once. And our profile can store that we have read and understood. A simple checkbox saying "don't show me this again" is all that is required in each case, surely (?)
    Other than number 2 (which I don't find anything wrong with the way Google does it), I haven't encountered these issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Other than number 2 (which I don't find anything wrong with the way Google does it), I haven't encountered these issues.
    I don't understand how it behaves so differently on the same hardware and the same version (presumably) of Android

Quote Originally Posted by gidgiddonihah View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I've only encountered #2 as well...

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Maybe because you have a rooted phone (?)

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80

I don't have any of these issues. Is your phone rooted? 1 hasn't happened to me since ICS. 2 is odd. I only get the 1pop up box with turn off phone, airplane mode, and silent, vibrate options. 3. Just consent to high accuracy, and you never get those.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

No, bog standard Nexus 5, Android 4.4.2. Now I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness. How can this just be happening on my phone only? Well now I understand while everybody thinks I'm making too much of a deal over this - nobody else is experiencing it. Weird. Has the NSA installed some spyware on my phone... Spy Van 37?

No, bog standard Nexus 5, Android 4.4.2. Now I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness. How can this just be happening on my phone only? Well now I understand while everybody thinks I'm making too much of a deal over this - nobody else is experiencing it. Weird. Has the NSA installed some spyware on my phone... Spy Van 37?
    Shhhh that's where the "free candy" is ;-) idk where your getting all those pop ups. I remember that happening once, but each instance was on a different device. None of those were on my N5 though.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Go use a iPhone and get even more annoyed when you open apps and they pop up bugging you to rate them. So far on Android I have only seen a few apps that I deleted do that.
    Asus Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 4.4.4 on WiFi. ART Runtime.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 5.0 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.

For #1, there's an option in the settings to disable the pop-up.

For the 2 and 3 you'll just have to adjust your habits

Posted via Android Central App
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

---
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Thanks tonyr6, but that is not really the issue here
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by TomW093 View Post
    For #1, there's an option in the settings to disable the pop-up.
    I have never found that, can you be more specific? Where exactly in Settings?

I've never seen #1, so I'm assuming it's something you had to turn on.

#2 is more annoying mostly because there's no reboot option. Given there's some level of stupid protection on a consumer electronic that could potentially be activated in a pocket, I'm fine with it.

#3 is mildly annoying, but since I run mine in power save mode most of the time, it's never a huge issue for me, and if I need it, I can always swap it on with Power Strip.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint
    Thanked by:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Thanks Bront. #1 I didn't turn it on and it can't be turned off. I wish it could. #2 On my phone there's no way it could be accidentally activated, it has a gel cover and it's hard enough just holding down the key to turn it off when I want to. #3 That's how I use it. Power strip is good, but it needs consent every time. The way I see it , surely if we give confirmation once that's enough, then the switch could just turn it on and off as needed. The only way I could do that is by rooting the phone, which I don't want to do.

The reboot option is to hold the power button down for 10 seconds. There is no need for that option on the popup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    I've never seen #1, so I'm assuming it's something you had to turn on.

#2 is more annoying mostly because there's no reboot option. Given there's some level of stupid protection on a consumer electronic that could potentially be activated in a pocket, I'm fine with it.

#3 is mildly annoying, but since I run mine in power save mode most of the time, it's never a huge issue for me, and if I need it, I can always swap it on with Power Strip.
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast