Lock screen

guyslichten

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

How can i control the amount of time the screen is turned on for in lock screen after receiving a sms? it turns on for about five seconds and i would like to make it longer.

thanks for all the help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5's screen doesn't turn on when I get a text--only the LED. Are you using a messaging app different from Hangouts? Or do you have some other 3rd party app that turns on the screen when a text arrives, like DynamicNotifications?

guyslichten

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

thanks for your answer.I dont use hangouts i use go sms pro. Wouldnt you want your phone to turn on in order to see the message without having to press the side button? Its funny because i had an iphone up till now and there were certain features on it that i thought everyone would want(like turning on your screen when a notification arrives)... Guess my way thinking was wrong.

thanks again

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I prefer it not to light up. Since the screen is the biggest battery consumer on a phone, I'd rather it stay off unless I turn it on. For someone who receives lots of texts per day, that could potentially contribute to increased screen-on time that you may not even be aware of (like, for example, if your phone is just lying on a table while you're off doing something else).

But there are plenty of apps that can modify this behavior, which I've always found is one of the nice things about Android.

Check the settings for Go SMS Pro, and see if there are any options to prolong the display on time, if you haven't already.