Latest Calendar Update Killed Alarms on Nexus 5

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
EDIT2: And, now, it DOESN'T work. It just blew past my 3:00 event. I guess I'll uninstall it and go back to the previous version.

EDIT1: And, now, it works. Never mind.

Early this morning, I saw there was an update in the Play Store for Calendar (v 5.0-1579230) and applied it. Since then, none of my alarms have shown up on the phone (no alert sound, no visual notification). I even set up a new test event and nothing happened. Looking at the Calendar on the phone, all my events are there with their proper alarm settings. Just nothing happens on the phone when they're due.

Last edited:

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
My latest hypothesis is that the latest Calendar app on the Nexus 5 doesn't like notifications from the old Calendar website. As noted in one of my other replies, I uninstalled the new version and reverted back to the old. My scheduled event notifications worked fine with that. Once again, I updated to the new version and it appeared to work with my new test events. But, this morning it blew right by my old, actual events. I tested various ways and sometimes the notification happened and sometimes it didn't. So, I edited some upcoming events to send out the notifications at the time of the event (they were already set to send notifications at that time) and saved them. My edited 8 o'clock event gave me a notification. Theoretically, that's semi-good news. I'll keep watching to see if future edited events work.

BTW: On Kit-Kat, I'm not very pleased with the notification method. It used to pop-up a box showing me my notifications. This was good because that box showed up on top of the clock I keep full-screen on my phone. With the new version, I don't get that box. All I get is the audio alert. I have to close the clock and swipe down to see the actual notification now. I'm assuming that will change with Lollipop.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, I manually updated this Nexus 5 to the stock version of Lollipop (version 5.0) on Google's site. The latest Calendar app STILL doesn't give me alarms/notifications. The one it just ignored was another of my old ones from the Calendar web page. I edited it as noted above, saved it, and a few seconds later got the notification. We'll see if the ones I edited yesterday show up.

I can't believe I'm the only one in the whole world seeing this.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
So far, the scheduled events that I've edited on the phone to "remind" it of when to set of a notification have been going off. Unfortunately, that's a sample size of two. So, it's not all that indicative. I've got a bunch or edited events due tomorrow. We'll see.

EDIT: it's the next day and all my edited events properly gave me alerts on my phone. So, that appears to be the work-around.

Last edited:

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
David,

From experimenting today, I'd say that when a repeating event goes off there is no event notification, not even to other calendar apps (like aCalendar). aCalendar and Google Calendar seem to both see a "single" non-repeating event, but Goggle Calendar won't vibrate even when told to do so in that case.

I was playing with Google Calendar, aCalendar, and Business Calendar, and I think that's what I saw.

Have you figured anything more out?

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Since I edited all (hopefully) of my scheduled events on my phone, I've gotten my notifications fine. But, since the vast majority of my events are repeating, what you're seeing could be what I was seeing (but I didn't know it). Also, I believe (but don't absolutely know) I created most of those events in the web-based Google Calendar. So, it's possible the problem is an incompatibility in the formats for notification times from web to phone. Also, IIRC, even while I was not getting my notifications on my phone, I got them in my Chrome browser on my PC if I was signed into either GMail or Calendar there.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It looks like this might be related to the new Calendar apps problem with displaying notifications only while the event is in its duration period. I noticed that my events now had no end time set (even though they had a 0 duration when I created them). I edited a few on the Calendar web page to have a 0 duration. I then got no notifications for those events. I edited them again on the phone to reset the notification type/time and started getting notifications again. But (and?), on the Calendar web page, the end time was again un-set. So, my guess is that (at least partially) the new app only keeps the notifications up during the duration period and with a 0 duration it doesn't even bother displaying it at all. With an undefined duration, it at leasts fires it and keeps it visible for some (unknown) period of time.

Here are my posts on the Google Products forum:

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/calendar/Y9JOfzpu8Zo/cunrpAYm3lAJ

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/calendar/Hlap6pgXw8U/eXO2goLpOKcJ