Getting calendar notifications and don't want them

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Picked up SGW5, 44mm yesterday. Have got the hang of most of it pretty well. However, today while I was driving, my watch kept lighting up, informing me of upcoming soccer games that were about to start!

I haven't used Samsung's calendar, ever. On my PC, I use Google Calendar and on my Samsung phone, I use a product called Business Calendar Pro, which I've used for nearly a decade. I get NO notifications of upcoming events on either, unless I have created an event and told it that I want one. I also subscribe to multiple calendars in my Google account, an example being English Premier League Matches. Again, none of these notify me on PC nor phone. As a matter of fact, I only turn these on for viewing when I want to see who's playing on a given day, but then uncheck that calendar box to clear up the visual clutter.

Unfortunately, my watch has deemed that these events need to be notifying me and I can't figure out how to stop that. Truly, I'd like to just remove the Samsung Calendar, but I can't seem to find it to remove it. At the very least, I'd like to turn off the notifications from this app. Can anyone point me in the correct direction for either of these tasks?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Picked up SGW5, 44mm yesterday. Have got the hang of most of it pretty well. However, today while I was driving, my watch kept lighting up, informing me of upcoming soccer games that were about to start!

I haven't used Samsung's calendar, ever. On my PC, I use Google Calendar and on my Samsung phone, I use a product called Business Calendar Pro, which I've used for nearly a decade. I get NO notifications of upcoming events on either, unless I have created an event and told it that I want one. I also subscribe to multiple calendars in my Google account, an example being English Premier League Matches. Again, none of these notify me on PC nor phone. As a matter of fact, I only turn these on for viewing when I want to see who's playing on a given day, but then uncheck that calendar box to clear up the visual clutter.

Unfortunately, my watch has deemed that these events need to be notifying me and I can't figure out how to stop that. Truly, I'd like to just remove the Samsung Calendar, but I can't seem to find it to remove it. At the very least, I'd like to turn off the notifications from this app. Can anyone point me in the correct direction for either of these tasks?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

Not sure if this will fix your issue, but for system apps, you can disable notifications as well. It just takes a couple extra steps. You'll go into settings > notifications > more > then tap the bar at the top for drop down menu and select all. You should be able to find the Samsung calendar app.

Attachments

• 3584.jpg
    3584.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 55

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this will fix your issue, but for system apps, you can disable notifications as well. It just takes a couple extra steps. You'll go into settings > notifications > more > then tap the bar at the top for drop down menu and select all. You should be able to find the Samsung calendar app.

Wow, that was very nice of you to include the screenshots! Thanks for taking the extra time.

Here's the weird thing. I went to exactly where you are and mine does not show that it is installed for both. When I clicked on it, i saw that notifications had already been disabled. I believe I did that when I first got a Galaxy back around the S6 era. Thinking that maybe I needed to toggle it on then off, I turned it on. Now, it is on but greyed out and won't let me turn it back off!!!

It's never easy, is it? :-!

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Wow, that was very nice of you to include the screenshots! Thanks for taking the extra time.

Here's the weird thing. I went to exactly where you are and mine does not show that it is installed for both. When I clicked on it, i saw that notifications had already been disabled. I believe I did that when I first got a Galaxy back around the S6 era. Thinking that maybe I needed to toggle it on then off, I turned it on. Now, it is on but greyed out and won't let me turn it back off!!!

It's never easy, is it? :-!

Maybe you can enable the calendar app on your phone and see if you can then disable notifications in the Wearable app? You could still keep whatever app you prefer as default.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you can enable the calendar app on your phone and see if you can then disable notifications in the Wearable app? You could still keep whatever app you prefer as default.

So, I went to the permissions for the wearable app and found each piece has separate permissions, including calendar. I turned that off and hopefully that will do the trick! Great ideas. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-201309_Permission controller.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-201309_Permission controller.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 13

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
So, I went to the permissions for the wearable app and found each piece has separate permissions, including calendar. I turned that off and hopefully that will do the trick! Great ideas. Thank you!

Awesome, let us know and good luck!

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, let us know and good luck!

Well, THAT didn't work! Got another one just a few moments ago. When I looked at my Google Calendar on my PC, I saw no notification, but when I checked the event itself, it showed a reminder for 24 hours prior and another for 15 minutes prior. (There was also no pop-up notification on my Samsung phone.) This schedule came directly from the PL website, and it's not that every game has a notification attached. Just random games, here and there have notifications. It's not the end of the world but I hate not being able to figure something out. I have nothing in my Samsung Calendar and that's the only calendar on the watch, yet somehow it grabs the event from my Google Calendar and notifies me.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Well, THAT didn't work! Got another one just a few moments ago. When I looked at my Google Calendar on my PC, I saw no notification, but when I checked the event itself, it showed a reminder for 24 hours prior and another for 15 minutes prior. (There was also no pop-up notification on my Samsung phone.) This schedule came directly from the PL website, and it's not that every game has a notification attached. Just random games, here and there have notifications. It's not the end of the world but I hate not being able to figure something out. I have nothing in my Samsung Calendar and that's the only calendar on the watch, yet somehow it grabs the event from my Google Calendar and notifies me.

That's odd. I'd present this over on XDA. Lots of devs hang out there and may help solve this.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. I'd present this over on XDA. Lots of devs hang out there and may help solve this.

And that thumbnail that I posted up in post #6 above? It was reset to "Allow"! It obviously didn't like me doing that! I'll check that other forum out. Thanks.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I happened upon an article last night that was written by Joe Fedewa. He showed how to basically disable every piece of Samsung Calendar on your phone (since you can't actually uninstall it). I did all of those steps and today, got zero notifications! I think he solved it! Thanks, again!!!