Nexus 5 turns on and inbetween boot up and home screen, shuts off at random times

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
The phone appears to turn on normally and at cold boot it manages to go to the home screen. I can be there for a few seconds, then it'll randomly decide to shut off. I'm not sure but the temperature seems high closest to the CPU and screen feels hot to the touch when trying to keep it on. Should I plug in a brand new oem battery? I have a knock off battery and it worked fine on my other phone except the capacity was much lower. I thought it might be temperature related so I tried making an aluminium heat sink and thermal paste for the cpu, but nothing changed. I will link to video in a bit. Also the only way the phone responds after is by plugging in the phone cable to any power source as if the battery was taken out. Don't judge the vertical framing it just happened. I tried to replicate it again all normal like and the phone stops at the 4 color dots and the phone shuts down as if the battery was removed. It doesn't respond until plugged into usb power. HALP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FMvVge9pPs

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Was that a fresh install of Slim? I would try to flash a stock ROM with Fastboot and see if that helps.

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Was that a fresh install of Slim? I would try to flash a stock ROM with Fastboot and see if that helps.

did that as well. same issue. I opened up to the phone and checked the motherboard and it looks fine. expect for a very small elevated line/crack on the radio chip. I don't know if that'll affect the device from booting up. The ram and cpu look fine. The cpu is heating up quite a bit, but I don't think that is making the phone shutdown.

*did a fresh install for rom 5.0 and phones stuck on the google logo, what could this be?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
did that as well. same issue. I opened up to the phone and checked the motherboard and it looks fine. expect for a very small elevated line/crack on the radio chip. I don't know if that'll affect the device from booting up. The ram and cpu look fine. The cpu is heating up quite a bit, but I don't think that is making the phone shutdown.

*did a fresh install for rom 5.0 and phones stuck on the google logo, what could this be?

To my knowledge, it shouldn't. You did revert back to stock....ROM recovery, bootloader, etc?

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
To my knowledge, it shouldn't. You did revert back to stock....ROM recovery, bootloader, etc?

I mean I did flash stock from nexus root toolkit. I assume that brought everything back to stock. I did stock 4.4.0 and it goes to the home screen and I check the phone for about 5-10 seconds before it shutdown as if the battery has been taken out

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I mean I did flash stock from nexus root toolkit. I assume that brought everything back to stock. I did stock 4.4.0 and it goes to the home screen and I check the phone for about 5-10 seconds before it shutdown as if the battery has been taken out
While the tool kits are nice, and probably didn't miss anything, o would still consider flashing manually, through the bootloader.

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Just an update, about 2 weeks I left this phone untouched. Turned it on and it was able to stay on for about 5 minutes and was fully working. Then I was still tinkering a bit and after second boot when it was still fine for about 5 minutes, it turned off. What could this be? Why did it decide to stay on for such a long time after being off for about 2-3 weeks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty