How many have returned/are thinking of returning?

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I called twice and was turned down both times. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Argue with them that the purchase wasn't complete until money was exchanged. I told them that technically the transaction didn't take place till they charged my credit card, which was after the 10th.

dhotiram

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Best phone I have ever owned, hands down. Mine ain't going anywhere. I'm keeping it despite my t-mobile JUMP plan unless the next version comes by.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Got mine last night and I like it so far... just have to get used to the size bump (coming from 2013 MotoX).
But there are few things I don't like:
- The back cover has atrocious gap tolerance. Not sure if it's this way so you can open it for repairs or something but it surely could have been made better. I highly doubt it's just my phone... It's from a mold of the manufacturing floor.
- Not a single app is optimized for this screen size. Hopefully this will be fixed with time (and I assume this is why Google released this size -> to push developers to support this resolution). This phone should be running in a "tablet" mode. By the way, is there a system setting for that?

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
- The back cover has atrocious gap tolerance.

Second time I've seen this written and I'll ask you the same thing... What gap tolerance on the back cover? I just now again pulled my case off and the back cover is perfectly flush with the metal ring around the phone.... There is no gap what so ever... or I mean you could probably get a razor blade edge in there if you really wanted to but I can barely feel where the gap is with my finger nail.... The only other time I saw this someone said "Gapgate" and I pulled the case off my phone and looked at the phone as closely as possible front and back looking for what would be considered "Gapgate" and I can't find a thing...

Now that you specifically say back cover I am going to assume this is what the other person was speaking of (Who never replied to me asking)

I've been super amazed at how solid and well built my Nexus 6 seems to be....

Not sure about app optimization for the screen size.... all the apps I use look amazing.. I've just had a few issues with certain apps I used were not yet available for 5.0 yet.... Which a couple of them are pretty big companies.. Amazes me that like for example Capital One and Redbox are not yet available for 5.0 yet my Buffalo Wild Wings ordering app was.... I can't check my bank account or rent a movie from this thing but I sure can order hot wings on the go......

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Second time I've seen this written and I'll ask you the same thing... What gap tolerance on the back cover? I just now again pulled my case off and the back cover is perfectly flush with the metal ring around the phone.... There is no gap what so ever... or I mean you could probably get a razor blade edge in there if you really wanted to but I can barely feel where the gap is with my finger nail.... The only other time I saw this someone said "Gapgate" and I pulled the case off my phone and looked at the phone as closely as possible front and back looking for what would be considered "Gapgate" and I can't find a thing...

Now that you specifically say back cover I am going to assume this is what the other person was speaking of (Who never replied to me asking)

I've been super amazed at how solid and well built my Nexus 6 seems to be....

Not sure about app optimization for the screen size.... all the apps I use look amazing.. I've just had a few issues with certain apps I used were not yet available for 5.0 yet.... Which a couple of them are pretty big companies.. Amazes me that like for example Capital One and Redbox are not yet available for 5.0 yet my Buffalo Wild Wings ordering app was.... I can't check my bank account or rent a movie from this thing but I sure can order hot wings on the go......

The plastic is flush with the metal but I see the gap between plastic and the metal trim at the top. My nail doesn't fit all the way down but certainly fits at the beginning. With today's manufacturing technologies this is kinda unacceptable. Even 2013 MotoX has tighter tolerances in that sense.

How can you not see the app optimization issue? Have you even compared Nexus 6 to a smaller phone? I'm looking at N6 right now next to MotoX 4.7" screen.... Gmail app is showing the exact same content and same number of messages on both phones. Sorry but this is NOT optimization for 4K 6" screen. Nexus 7 with a smaller screen size difference is showing 3 more emails and has a different side view.

Let's look at Google Newsstand app now. I opened up the same article on both phones and only see TWO extra lines of text on N6. Really? We are talking 1.3" difference! A different article shows 4 extra lines so I guess Google just got lucky is scaled a little better.

Now Google Music. Again, I see the same content when I go to the Artists tab. MotoX 4.7" only cuts a little more of the bottom row but I can still see it perfectly. Nexus 7 really shines here and takes full advantage of the resolution.

I can go on and on but simply don't want to waste time typing... I think I proved my point.

Sorry, the entire ecosystem is NOT optimized and I hope this is just temporarily. I didn't buy N6 because I have a bad eye sight. I am not returning it and will definitely give Google a chance to improve but if it looks the same by Q3 of next year, I will be looking to get something else.

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The plastic is flush with the metal but I see the gap between plastic and the metal trim at the top. My nail doesn't fit all the way down but certainly fits at the beginning. With today's manufacturing technologies this is kinda unacceptable. Even 2013 MotoX has tighter tolerances in that sense.

How can you not see the app optimization issue? Have you even compared Nexus 6 to a smaller phone? I'm looking at N6 right now next to MotoX 4.7" screen.... Gmail app is showing the exact same content and same number of messages on both phones. Sorry but this is NOT optimization for 4K 6" screen. Nexus 7 with a smaller screen size difference is showing 3 more emails and has a different side view.

Let's look at Google Newsstand app now. I opened up the same article on both phones and only see TWO extra lines of text on N6. Really? We are talking 1.3" difference! A different article shows 4 extra lines so I guess Google just got lucky is scaled a little better.

Now Google Music. Again, I see the same content when I go to the Artists tab. MotoX 4.7" only cuts a little more of the bottom row but I can still see it perfectly. Nexus 7 really shines here and takes full advantage of the resolution.

I can go on and on but simply don't want to waste time typing... I think I proved my point.

Sorry, the entire ecosystem is NOT optimized and I hope this is just temporarily. I didn't buy N6 because I have a bad eye sight. I am not returning it and will definitely give Google a chance to improve but if it looks the same by Q3 of next year, I will be looking to get something else.

I am looking at my phone right now without the case on and the "Gap" is the same all the way around.. I could maybe get a razor blade edge in there and wiggle it down inside if I were so inclined but at least on my device it's about as perfectly put together as one would expect... I agree in 2014 you'd think the MFG process should be down to such a perfect science that you don't have quality issues.. I do think Motorola is rushing to get devices out... and from your comments and the other one I read a few didn't stamp out right... but from all the reading on forums and reviews it does seem to be a very small # of devices.. or at least a very small vocal group... I'd guess if 10% are as bad as you say yours is only 2% notice and are vocal about it.... I'll say I am glad now that I have read this and critiqued mine it's not an issue.. Mine looks perfect...

As for the optimization... WOW... really??? Personally I can only read one line at a time so having an extra two lines or so doesn't matter.. I am in the Gmail app right now and it displays 6 emails on a single screen... I can only go one at a time anyway and scrolling dfown to 7, 8, 9 etc takes a fraction of a second.... (and I have 20/20 vision so it's not an eyesight thing) I remember right before I sold my Nexus 5 comparing them side by side in Gmail, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Google+ and just thinking man it's so much nicer having everything BIGGER.. I didn't really compare how many lines or emails where squeezed onto the screen... The optimization you speak of would make me unhappy... I'd rather keep the same amount of information on the screen but in a slightly larger format... Again I can only read one line at a time and only check what one email is at a time with scrolling taking fractions of a second to do...

I've found over 3 weeks with my Nexus 6 I can easily do everything I use to do one handed with my 5 with the 6.... It's exactly what I expected and what I wanted... a blown up 2014 Moto X..... minus a few Moto exclusive gimmicky software options that would be neat to have but not needed....

Seems like the idea of what optimization to screen size is another subjective feature..... I'm perfectly happy with how things are displayed on the Nexus 6 screen.... I like that it's apparently the same amount of information just "Blown up" and larger.....

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got it yesterday and set it up. My hand was actually tired after setting it up. It is just a bit too wide to be comfortable like my OPO and 6+.

Waiting on my orzly screen protector to use outside of the house. I have till January 9 to return so well see. I cannot help but think they made it a tad too wide to get to 6 inches diagonally.

Not as fast and smooth as my OPO so we will see if it is a worthy upgrade.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

Last edited:

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at my phone right now without the case on and the "Gap" is the same all the way around.. I could maybe get a razor blade edge in there and wiggle it down inside if I were so inclined but at least on my device it's about as perfectly put together as one would expect... I agree in 2014 you'd think the MFG process should be down to such a perfect science that you don't have quality issues.. I do think Motorola is rushing to get devices out... and from your comments and the other one I read a few didn't stamp out right... but from all the reading on forums and reviews it does seem to be a very small # of devices.. or at least a very small vocal group... I'd guess if 10% are as bad as you say yours is only 2% notice and are vocal about it.... I'll say I am glad now that I have read this and critiqued mine it's not an issue.. Mine looks perfect...

As for the optimization... WOW... really??? Personally I can only read one line at a time so having an extra two lines or so doesn't matter.. I am in the Gmail app right now and it displays 6 emails on a single screen... I can only go one at a time anyway and scrolling dfown to 7, 8, 9 etc takes a fraction of a second.... (and I have 20/20 vision so it's not an eyesight thing) I remember right before I sold my Nexus 5 comparing them side by side in Gmail, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Google+ and just thinking man it's so much nicer having everything BIGGER.. I didn't really compare how many lines or emails where squeezed onto the screen... The optimization you speak of would make me unhappy... I'd rather keep the same amount of information on the screen but in a slightly larger format... Again I can only read one line at a time and only check what one email is at a time with scrolling taking fractions of a second to do...

I've found over 3 weeks with my Nexus 6 I can easily do everything I use to do one handed with my 5 with the 6.... It's exactly what I expected and what I wanted... a blown up 2014 Moto X..... minus a few Moto exclusive gimmicky software options that would be neat to have but not needed....

Seems like the idea of what optimization to screen size is another subjective feature..... I'm perfectly happy with how things are displayed on the Nexus 6 screen.... I like that it's apparently the same amount of information just "Blown up" and larger.....

I really fail to understand your reasoning. Your vision is 20/20 but yet you want everything you see perfectly fine on a smaller screen be magnified on a much bigger screen. It's no different than running a low-res desktop setting on a high resolution, expensive monitor. Totally defeats the purpose. If your argument is one-line-at-a-time, then why not magnify it even more? LOL.
You obviously have the right to have your own opinion though so I am not gonna argue about this anymore.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I really fail to understand your reasoning. Your vision is 20/20 but yet you want everything you see perfectly fine on a smaller screen be magnified on a much bigger screen. It's no different than running a low-res desktop setting on a high resolution, expensive monitor. Totally defeats the purpose. If your argument is one-line-at-a-time, then why not magnify it even more? LOL.
You obviously have the right to have your own opinion though so I am not gonna argue about this anymore.

My favorite! Counter point and get your two cents in and then say I have a right to my opinion and you don't want to argue..

Your acting like on a 5 inch screen we only had two lines of text and it's the same.. instead we have say twenty lines on both and one is slightly larger... I highly doubt they will optimize anything to squeeze more small text or go from 6 emails to 8 or 9... they "optimized" the home screen to fit more icons/apps....

If anything they should have settings in each app so you can have it your way and I can have it mine....

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Call me crazy. But I picked up the note 4. And then also the Nexus 6. I originally decided the Note 4 just offered more. So returned the Nexus. Now a few weeks later, I've picked up another Nexus 6. I also use a 6+ and I realized what I enjoy most about the iOS experience is the fluidity of the entire OS. The Note 4, while an amazing device, just doesn't have that. Yes its super powerful, has the very useful (for some) S Pen, excellent battery life, screen and camera. But with Lollipop, android has finally got that same fluidity found on iOS and is arguably better looking. I'll "suffer" with the lesser camera and slightly worse battery life and screen to experience 5.0.

Its all about weighing what it is you actually value in a device. Some people find the S Pen invaluable. While I enjoyed it, I just found I crave that overall experience that 5.0 offers on a nexus device.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Have similar feelings about the Note 4 vs Nexus 6. Both excellent devices. But after using those two and a 6+ side by side for some time, the Note 4 just doesn't provide the same fluidity throughout the experience that both a 5.0 Nexus 6 and iOS can. I really do think el goog made a giant leap with 5.0. Even if a lot is only skin deep - it just provides such a pleasurable experience.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My favorite! Counter point and get your two cents in and then say I have a right to my opinion and you don't want to argue..

Your acting like on a 5 inch screen we only had two lines of text and it's the same.. instead we have say twenty lines on both and one is slightly larger... I highly doubt they will optimize anything to squeeze more small text or go from 6 emails to 8 or 9... they "optimized" the home screen to fit more icons/apps....

If anything they should have settings in each app so you can have it your way and I can have it mine....
He's talking more about the resolution increase. For instance, if you switch monitors on your desktop from a 19" 1440x900 monitor to a 23" 1680x1050, you get more than just increased viewing size. The higher resolution will allow you to see more content on the screen at a time.

Now, I'm not sure we've ever seen that with phones. I believe you see the same content when comparing a 720p to a 1080p to a 1440p phone. Say a Galaxy Alpha to an S5 to a Note. Right?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
He's talking more about the resolution increase. For instance, if you switch monitors on your desktop from a 19" 1440x900 monitor to a 23" 1680x1050, you get more than just increased viewing size. The higher resolution will allow you to see more content on the screen at a time.

Now, I'm not sure we've ever seen that with phones. I believe you see the same content when comparing a 720p to a 1080p to a 1440p phone. Say a Galaxy Alpha to an S5 to a Note. Right?

Exactly. I also have in my family 2014 MotoX PE and it also shows the same number of emails in Gmail. The thing is, it's not very noticeable and looks as if it's the way it's supposed to be... probably because the difference between:

4.7" 720 2013 MotoX and 5.2" 1080 2014 MotoX

is not as big as

4.7" 720 2013 MotoX and 6" 2560 Nexus 6

So I think it's time to allow users to run in tablet mode... that's the least they can do

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I understand resolution & screen sizes! We are discussing a 5.96 inch screen on a phone.. completely different than 19 or 23 inch computer monitors.. I'm not going to split screen and multitask on my phone... I asked because I thought something was off... everything looks beautiful in my humble opinion... I don't need things optimized smaller to squeeze a few extra lines in on my phone... I feel the phone is "optimized" just fine...

I agree there should at least be an option to optimize it your way...

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree there should at least be an option to optimize it your way...
When you dig into the issue a little, it's the old "it ain't as good, OR as bad" as it first might appear. Some Apps accommodate, others don't. Some people think larger text/same content is an advantage, others would rather go the other direction.

The advantage of the larger screen/same info is that text is clearer even though it's larger. What is there is very crisp @ the PPI, and the larger text is easier to read. I often had to zoom in on non-optimized web pages on my Maxx HD @ 5.2". Not nearly so often on the N6. And when I do have to zoom, I can get the text large enough to read without falling outside the screen

Meanwhile, to your point about personal options, I use Apex launcher. It's set at 7 x 6 icons on the home page, and their size is adjustable. With the 6" display, I've got it set up identically to my N7. Except for needing the dialer and contacts, I don't have to think what app is on what screen in what folder anymore.

OTOH, I can see the point about optimizing gmail etc, but at least for me, I don't have a problem with scrolling to get to 7, 8 & 9.....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When you dig into the issue a little, it's the old "it ain't as good, OR as bad" as it first might appear. Some Apps accommodate, others don't. Some people think larger text/same content is an advantage, others would rather go the other direction.

The advantage of the larger screen/same info is that text is clearer even though it's larger. What is there is very crisp @ the PPI, and the larger text is easier to read. I often had to zoom in on non-optimized web pages on my Maxx HD @ 5.2". Not nearly so often on the N6. And when I do have to zoom, I can get the text large enough to read without falling outside the screen

Meanwhile, to your point about personal options, I use Apex launcher. It's set at 7 x 6 icons on the home page, and their size is adjustable. With the 6" display, I've got it set up identically to my N7. Except for needing the dialer and contacts, I don't have to think what app is on what screen in what folder anymore.

OTOH, I can see the point about optimizing gmail etc, but at least for me, I don't have a problem with scrolling to get to 7, 8 & 9.....

Yeah exactly my feelings! I thought when I read nothing was optimized to this screen things were oblong or something like when you set your monitor resolution wrong and everything looks weird....

For me everything is about the same on my 6 compared to my 5 but bigger.... and just slightly.. it's not crazy stupid BIG.. IMO it's about perfect for this size screen.. I understand different strokes for different folks... but I don't think nothing is optimized is an accurate statement... Not optimized to my taste would probably be more accurate...

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm returning mine. Really really didn't think the size would be a problem, but it is for me. I think the G3 spoiled me in terms of ergonomics and form factor. The nexus 6 is is a little snappier and opens most apps about 1-2 seconds faster the the G3, but it doesn't bother me. I love the screen on the Nexus 6, though. Speakers on N6 are a little better. Camera is significantly better on the G3.

Other than the size of the N6, the other thing that bothered me was the call volume and clarity. G3 was better on calls for me. I know I'm weird, but I still make phone calls every day. 😁

I found myself preferring my old nexus 4 over the 6 as far as the software. The buttons and software elements just felt too far away. Also, with such minimal bottom bezel, the back, home and multi buttons were too close to the bottom, making me feel like I was going to drop the thing if I even tried to hit the home button one-handed. It felt even heavier than it actually is.

I'd be all over the 2nd Gen Moto X if it was available from Tmo directly over JUMP. Good luck to everyone with their N6s. It is a gorgeous device - just not for me.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My most heavily used apps adjust beautifully to the larger size. My Kindle app is now the same size as the 6 inch Kindle PaperWhite reader and the new page size and higher resolution is so much more comfortable. The difference is not subtle. I love it. My Interactive Brokers trading platform on 6 inches works so much better. My old Nexus 5 now feels like a tiny toy in comparison.

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm returning mine. Really really didn't think the size would be a problem, but it is for me. I think the G3 spoiled me in terms of ergonomics and form factor. The nexus 6 is is a little snappier and opens most apps about 1-2 seconds faster the the G3, but it doesn't bother me. I love the screen on the Nexus 6, though. Speakers on N6 are a little better. Camera is significantly better on the G3.

Other than the size of the N6, the other thing that bothered me was the call volume and clarity. G3 was better on calls for me. I know I'm weird, but I still make phone calls every day. ??????

I found myself preferring my old nexus 4 over the 6 as far as the software. The buttons and software elements just felt too far away. Also, with such minimal bottom bezel, the back, home and multi buttons were too close to the bottom, making me feel like I was going to drop the thing if I even tried to hit the home button one-handed. It felt even heavier than it actually is.

I'd be all over the 2nd Gen Moto X if it was available from Tmo directly over JUMP. Good luck to everyone with their N6s. It is a gorgeous device - just not for me.

The G3 and Nexus 6 are the same size....I put mine on top of it and see no real difference. To eachy his own god bless America. I played with the G3 and found it to be laggy at times that was all for me I prefer Samsung Note 4 over it....the G3 is very large aslo like the Nexus 6.....boils down to preference here IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38