How is the battery life on the Note 10+ and especially the 5G if you have it

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I was just wondering after 6+ months if owners can chime in on what kind of battery life you are getting whether SOT or experience if you are making it during the day with whatever % left. Anyone can tell me how more battery the 5G variant consumes over the regular Note +??

Haven't browsed this site much cause just been happy with the Note 8 but I am thinking of upgrading at end of year and I am considering my options. The Ultra has been IMO disappointing in that the camera seems wonky for $1400.

So now I am waiting on the Note 20 but in case they don't fix/change the camera system by then (they can't just drop in the current Ultra camera system without it sorted out or improved if they are going to charge at least $1400) or they have gone too bigger than the Ultra in dimensions. I'm also not excited about the rumor of them using a updated/new Exynos chip considering how current chip is performing on the Ultras and not sure if they intend to outsource their display for the Note 20 or wait until the S21 and see how the quality is so I won't be pre-ordering my phone at release like I did with my 8 until I hear some reviews.

So I'm thinking instead of going with an S20+, I can get the Note 10+ through my corp connection at work for $449... the same price I bought my Note 8 for 3 years ago. Or I can get a Note+ 5G for $799... cheaper than I can get a S20+... and I think the Note 10+ is just as good as those. A Note 10+ at $449 can tie me over for another year no problem while I see what they do with the S21 or Note 21... or honestly the iPhone 12 Pro and 13 Pro.

The Note 10+ I think has the same battery size of the S20+ so I wonder how far off the battery life is between the two. And wonder how the 5G variants compares to the S20+ also.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    90.4 KB · Views: 100

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's super nice. Much better than my 3300mah on my 8 LOL.

I was expecting maybe a hit on the 5G and I know 5G is probably is not really going to be really usable for another 12-24 months... but am weighing if I should or shouldn't.

I have the Exynos Note 10 plus 5G and consistently get 10 hours SoT

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
That's super nice. Much better than my 3300mah on my 8 LOL.

I was expecting maybe a hit on the 5G and I know 5G is probably is not really going to be really usable for another 12-24 months... but am weighing if I should or shouldn't.

I think screen refresh rate and having the latest bluetooth chipset that supports the latest BT HD codecs is more important than 5G at least for the next year or two.
The Note 10 plus lacks both of the former.

Battery life is no issue on my none 5G variant.
I constantly short charge from 40-75% and get at least 5 hours of run time, most of it surfing the web.
Charges up in about 20 minutes with the 25 watt brick; the 45 watt brick isn't needed.

If the specs meet your expectations and you can get a good deal on the 5G, go for it. Otherwise I would not.
You really have to keep a close eye on Samsung.
Expect no telephone tech support of any depth or value from them... you're on your own.
Not for the tech inept with a slow learning curve; results with be subpar for them. It's an intense little Android.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think screen refresh rate and having the latest bluetooth chipset that supports the latest BT HD codecs is more important than 5G at least for the next year or two.

I constantly short charge from 40-75% and get at least 5 hours of run time, most of it surfing the web.
Charges up in about 20 minutes with the 25 watt brick; the 45 watt brick isn't needed.

If the specs meet your expectations and you can get a good deal on the 5G, go for it. Otherwise I would not.
Expect no telephone tech support of any depth or value from them... you're on your own.
Not for the tech inept with a slow learning curve; results with be subpar for them. It's an intense little Android.
I have the 45 watt brick for the S20 Ultra and for that it works great. For the Note 10 it doesn't charge much faster than the stock charger.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Definitely 5G won't be a real + I think for year or two so I'm tempted to save a few bucks on it.. but you never know if I hang on to it a bit. At the price without it, the idea of Note 10+ is a one year stop gap while I see what happens for another year and I can sell it for close to my purchase price. I never really sold and upgrade phones like that but I may for this.

I don't game so, I'd love top specs and want 120hz but I can do another year if I got the Note.. I'd still pick it over the 20+ and again cheaper. I heard updates have improved even camera on Note so it's had time to work out bugs so I'm thinking the Note will be as solid as my Note 8 has been. I haven't really heard any issues on the Samsung pages so thats a positve.

BT I rock my daughters hand me down Beats and run with cheap Ankars so I am not that much of an audiophile that will notice. But I am eyeing the new Sony BT MX4 coming out very soon... maybe the Bose 700. I got my wife the previous QC last month for less that $200 on Amazon?!

I'm really hoping good things for the Note 20 and hope I like it... but if not I'm kinda getting jazzed over a Note 10+ 5 Gangsta not a bad fallback option.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Definitely 5G won't be a real + I think for year or two so I'm tempted to save a few bucks on it.. but you never know if I hang on to it a bit. At the price without it, the idea of Note 10+ is a one year stop gap while I see what happens for another year and I can sell it for close to my purchase price. I never really sold and upgrade phones like that but I may for this.

I don't game so, I'd love top specs and want 120hz but I can do another year if I got the Note.. I'd still pick it over the 20+ and again cheaper. I heard updates have improved even camera on Note so it's had time to work out bugs so I'm thinking the Note will be as solid as my Note 8 has been. I haven't really heard any issues on the Samsung pages so thats a positve.

BT I rock my daughters hand me down Beats and run with cheap Ankars so I am not that much of an audiophile that will notice. But I am eyeing the new Sony BT MX4 coming out very soon... maybe the Bose 700. I got my wife the previous QC last month for less that $200 on Amazon?!

I'm really hoping good things for the Note 20 and hope I like it... but if not I'm kinda getting jazzed over a Note 10+ 5 Gangsta not a bad fallback option.

You'll like the Galaxy Buds, Samsung finally got the firmware dialed in; the audio and run time on the Plus model is even better.

I'm never expecting miracles on any smartphone cams but the Note 10 plus does a good job.
>If you use a package blocker like I do know that the Note 10's cam needs some of Bixby AI apks running to function properly, lol... took me a little while to realize that.
It's a complex critter... and a lot of fun.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I was just wondering after 6+ months if owners can chime in on what kind of battery life you are getting whether SOT or experience if you are making it during the day with whatever % left. Anyone can tell me how more battery the 5G variant consumes over the regular Note +??

Haven't browsed this site much cause just been happy with the Note 8 but I am thinking of upgrading at end of year and I am considering my options. The Ultra has been IMO disappointing in that the camera seems wonky for $1400.

So now I am waiting on the Note 20 but in case they don't fix/change the camera system by then (they can't just drop in the current Ultra camera system without it sorted out or improved if they are going to charge at least $1400) or they have gone too bigger than the Ultra in dimensions. I'm also not excited about the rumor of them using a updated/new Exynos chip considering how current chip is performing on the Ultras and not sure if they intend to outsource their display for the Note 20 or wait until the S21 and see how the quality is so I won't be pre-ordering my phone at release like I did with my 8 until I hear some reviews.

So I'm thinking instead of going with an S20+, I can get the Note 10+ through my corp connection at work for $449... the same price I bought my Note 8 for 3 years ago. Or I can get a Note+ 5G for $799... cheaper than I can get a S20+... and I think the Note 10+ is just as good as those. A Note 10+ at $449 can tie me over for another year no problem while I see what they do with the S21 or Note 21... or honestly the iPhone 12 Pro and 13 Pro.

The Note 10+ I think has the same battery size of the S20+ so I wonder how far off the battery life is between the two. And wonder how the 5G variants compares to the S20+ also.

What carrier you're on and where you live will have an impact on whether or not 5G is really worth spending extra for. I was feeling pretty squirelly a couple days ago, and almost pulled the trigger on either a Note 10+ 5G or a S20+/Ultra. The only reason being that TMo has sub6 5G in my area, and it's supposed to help with building penetration. I'm less concerned with speed benefits. I currently can't get service in the part of the building I work in which is a big pain.
The battery on my Note 10+ (non 5G) is still performing as it did when I got it. I've never run into an issue that I was low on charge. I plug my phone in when I wake up, and by the time I leave for work I have plenty of battery to make it through the day. I rarely pay attention to screen on time anymore.
$450 is a great price on a Note 10+. Sure, the S20's are a little more future proof, but you could sell the Note for more than that right now if you wanted to upgrade when the Note 20 or S21 came out.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I went from a note 8 to 10+ and found no difference in battery life for my usage. In other words, the percentage is around the same after an 8-10 hour shift. from that you can say since the 10+ has a bigger battery it drains it a bit faster.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I went from a note 8 to 10+ and found no difference in battery life for my usage. In other words, the percentage is around the same after an 8-10 hour shift. from that you can say since the 10+ has a bigger battery it drains it a bit faster.
There should definitely be an increase in battery life between a Note 8 with 3300mAh and a Note 10+ with 4300mAh!

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
There should definitely be an increase in battery life between a Note 8 with 3300mAh and a Note 10+ with 4300mAh!

not necessarily, just because something looks better on paper does not always mean it's so. there was a reason for the increase battery size and it was not just to give the user longer usage. anyway, I am just giving my actual experience over the same period of time on both. others will have different experiences.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
With my Note 8 I was getting more like 7-8 hour SoT if I remember correctly and that would drop to 5-6 hours when on holidays in the sun, display brightness sucks power big time, which obviously should be expected

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
You'll get good bat life if you keep in the Optimized mode and dial in power management correctly.
Dark mode, keeping the screen mostly black, and screen brightness at 50% or lower helps a lot.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
You'll get good bat life if you keep in the Optimized mode and dial in power management correctly.
Dark mode, keeping the screen mostly black, and screen brightness at 50% or lower helps a lot.
Not to mention disabling the Samsung junk that's not needed.

Medium power saving mode is the best, it downclocks the CPU a bit and might restrict some background activity but the battery gains seem to be much worth it.

And it doesn't annoyingly force stop all vibrations such as haptic feedback while typing, unlike Pixel phones.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Not to mention disabling the Samsung junk that's not needed.

Medium power saving mode is the best, it downclocks the CPU a bit and might restrict some background activity but the battery gains seem to be much worth it.

And it doesn't annoyingly force stop all vibrations such as haptic feedback while typing, unlike Pixel phones.

Medium Power Saving will goofs up apps I use a lot.
No go.
Maximum Power Saving really screws it up; after you go back to Optimized some apps need to be reconfigured :(
Not worth the trouble it causes.
Easiest to run in Optimized, apps and games run good.
These settings work best for me, running on Pie:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200506-114504_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20200506-114504_Device care.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 32

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
N975U1 here. I use dark mode but no other non-default power-saving modes. Screen is 1440p, and no sensors, radios, apps, or services are disabled. I charge overnight and then use the phone throughout the day. After almost 9 months, I average about 24 hours of charge, 5 hours of screen time (as extrapolated by GSam Battery Monitor from the charge remaining when I recharge again overnight).

Cowql8er

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I went from the Note 8 to the Note 10+ 5G. The difference isn't worth it for the money unless you get a good deal imho. I'm never one of the 9-10 SOT people. I like my phone bright and I like having the resolution on max. I do disable 5G since it is not built out in my area. The best thing about the Note 10+ as far as battery goes, is the 45W charge rate. I have my Chromebook charger at home and another at work, both capable of 45W+. I plug mine in for 15 minutes or so while I change and wind down from work and it gives it the boost it needs to last the rest of the night. I use a wireless charging pad overnight to top it off for the next day. This feature really is a deal maker when it comes to battery life throughout the day.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29