How well does the Fiio E18 portable d/a micro USB audio converter work with the Nexus 6?

A

AC Question

Fiio E18 portable d/a micro USB audio converter with Nexus 6

Now I have bought it. I see (after looking all over) they only have Nexus 5 listed as supported (not 6) . I have tried messing around with the developer USB options but so far no luck. It just says NO USB audio device found.

Any suggestions apart from sending it back?

Would rooting it work?

Thanks in advance

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Fiio E18 portable d/a micro USB audio converter with Nexus 6

Now I have bought it. I see (after looking all over) they only have Nexus 5 listed as supported (not 6) . I have tried messing around with the developer USB options but so far no luck. It just says NO USB audio device found.

Any suggestions apart from sending it back?

Would rooting it work?

Thanks in advance
I checked and the spec sheet says it's compatible with all Android and iOS devices. What happens when you get it all hooked up? Is there anything happening?

Before sending it back, have you tried reaching out to the company to see if they can offer support?

Gearslut1

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

I do have an email into their tech support yes. Thank you. I will see if I can get the converter to work with my MacBook Air. If so, it's not a total loss and I would keep it.

Gearslut1

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

Riiight!

Still no joy with Nexus 6 (gahhh!)

I suspect I am SOL there.

HOW-EVER! Its sounds amazing for my MBAir so its a keeper..!

Here is why

I often work in cafe's or shared workspaces and I use bose QC20i earbuds to reduce the background chatter and espresso machine steam noise & the coffee cup clanking and to do Skype calls without feeling an ***** talking down into my laptops mic.

I listen to a mixture of Spotify & iTunes (at home I get HiRes Audio going via a fancy converter)

Spotify sounds GREAT via this and lifts a veil off the Mac's headphone out.

I wont get into too much far out HiFi buff tonal descriptives except to say it sounds
Super-wide
Clear
Expensive
and er.. "captivating"
Like I could spend all day enjoying it.

it really shone on some John Barry soundtrack stuff with hammer dulcimer, breathy brass sections and orchestral "spookyness".

I had it playing a 192k 24 bit file via the Mac app Decibel for a few secs but I could never get it to play again... (have to work on that some more....)

Its about the size of an iphone 5 and light enough to toss in my shoulder bag..

Hopefully they will figure out the Nexus 6 soon (my fingers are falling off from web searches about it)

This is my first thread I am a new convert from iOS -

Looking forward to hanging out online with Android peeps...

Gearslut1

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

OK tech support got back to me - there is hope!

Will report back later.

Gearslut1

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

Yay!!! Sucesss!

I had to have it set to phone (not pc USB)

(it confused me as you can feed it a mini jack analog input at the top of the device also)

Doh!!

Its sounds great!

Its conversion tops out at 96k 24bit but it can play 192k 24bit files back fine.

Last edited:

bold lover

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the Nexus 6 and am looking to get the E18.

Can you post some photos, how well do they carry together with the bands?

How much better is the audio quality? I noticed on my Nexus 6 that it has quite a noticeable noise floor.

Is it worth the cost? What specific audio improvements did you notice with the E18, wider soundstage?

I'm looking to use some UERM custom in ears with this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer