T-mobile is trying their level best to woo Verizon folks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use T-Mobile due to them having good coverage in my area and the fact they have unlimited data. The day I don't need unlimited data (such as if I get good wifi at work) then I will most likely go to Verizon for the coverage.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I switched to T-Mobile in January 2014 after being a very long time VZW customer (15-ish years). I wasn't unhappy with VZW, but I just wanted to try something different for a change. In the areas I'm in, I get excellent coverage. No, T-mobile does not have the largest coverage area. But they go have the same coverage area that VZW has for the areas I'm in. I have 3 phones on my plan, all smartphones with unlimited data and I'm paying $60 a month less than I was with VZW. Do we need unlimited data on all 3 phones? Probably not. But I'm in IT and it's nice to be able to do a lit of my work from my phone and not have to worry about being billed extra $$$ for overages.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The pricing isn't as big of a difference as you might think, depending on your situation: i.e. if you don't need unlimited data. You can get 2 lines on Verizon with 10gb of data for $110 (if you bring your own devices or finance both phones through Edge). With my work discount I actually pay $94 on Verizon + the two phone payments (one of which i immediately sold so I could continue to buy and sell phones since I switch phones about once a month).

If you need unlimited data then obviously a capped plan like verizon becomes insanely expensive.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The pricing isn't as big of a difference as you might think, depending on your situation: i.e. if you don't need unlimited data. You can get 2 lines on Verizon with 10gb of data for $110 (if you bring your own devices or finance both phones through Edge). With my work discount I actually pay $94 on Verizon + the two phone payments (one of which i immediately sold so I could continue to buy and sell phones since I switch phones about once a month).

If you need unlimited data then obviously a capped plan like verizon becomes insanely expensive.

I got the 30 GB plan for 130 when it was offered (verizon). But then there is the 40 per line charge extra. After taxes shy of 300 for 3 phones

Posted via the Android Central App

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the 30 GB plan for 130 when it was offered (verizon). But then there is the 40 per line charge extra. After taxes shy of 300 for 3 phones

Is it safe to assume that you are still under contract since you mentioned a price of $40 per line (instead of the $15 per line when out of contract?)

Regarding T-Mobile coverage, I carry a personal Verizon Nexus 6 and a work T-Mobile iPhone 5s. T-Mobile's data connection is completely unusable if I am not extremely close to a big city. I drive 50k miles a year, and can definitely attest to the fact that you don't want to rely on a T-Mobile connection if you spend any time driving between large cities. Additionally, trying to use T-Mobile's data network for hotspot connectivity during the drive from the Midwest to Florida makes for some pretty pissed off kids in the car...

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

If you can get on a family plan with 6 lines (or more), T-Mo is pretty cheap - $20 per line (total $120). Combine it with the fact that they include (low speed) data and texting when traveling overseas, and most music streaming services don't count towards data allotment - and I can't find anything remotely close with Verizon (or the other 2 large carriers).
I get work discount on top of this, so my net cost per line is even less.

T-Mo's coverage in most cities is pretty good. I understand that their coverage outside of large cities is not as good (nowhere close to Verizon/ATT), but if I ever need to be in a rural area for an extended period of time, I'll just get an ATT prepaid SIM and use it for that time (I use Google voice anyway, so Tel# doesn't matter)

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Their unlimited data plan is what made me give them a test drive. I just couldn't get anything more than dog slow speeds out at my house in the boonies.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it safe to assume that you are still under contract since you mentioned a price of $40 per line (instead of the $15 per line when out of contract?)

Regarding T-Mobile coverage, I carry a personal Verizon Nexus 6 and a work T-Mobile iPhone 5s. T-Mobile's data connection is completely unusable if I am not extremely close to a big city. I drive 50k miles a year, and can definitely attest to the fact that you don't want to rely on a T-Mobile connection if you spend any time driving between large cities. Additionally, trying to use T-Mobile's data network for hotspot connectivity during the drive from the Midwest to Florida makes for some pretty pissed off kids in the car...

Its the edge program and I get 25 off that 40

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My daughter and son in law tried to switch from VZW to Tmobile last year to try and save money (Phoenix) and it was a complete disaster. Their calls wouldn't even go through to them when they called each other in the same room. I know there were other issues too, just don't recall what they were. They went back to VZW 5 days later.

I have been on VZW for 14+ years (Tucson) and we get great coverage service, although I do feel quite depleted every month when I send them a check for $215.88! (2 unlimited lines, 2 dumb lines) It just shouldn't cost this much....in my opinion

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My daughter and son in law tried to switch from VZW to Tmobile last year to try and save money (Phoenix) and it was a complete disaster. Their calls wouldn't even go through to them when they called each other in the same room. I know there were other issues too, just don't recall what they were. They went back to VZW 5 days later.

I have been on VZW for 14+ years (Tucson) and we get great coverage service, although I do feel quite depleted every month when I send them a check for $215.88! (2 unlimited lines, 2 dumb lines) It just shouldn't cost this much....in my opinion

The VZW bills are definitely not cheap. I'm also in Tucson and it's hard to compete with Verizon's coverage here and the rest of Arizona. Sprint is terrible and T-Mo has great data speeds in town, but travel out of town and the coverage is abysmal.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

We have 3 phones and it's close to 300 but that's with 30gb data

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The VZW bills are definitely not cheap. I'm also in Tucson and it's hard to compete with Verizon's coverage here and the rest of Arizona. Sprint is terrible and T-Mo has great data speeds in town, but travel out of town and the coverage is abysmal.
Hey neighbor..... Yes we tried all the other carriers many years ago, to be fair, long before smart phones and 4G, but continue to hear from others who live here that thier service just doesn't compare.

One on my agents had Tmobile for years and would rave how cheap his bill was, yet complained every single day how he missed calls or didn't get a voice mail.... and on and on.... But keep enjoying the low monthly amount you pay to get bad service, no service!