OTA Help 5.1.1 VZW

shaundiesel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Verizon branded Nexus 6...I unlocked the boot loader with TWRP (Just to get the tap to unlock feature). I never rooted the phone however. I just received the 5.1.1 OTA update. How do I go about installing this? Is there a way to do it through TWRP? I see the update.zip in /cache, FWIW. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To take an OTA, the phone needs to be stock... System and recovery. If you want to update without reloading the factory image, you'll have to do it manually (sideload)

Do a Google search for updating a system image without wipe. It's pretty simple.

shaundiesel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
To take an OTA, the phone needs to be stock... System and recovery. If you want to update without reloading the factory image, you'll have to do it manually (sideload)

Do a Google search for updating a system image without wipe. It's pretty simple.

Leo, sorry if this is NEWB....I unlocked the boot loader literally ONLY to have the tap2wake feature. In order to unlock the boot loader, I had to install a custom recovery (TWRP). In all honesty, I wouldn't mind losing the tap2wake feature and going back to stock recovery because the tap2wake sucks on the nexus 6, unlike my nexus 9 which works great. Essentially, I just want the latest 5.1.1 build, and the easiest way to go about it. Thoughts?

I'm not extremely advanced, but not completely NEWB either. Just looking for easiest method, and would hate to have to wipe and start over.

MG386

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Download the factory image for 5.1.1 the US cellular/sprint version. Boot into bootloader and fastboot, bootloader, radio, system, and clear cache and dalvik cache. U will be updated with your data remaining

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

shaundiesel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I ended up flashing the stock image, then accepting the OTA...However, when it restarted to install the OTA, after about half way, it came up with the Android on his side and the Red X and said FAILED. It's now restarting but optimizing apps, so I'm not sure what the situation is.

shaundiesel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So...Unfortunately the process did not go smoothly or correctly. I downloaded the 5.1.0 factory image from Google developer page, unzipped it, grabbed the Recovery.img file out, and flashed via fast boot to get stock recovery back on the device. That worked (kind of). Unfortunately, now when I try to update via OTA, it gets about 50-75% through in recovery, then fails. I have to restart the phone, and I'm still on 5.1. Then, I immediately get the notification of the 5.1.1 update available, but it just does the same thing. Thoughts?

shaundiesel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Download the factory image for 5.1.1 the US cellular/sprint version. Boot into bootloader and fastboot, bootloader, radio, system, and clear cache and dalvik cache. U will be updated with your data remaining

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm Verizon.

Gunner588

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I am a bit baffled why you had to use flash TWRP to unlock your bootloader when from fastboot on any nexus device you just type the bootloader oem unlock command. Also to flash TWRP you would have had to been already unlocked. Just to be safe I would recommend holding off until the factory image for Verizon has been released. As of the time of this post it hasn't been. You have no way to get the phone up and running if it should brick since I believe there is a change in the bootloader in the new update, so flashing backwards (downgrading) could prove very risky.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hold on, let me see if someone grabbed the files out of the ota

https://android.googleapis.com/pack...Y47Z-from-LMY47E-fullradio-fix-superblock.zip

This is a twrp flashable version of the OTA. You should be on LMY47E. You might lose root (no big deal) but it won't bomb because of the checks from the official.

By the way, from what I've read, this is the same LMY47Z used by Sprint, so you can load the full LMY47Z factory image of you want....

Last edited:

Gunner588

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I am still going to wait until the factory image is posted for Verizon. I believe the radios will be different due to their "Advanced calling" option.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe... but the baseband versions are identical based on some of the posts I've seen. If they were different, I wouldn't expect that.

Load it up.... try out VoLTE and if it works, you're done. Worst case is it doesn't work and you just go back to the 5.1 factory image.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non