Is owning a Nexus 6 in 2016 worth sticking with?

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I also have both a N5X and a N6.

5X Wins: Fingerprint scanner and weight
6 Wins: Screen, Qi charging, stereo speakers, and IP67

I would love a hybrid of these two phones: 5.75" screen, Qi charging, fingerprint scanner, IP68, and stereo speakers.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I am seriously looking at the Moto Z Force. I love my Nexus 6, but having to reset the device every 6 months or so to fix the camera lag is getting annoying.

Try launching the camera app by double tapping the power button. It still takes two seconds before it's ready to capture a photo, but you will save four seconds by not having to turn on the screen, swipe up to unlock, enter your pin/pattern, find the camera app in the interface, and tap it.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Try launching the camera app by double tapping the power button. It still takes two seconds before it's ready to capture a photo, but you will save four seconds by not having to turn on the screen, swipe up to unlock, enter your pin/pattern, find the camera app in the interface, and tap it.

Or just use a different camera app. CamerazoomFx is my current replacement.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
6 Wins: Screen, Qi charging, stereo speakers, and IP67
You may be giving the N6 too much credit here. IP 67 implies a phone can survive a 30 minute dunk in shallow water. Far as I remember the N6 only has a nano coating that repels water, but that wouldn't be enough to keep water out of the speaker grilles let alone the headphone jack and the charging port.

But the other 3 points are right on, and I'd add a mighty good set of Motorola radios, too.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
You may be giving the N6 too much credit here. IP 67 implies ... <snip>
I don't think so.. My N6 has been completely dunked three times, with no adverse effects. The most recent was just two weeks ago; I dropped it in the Cimarron River in NM while fishing. It took a while to get it out, and it's no worse for the wear. That would have been an expensive ender for non-IP67 handsets.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a Nexus 6 32GB White and updated it to Marshmallow 6.0.1 February 2016 update and I sometimes see the Nexus 6P as the 'better' device but will cost me more money. Should I stay with the Nexus 6?

Still worth it today. In fact just bought one to replace my broken Note 4.

B frizzle

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I love my nexus 6, but I do want to upgrade. However especially with CDMA it's hard to find anything that really comes close. It really is the perfect form factor, it has metal edges but soft plastic body for less scratches and better grip. It has almost no bottom and side bezels but enough you can grip the phone from the side and not touch the screen. No SD and no fingerprint are the only downsides. The battery is sufficient for the device, however with my usage patterns I could use a bigger battery. It still charges as fast if not faster than all the current flagship models. Stereo speakers that are forward facing is also important to me because you can set the sound direction. My wife just got a pixel so time will tell, but I don't think I'll will be looking at any new devices until mid 2017.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so.. My N6 has been completely dunked three times, with no adverse effects. The most recent was just two weeks ago; I dropped it in the Cimarron River in NM while fishing. It took a while to get it out, and it's no worse for the wear. That would have been an expensive ender for non-IP67 handsets.

Cool!! But I'm definitely taking your word for it.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The only reasons that I see for an upgrade is

1. Fingerprint access. Makes unlocking very fast and convenient. In bad lighting, the face unlock doesn't work well.
2. Outdoor visibility. It's pretty bad even at full brightness especially when the screen is smudged
3. If you want the latest upgrades. For people like me who are on custom ROMs, this point is invalid.
4. Better camera. In spite of all the upgrades and new Google camera, it's still slow... Damn slow..

Otherwise it's still a mighty performer, 2 yrs after it was released.

Have to say that Motorola did a good job with this beast

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
With 7.1.1 and I killed auto loading media in Twitter (which was apparently using a lot of data) my battery life is as good as I ever remember it. Speed is fine for what I do. A little more RAM would be nice, but it works fine when I don't have 30 tabs in Chrome. I don't want to live with compromises of smaller display, lack of front speakers, and no wireless charging.

My only complaints are the slow camera (though HDR+ gives great still shots) and with 7.1.1 the ambient brightness adjustment can be quite erratic.