Nexus 6 cannot update to Nougat - Project Fi

mantangg

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I have an unlocked N6/64GB that I purchased new from Amazon last yr, specifically to get on Project Fi.
It is stock, no hacks. Some apps, all from the play store. It came with Lollipop, 5.1.1 and is still on that.

I started getting the Nougat OTA messages but they are not working, tried several times. With and w/o connecting to external power, cleared the cache, etc., the usual basic trial and error stuff...

After a fair bit of reading on the net and tried getting the OTA pkg directly from developer.android.com and that is also not working. Some help will be very much appreciated. TIA!

I have installed Android Studio. Installed the SDK ADB driver on the PC, Win 8.1 and another one Win 7.

Updated the USB drivers as well from Intel.

Enabled developer option on the phone and turned on USB debugging.

When the phone is connected to the PCs, there is no warning and device is browse-able and seen in Device Manager as ADB device.

From the Command Prompt, adb see the phone correctly and can put it into "reboot recovery".

The OTA file has been copied into the AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools dir, same place as the adb

Now it should be a breeze to "adb sideload" the downloaded OTA file (called it shamu.zip) right?

No, once in recovery mode, device it not visible. So some more reading and found that I need to check the properties "adb shell getprop"

That shows "ro.debuggable = 0"

Hence device not visible in adb recovery mode. What to do now?

wezi427

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlocked N6/64GB that I purchased new from Amazon last yr, specifically to get on Project Fi.
It is stock, no hacks. Some apps, all from the play store. It came with Lollipop, 5.1.1 and is still on that.

I started getting the Nougat OTA messages but they are not working, tried several times. With and w/o connecting to external power, cleared the cache, etc., the usual basic trial and error stuff...

After a fair bit of reading on the net and tried getting the OTA pkg directly from developer.android.com and that is also not working. Some help will be very much appreciated. TIA!

I have installed Android Studio. Installed the SDK ADB driver on the PC, Win 8.1 and another one Win 7.

Updated the USB drivers as well from Intel.

When the phone is connected to the PCs, there is no warning and device is browse-able and seen in Device Manager as ADB device.

From the Command Prompt, adb see the phone correctly and can put it into "reboot recovery".

The OTA file has been copied into the AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools dir, same place as the adb

Now it should be a breeze to "adb sideload" the downloaded OTA file (called it shamu.zip) right?

No, once in recovery mode, device it not visible. So some more reading and found that I need to check the properties "adb shell getprop"

That shows "ro.debuggable = 0"

Hence device not visible in adb recovery mode. What to do now?

Why are you still in Lollipop? Marshmallow........

mantangg

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
Google never pushed OTA for N6 to go to Marshmallow. I suppose I could have tried updating manually but I didn't.

It is possible that people with N6 on regular carriers might have received 6.x OTA from their carrier. But I am on Project Fi, so completely on Google's mercy.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

No, once in recovery mode, device it not visible.

A little unclear, so asking for some additional clarification
  1. When your phone is powered on, and connected to your PC, you can run ADB DEVICES command and it sees your phone. Right?
  2. You indicated that you have USB debugging enabled
  3. Make sure you downloaded the full OTA file for your specific device from https://developers.google.com/android/ota
  4. Now, if you execute "adb reboot recovery" (without quotes) on the command prompt on your PC, it should reboot your phone and get you to a screen with Android Logo with red exclamation mark - do you get that?
  5. From here, Hold the Power button and press Volume Up once, and a menu will appear. Select the option Apply update from ADB. Done?
  6. On your PC, execute "adb sideload ota_file.zip" (no quotes, replace the zip filename appropriately). What happens when you try this? If there is an error, what is the exact error message?
  7. If update applies successfully, choose the option to Reboot the system now.

mantangg

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
A little unclear, so asking for some additional clarification
  1. When your phone is powered on, and connected to your PC, you can run ADB DEVICES command and it sees your phone. Right?
  2. You indicated that you have USB debugging enabled
  3. Make sure you downloaded the full OTA file for your specific device from https://developers.google.com/android/ota
  4. Now, if you execute "adb reboot recovery" (without quotes) on the command prompt on your PC, it should reboot your phone and get you to a screen with Android Logo with red exclamation mark - do you get that?
  5. From here, Hold the Power button and press Volume Up once, and a menu will appear. Select the option Apply update from ADB. Done?
  6. On your PC, execute "adb sideload ota_file.zip" (no quotes, replace the zip filename appropriately). What happens when you try this? If there is an error, what is the exact error message?
  7. If update applies successfully, choose the option to Reboot the system now.

yes, when the phone is connected to the PC, "adb devices" shows the phone and "adb reboot recovery" puts the
phone in recovery mode, Android Logo with red exclamation mark.

I did not do "apply update from ADB" step, that is not listed on the developers site.

I directly typed the cmd "adb sideload <ota_file>.zip" on the PC. Which fails saying "no devices found..."

mantangg

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I tried the update again, this time with the additional step of selecting "Apply update from ADB" on the phone before doing "adb sideload shamu.zip" from the command prompt on the PC.

Same problem!

It say "applying update ..." then a few seconds later "No devices of emulators found".

I have now lost faith in Google/Android. No one should have to go through this much trouble to update a completely stock Nexus device that is only 2 yr old.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I own a Nexus 6 with Fi sim. I did get the Marshmallow update sometime last year. Guess the path to update is 5->6->7.

I haven't received any notification for updates to Nougat yet. Only those who opted for Beta have got it.

So I guess you should try to update to Marshmallow before getting for Nougat.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't received any notification for updates to Nougat yet. Only those who opted for Beta have got it.

My phone for Nougat (not on Fi though) a few weeks ago - I didn't opt into beta. You may want to reach out to Google Support and see if they can give a useful response (besides the canned "it is rolling out in waves - hang in there" response)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It say "applying update ..." then a few seconds later "No devices of emulators found".

Google has already made the OTA freely available. It's just up to you to correctly use the sideload procedure. or flash the update manually. You error clearly means you don't have the proper
drivers. I spent about 6 hrs trying to get sideload to work. You have to configure the driver while you're in sideload mode. Open device manager and look for other devices. Go through and manually select a ADB Interface. For me I tried several but Android ADB Interface was the only one that worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38