Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By YAYTech
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Docking Station?

    Are there any clues yet as to what the 4 pins are going to be used for? A docking station maybe? A keyboard? Speakers? I'd love a speaker charging station. Also, would Google sell it via the Play Store? Lots of questions I know, but I'm dying for a docking station.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  
    KitN's Avatar

    Posts
    485 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Those pins are for a vaporware dock that was supposed to be released months ago... Don't think anything will ever be released for this device that's Asus/Google-made.

    Thank God for 3rd party accessory makers or we'd be seriously screwed. :banghead:

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    I was wondering what those things were! I'm getting a BT keyboard so not sure why I'd need a dock.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    I was wondering what those things were! I'm getting a BT keyboard so not sure why I'd need a dock.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    A dock would prop up the tablet and charge while you're using it. I use a dock on my nightstand for my phone that I love. I've ordered a Portenzo case that will hold the tablet up. If I get a BT keyboard, I'll have a nice little, ultra-portable typing/note taking system.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    I've got the Logitech keyboard coming and it has a stand for the tablet. We'll see how that works out.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Those pins are for a vaporware dock that was supposed to be released months ago... Don't think anything will ever be released for this device that's Asus/Google-made.

    Thank God for 3rd party accessory makers or we'd be seriously screwed. :banghead:

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    The dock was supposed to be released last month, not "months ago". The N7 has only been out for 3 months (almost exactly). I too am disappointed by the dock not being out yet, but lets not get overly dramatic over an accessory.
    AstronomerXI likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    It doesn't look like the dock will work with a case anyway... I never understood that. We put cases on these things, people.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    I also think it's ridiculous that we still don't have an Asus dock.
    3 months is acceptable? What is unacceptable then? It's a freaking piece of plastic with a charger cable. Clearly they aren't making it yet because not everyone will be buying it (tiny market share). But this is not an excuse. You must respect your customer.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by undertow82 View Post
    Are there any clues yet as to what the 4 pins are going to be used for? A docking station maybe? A keyboard? Speakers? I'd love a speaker charging station. Also, would Google sell it via the Play Store? Lots of questions I know, but I'm dying for a docking station.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Welcome to yesterday. :rolleyes:

    What is the 4 pin connector used for?
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
  10. #10  
    brett328's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Really doesnt add up. Makes me wonder if the software needs an update to enable the charging pins on the side. What else could explain the delay from not only ASUS, but all other 3rd party manufacturers? With millions sold and millions more to be sold, there can be little explanation for the lack of a charging dock. This is not a sophisticated device, plastic injection molded piece of hardware with an integrated power cord.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    The lack of Nexus accessories is just unacceptable! :thumbdown:

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    As someone pointed out in another thread, the N7 didn't support a landscape mode homescreen until, what, less than 2 weeks ago? So selling a landscape dock for a tablet that doesn't completely support landscape mode might've been an issue, and might be why we haven't seen it yet. Part of me is thinking maybe they'll show it monday, though I'm not holding my breath.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    I've got the Logitech keyboard coming and it has a stand for the tablet. We'll see how that works out.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    How did the Logitech keyboard work out?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    As someone pointed out in another thread, the N7 didn't support a landscape mode homescreen until, what, less than 2 weeks ago? So selling a landscape dock for a tablet that doesn't completely support landscape mode might've been an issue, and might be why we haven't seen it yet. Part of me is thinking maybe they'll show it monday, though I'm not holding my breath.
    The Clock app will rotate. MY HTC phone has a "Dock mode" app that shows clock, separate background, music, etc. and rotates. Pretty lame, actually.

    How do we know that these aren't meant to work in an as-yet unannounced car dock?
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    I love my Nexus 7, but I do wish there were more accessories for it. I would really like a decent sounding charging/speaker dock. I will continue to try and be patient but I hope we don't have to wait too much longer.
  16. #16  
    mrgdr57's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Early December...

    http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...early-december

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgdr57 View Post
    Early December...

    Nexus 7 docking station coming in 'early December' | Android Central

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    ...in Japan.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  18. #18  
    svfd757's Avatar

    Posts
    696 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue View Post
    The lack of Nexus accessories is just unacceptable! :thumbdown:

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    This is my major "gripe" with the Nexus line. Go to any store and you can find something for an iProduct. It kills me that they create a device with so much potential and hamstring it with no accessories. I guess they think that an entirely open system is enough to appease the masses.
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by svfd757 View Post
    This is my major "gripe" with the Nexus line. Go to any store and you can find something for an iProduct. It kills me that they create a device with so much potential and hamstring it with no accessories. I guess they think that an entirely open system is enough to appease the masses.
    It's an issue of sales volume and connector standards. iStuff is made to use the same connector, which is designed with accessories in mind, for multiple generations of products that sell at higher volumes than other devices. So as accessory manufacturers are looking at making stuff, they are considering how many they can sell.

    As of August:
    Apple, meanwhile, has sold a total of 85 million iPhones in the U.S. since 2007 launch and 34 million iPads since 2010.
    From what I can find, about 3 million Nexus 7s have been sold. So comparatively, the market for iStuff accessories is HUGE. On top of that, because Android devices don't have a standard for docks, accessories are only relevant as long as the device they are specifically for is relevant. For tablets, that's what... 9 months? A year? Meanwhile iStuff docks have changed only once since launch that I'm aware of, and you can still use a lot of older accessories with an adapter.

    I too would like more accessories, but you can't expect anywhere near the same variety as is available for iStuff unless a standard is created for Android devices, which I don't see happening.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  20. #20  
    Maturola's Avatar

    Posts
    38 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by undertow82 View Post
    Are there any clues yet as to what the 4 pins are going to be used for? A docking station maybe? A keyboard? Speakers? I'd love a speaker charging station. Also, would Google sell it via the Play Store? Lots of questions I know, but I'm dying for a docking station.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Those Pogo PINs are Power, Ground and USB Audio.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS
  21. #21  
    svfd757's Avatar

    Posts
    696 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    It's an issue of sales volume and connector standards. iStuff is made to use the same connector, which is designed with accessories in mind, for multiple generations of products that sell at higher volumes than other devices. So as accessory manufacturers are looking at making stuff, they are considering how many they can sell.

    As of August:


    From what I can find, about 3 million Nexus 7s have been sold. So comparatively, the market for iStuff accessories is HUGE. On top of that, because Android devices don't have a standard for docks, accessories are only relevant as long as the device they are specifically for is relevant. For tablets, that's what... 9 months? A year? Meanwhile iStuff docks have changed only once since launch that I'm aware of, and you can still use a lot of older accessories with an adapter.

    I too would like more accessories, but you can't expect anywhere near the same variety as is available for iStuff unless a standard is created for Android devices, which I don't see happening.
    This is kind of to my point. The Nexus line IS the standard of Google. They need to take a page from apple and support THEIR products with accessories. I understand that WalMart and Krogers will not carry these accesories like they do iCrap, but at least make them available....
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    I bought a cradle for my Nexus 7. Just as your reference.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    I hope that since the play store and the nexus line are going great that we will starting a move by Google or at least a nod to the accessory people to get going.

    Google should be working on accessories now to capitalize on the popularity of the nexus products. I hope Google starts putting out some accessories vary soon.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Somebody posted a vid of unboxing the official dock

  25. #25  

    Default Re: Docking Station?

    Looks like part # Q5G. Hmmmm.....
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Similar Threads

  1. Feature Ad for the HDMI docking station.
    By csierra72 in forum EVO Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 09:30 AM
  2. What does the new Docking Station screen look like
    By SSHGuru in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 04:00 PM
  3. Backflip Docking station
    By rvmarkus in forum Motorola Backflip
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 06:41 PM
  4. Landscape Style Docking Station?
    By dtboos in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 05:42 PM
  5. Docking station
    By bmderuosi in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

B