Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By YAYTech
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Docking Station?

Are there any clues yet as to what the 4 pins are going to be used for? A docking station maybe? A keyboard? Speakers? I'd love a speaker charging station. Also, would Google sell it via the Play Store? Lots of questions I know, but I'm dying for a docking station.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Default Re: Docking Station?

Those pins are for a vaporware dock that was supposed to be released months ago... Don't think anything will ever be released for this device that's Asus/Google-made.

Thank God for 3rd party accessory makers or we'd be seriously screwed. :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I was wondering what those things were! I'm getting a BT keyboard so not sure why I'd need a dock.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    I was wondering what those things were! I'm getting a BT keyboard so not sure why I'd need a dock.

A dock would prop up the tablet and charge while you're using it. I use a dock on my nightstand for my phone that I love. I've ordered a Portenzo case that will hold the tablet up. If I get a BT keyboard, I'll have a nice little, ultra-portable typing/note taking system.

I've got the Logitech keyboard coming and it has a stand for the tablet. We'll see how that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Those pins are for a vaporware dock that was supposed to be released months ago... Don't think anything will ever be released for this device that's Asus/Google-made.

Thank God for 3rd party accessory makers or we'd be seriously screwed. :banghead:

The dock was supposed to be released last month, not "months ago". The N7 has only been out for 3 months (almost exactly). I too am disappointed by the dock not being out yet, but lets not get overly dramatic over an accessory.
    AstronomerXI likes this.

It doesn't look like the dock will work with a case anyway... I never understood that. We put cases on these things, people.

I also think it's ridiculous that we still don't have an Asus dock.
    3 months is acceptable? What is unacceptable then? It's a freaking piece of plastic with a charger cable. Clearly they aren't making it yet because not everyone will be buying it (tiny market share). But this is not an excuse. You must respect your customer.

Quote Originally Posted by undertow82 View Post
    Are there any clues yet as to what the 4 pins are going to be used for? A docking station maybe? A keyboard? Speakers? I'd love a speaker charging station. Also, would Google sell it via the Play Store? Lots of questions I know, but I'm dying for a docking station.

Welcome to yesterday. :rolleyes:

What is the 4 pin connector used for?
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Really doesnt add up. Makes me wonder if the software needs an update to enable the charging pins on the side. What else could explain the delay from not only ASUS, but all other 3rd party manufacturers? With millions sold and millions more to be sold, there can be little explanation for the lack of a charging dock. This is not a sophisticated device, plastic injection molded piece of hardware with an integrated power cord.

The lack of Nexus accessories is just unacceptable! :thumbdown:

As someone pointed out in another thread, the N7 didn't support a landscape mode homescreen until, what, less than 2 weeks ago? So selling a landscape dock for a tablet that doesn't completely support landscape mode might've been an issue, and might be why we haven't seen it yet. Part of me is thinking maybe they'll show it monday, though I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    I've got the Logitech keyboard coming and it has a stand for the tablet. We'll see how that works out.

How did the Logitech keyboard work out?

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    As someone pointed out in another thread, the N7 didn't support a landscape mode homescreen until, what, less than 2 weeks ago? So selling a landscape dock for a tablet that doesn't completely support landscape mode might've been an issue, and might be why we haven't seen it yet. Part of me is thinking maybe they'll show it monday, though I'm not holding my breath.
    The Clock app will rotate. MY HTC phone has a "Dock mode" app that shows clock, separate background, music, etc. and rotates. Pretty lame, actually.

How do we know that these aren't meant to work in an as-yet unannounced car dock?
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

I love my Nexus 7, but I do wish there were more accessories for it. I would really like a decent sounding charging/speaker dock. I will continue to try and be patient but I hope we don't have to wait too much longer.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Early December...

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-...early-december

Quote Originally Posted by mrgdr57 View Post
    Early December...

Nexus 7 docking station coming in 'early December' | Android Central

...in Japan.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue View Post
    The lack of Nexus accessories is just unacceptable! :thumbdown:

This is my major "gripe" with the Nexus line. Go to any store and you can find something for an iProduct. It kills me that they create a device with so much potential and hamstring it with no accessories. I guess they think that an entirely open system is enough to appease the masses.
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

Quote Originally Posted by svfd757 View Post
    This is my major "gripe" with the Nexus line. Go to any store and you can find something for an iProduct. It kills me that they create a device with so much potential and hamstring it with no accessories. I guess they think that an entirely open system is enough to appease the masses.
    It's an issue of sales volume and connector standards. iStuff is made to use the same connector, which is designed with accessories in mind, for multiple generations of products that sell at higher volumes than other devices. So as accessory manufacturers are looking at making stuff, they are considering how many they can sell.

As of August:
    Apple, meanwhile, has sold a total of 85 million iPhones in the U.S. since 2007 launch and 34 million iPads since 2010.
    From what I can find, about 3 million Nexus 7s have been sold. So comparatively, the market for iStuff accessories is HUGE. On top of that, because Android devices don't have a standard for docks, accessories are only relevant as long as the device they are specifically for is relevant. For tablets, that's what... 9 months? A year? Meanwhile iStuff docks have changed only once since launch that I'm aware of, and you can still use a lot of older accessories with an adapter.

I too would like more accessories, but you can't expect anywhere near the same variety as is available for iStuff unless a standard is created for Android devices, which I don't see happening.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

ROM
    CM10

Quote Originally Posted by undertow82 View Post

Those Pogo PINs are Power, Ground and USB Audio.
    Sometime when I am alone I Google myself!!!
    MicroSD to MicroUSB Adapter - @MicroSD2MicroUS

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    It's an issue of sales volume and connector standards. iStuff is made to use the same connector, which is designed with accessories in mind, for multiple generations of products that sell at higher volumes than other devices. So as accessory manufacturers are looking at making stuff, they are considering how many they can sell.

As of August:

From what I can find, about 3 million Nexus 7s have been sold. So comparatively, the market for iStuff accessories is HUGE. On top of that, because Android devices don't have a standard for docks, accessories are only relevant as long as the device they are specifically for is relevant. For tablets, that's what... 9 months? A year? Meanwhile iStuff docks have changed only once since launch that I'm aware of, and you can still use a lot of older accessories with an adapter.

I too would like more accessories, but you can't expect anywhere near the same variety as is available for iStuff unless a standard is created for Android devices, which I don't see happening.
    This is kind of to my point. The Nexus line IS the standard of Google. They need to take a page from apple and support THEIR products with accessories. I understand that WalMart and Krogers will not carry these accesories like they do iCrap, but at least make them available....
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

I bought a cradle for my Nexus 7. Just as your reference.

I hope that since the play store and the nexus line are going great that we will starting a move by Google or at least a nod to the accessory people to get going.

Google should be working on accessories now to capitalize on the popularity of the nexus products. I hope Google starts putting out some accessories vary soon.

Somebody posted a vid of unboxing the official dock

Looks like part # Q5G. Hmmmm.....