[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

JohnRamirezTU

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Guide][NEXUS 7] UNLOCK & ROOT, FLASH RECOVERY, and MAKE BACK

Total newbie here - I appreciate the intstructions, huge help! - I'm using a mac and stuck on this step:
6. Recovery will boot up on the tab, and you will now select "install," then navigate to where you placed the super su file on the sd card and select the file to install.

I hit "install," and navigate to 'Download,' where I stashed the folder. Once there, I can see the entire folder structure of the super su file that I downloaded, but there are no files within them that I can install. I'm assuming that I missed a step when I placed the folder on my sd card, but I cannot quite figure out exactly what it is.

Moved to a PC - worked perfectly. Mac will automatically unzip the downloaded file.. that was the issue.

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Total newbie here - I appreciate the intstructions, huge help! - I'm using a mac and stuck on this step:

I hit "install," and navigate to 'Download,' where I stashed the folder. Once there, I can see the entire folder structure of the super su file that I downloaded, but there are no files within them that I can install. I'm assuming that I missed a step when I placed the folder on my sd card, but I cannot quite figure out exactly what it is.

Moved to a PC - worked perfectly. Mac will automatically unzip the downloaded file.. that was the issue.

glad it worked out - i usually find it's easier on a mac than a pc, but whatever works haha.

soviet_ric

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

thanks for this tutorial,
but.. i have question for the step "active usb debugging" .. in my nexus 7 is bootloop never gone to android just can be access fastboot mode...i tried many tutorial for to get factory default but always be failed... maybe, is cause not active usb debugging...
How to active usb debugging in Fastboot mode?? <---- if i can active usb debg. i also can unlock bootloader and can to format and flash data to my nexus 7..
thank you for attention.. thank you :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

thanks for this tutorial,
but.. i have question for the step "active usb debugging" .. in my nexus 7 is bootloop never gone to android just can be access fastboot mode...i tried many tutorial for to get factory default but always be failed... maybe, is cause not active usb debugging...
How to active usb debugging in Fastboot mode?? <---- if i can active usb debg. i also can unlock bootloader and can to format and flash data to my nexus 7..
thank you for attention.. thank you :)

You can't put usb debugging on in fastboot. It's in the settings of your tablet when it's turned on regularly.

What exactly are you stuck on?
if you're trying to go back to stock, 2defmouse's sticky in this subforum will get you there - its well written and easy to follow.

You can post in here or in there if you have any questions.

soviet_ric

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

You can't put usb debugging on in fastboot. It's in the settings of your tablet when it's turned on regularly.

What exactly are you stuck on?
if you're trying to go back to stock, 2defmouse's sticky in this subforum will get you there - its well written and easy to follow.

You can post in here or in there if you have any questions.

i tried tutorial on 2defmouse's sticky, when i want to unlock bootloader is failed.. failed when erase cache...
and in my nexus screen show the text neither usp nor cac partitions found..
i have been tried many tutorial for to return stock factory but always failed in fastboot to bootloader grouper and also when update stock jop04 to
exactly, i stuck...
thank you for you help, thank you :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

i tried tutorial on 2defmouse's sticky, when i want to unlock bootloader is failed.. failed when erase cache...
and in my nexus screen show the text neither usp nor cac partitions found..
i have been tried many tutorial for to return stock factory but always failed in fastboot to bootloader grouper and also when update stock jop04 to
exactly, i stuck...
thank you for you help, thank you :)

You might need a newer version of adb/sdk for some reason - I would try downloading the api/adb/sdktools from here:
Android SDK | Android Developers

and then trying the instructions over again. Good luck!

soviet_ric

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

You might need a newer version of adb/sdk for some reason - I would try downloading the api/adb/sdktools from here:
Android SDK | Android Developers

and then trying the instructions over again. Good luck!
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot devices
015d3248fe532a09 fastboot

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) erasing userdata...
(bootloader) erasing userdata done
(bootloader) erasing cache...
FAILED (remote: (Unknown error code))
finished. total time: 15.234s

----------
i tried to update android sdk and tried to download android platform-tools for got fastboot and adb...
and also like that... when to unlock bootloader, is failed and again, on my nexus screen show the text neither ups nor cac partitions found... and than now i can't do anything for to get stock factory..because is bootloader still locked..
T____T ... what must i do?... another plan, maybe go back to warranty is good idea...or any idea for solved my problem..
thank you :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot devices
015d3248fe532a09 fastboot

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) erasing userdata...
(bootloader) erasing userdata done
(bootloader) erasing cache...
FAILED (remote: (Unknown error code))
finished. total time: 15.234s

----------
i tried to update android sdk and tried to download android platform-tools for got fastboot and adb...
and also like that... when to unlock bootloader, is failed and again, on my nexus screen show the text neither ups nor cac partitions found... and than now i can't do anything for to get stock factory..because is bootloader still locked..
T____T ... what must i do?... another plan, maybe go back to warranty is good idea...or any idea for solved my problem..
thank you :)

Before we decide you need to see if google/manufacturer needs to replace this device, lets just go through a few things.

1. Connect to the computer and try all the different USB ports to make sure the one you're using now isn't faulty.

2. Try a different USB cable.

3. Try a different computer if you can.

if none of those works - I think you might have a faulty tablet somehow. Good luck!

soviet_ric

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Before we decide you need to see if google/manufacturer needs to replace this device, lets just go through a few things.

1. Connect to the computer and try all the different USB ports to make sure the one you're using now isn't faulty.

2. Try a different USB cable.

3. Try a different computer if you can.

if none of those works - I think you might have a faulty tablet somehow. Good luck!

same like that, just stuck.. i tried to different usb cable, different USB ports, different computer and than different OS (i tried win7, before i use win XP sp3)..but still like that..
i don't know what must i do again?...i tried nexus toolkit and fastboot commandport too.. but still same again..when i was to unlock bootloader on my screen show again the text "neither USP nor CAC partitions found" T___T
maybe i go to back warranty, i lived in indonesian...i hope asus can be good partner for this solution...
Or any idea or any same problem with me? and maybe can handle by self for this situation..
thank you for your help..thank you :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide][NEXUS 7] UNLOCK &amp; ROOT, FLASH RECOVERY, and MAKE BACK

same like that, just stuck.. i tried to different usb cable, different USB ports, different computer and than different OS (i tried win7, before i use win XP sp3)..but still like that..
i don't know what must i do again?...i tried nexus toolkit and fastboot commandport too.. but still same again..when i was to unlock bootloader on my screen show again the text "neither USP nor CAC partitions found" T___T
maybe i go to back warranty, i lived in indonesian...i hope asus can be good partner for this solution...
Or any idea or any same problem with me? and maybe can handle by self for this situation..

It sounds like there's some kind of problem - i would guess - in the hardware preventing it from responding correctly.

At this point, I would suggest contacting Asus or Google and trying to get one of them to replace it for you. I've never seen this problem before, and a google search doesn't bring anything relevant up.

You might want to read around the internet for the best way to return a device to either company and see what people have written - I've never tried it myself.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like there's some kind of problem - i would guess - in the hardware preventing it from responding correctly.

At this point, I would suggest contacting Asus or Google and trying to get one of them to replace it for you. I've never seen this problem before, and a google search doesn't bring anything relevant up.

You might want to read around the internet for the best way to return a device to either company and see what people have written - I've never tried it myself.

Good luck!

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

Thanks so much zero neck! I got my nexus 7 unlocked, rooted, installed TWRP, installed CM10.01 nightly! Way better than stock. Thanks for teaching me this invaluable information about fastboot as well. This was my first time ever using fastboot but it worked easily. Had to use ./fastboot-linux for my lubuntu machine but i guessed it out.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Thanks so much zero neck! I got my nexus 7 unlocked, rooted, installed TWRP, installed CM10.01 nightly! Way better than stock. Thanks for teaching me this invaluable information about fastboot as well. This was my first time ever using fastboot but it worked easily. Had to use ./fastboot-linux for my lubuntu machine but i guessed it out.

awesome, my pleasure.

Kraptain

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

I tried renaming the System/recover-from-boot.bak but it said that it failed. Am I supposed to add the ".p"?

bronetta

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Hi, anyone there to help? I am stuck on the recovery flash step. I flashed the recovery grouper img file and got this in Terminal, which makes me think the flash worked.

Conetta-BookPro:r3-nexus7-superboot bconetta$ ./fastboot-mac flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-grouper.img
sending 'recovery' (4 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... OKAY
Conetta-BookPro:r3-nexus7-superboot bconetta$

Then when select Recovery Mode on the device I get "Booting failed". This is my first time rooting so I'm sure i just missed something simple.

Thanks!

davidvega_r

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

If I don't have an SD CARD in the N7, is there any other option to use the ' super su' file?
I'm doing the whole process on my MAC.
Thanks!

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I tried renaming the System/recover-from-boot.bak but it said that it failed. Am I supposed to add the ".p"?
Which file navigator are you using? Shouldn't need the .p but it's worth a shot.

Hi, anyone there to help? I am stuck on the recovery flash step. I flashed the recovery grouper img file and got this in Terminal, which makes me think the flash worked.

Conetta-BookPro:r3-nexus7-superboot bconetta$ ./fastboot-mac flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.4.0-grouper.img

Then when select Recovery Mode on the device I get "Booting failed". This is my first time rooting so I'm sure i just missed something simple.

Thanks!
I would download the recovery file again, to make sure you got a good download. then, you can just flash it again until it works. It will work - sometimes things take a few tries though.

If I don't have an SD CARD in the N7, is there any other option to use the ' super su' file?
I'm doing the whole process on my MAC.
Thanks!

You don't need an sd card - the nexus has a virtual sd card - just put the file on the nexus 7 with MTP connection to your computer, and remember where you put it - that storage that comes up is the virtual sd.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

Thanks. Yes I found out that it was like that. It works very well. thank you.

np, glad you got it worked out

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Finally i can root on my linux partition!!!!!! I had to switch over to a windows partition to root my gs3, everything needed worked fine in wine, but it would not mount properly.

yum114

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm at post number 2 in this thread
FLASHING RECOVERY AND ROOTING YOUR NEXUS 7

and I can't start because my 16gb nexus 7 doesn't have an sd card slot. How do I continue???