Nexus 7 with Kindle Fire Rom

nfrisbie3

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Jeez, people. grow up. He's just asking for a home launcher. Not everyone has to live in you some Nexus hive mind of sameness. You don't need to get snotty with the guy for daring to not want pure Android on his screen.

As to the OP, the Kindle OS is really just a skin over Android 2.3. It probably won't work with any tablet natively running 4.0+. Once the new Kindle's ship using 4.0 as their base it might be possible. I'm not sure there is an existing home launcher that can currently replicate that appearance and function, but it would make a nice project for someone.

That's kinda what I figured, but thought the forums were a safe place to ask questions. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Jeez, people. grow up. He's just asking for a home launcher. Not everyone has to live in you some Nexus hive mind of sameness. You don't need to get snotty with the guy for daring to not want pure Android on his screen.

As to the OP, the Kindle OS is really just a skin over Android 2.3. It probably won't work with any tablet natively running 4.0+. Once the new Kindle's ship using 4.0 as their base it might be possible. I'm not sure there is an existing home launcher that can currently replicate that appearance and function, but it would make a nice project for someone.

Its more than a skin or launcher at this point. They have forked android, deeply integrated it and probably aren't coming back so every kindle version will get further from the main branch. That'll make it harder, but nothings impossible.

To the OP, its not a backwards idea. Its a device that's open so people can do what they want to it. But yeah it might be kinda tough to find a dev that shares your interest.

To everyone pooping on his idea, really? Cmon, Amazon did a great job with the KindleOS. It does many things better than the Nexus 7, maybe he wants the best of both worlds. Your agreement isn't required to make the idea a good one. Give him some slack.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
While the Amazon OS is more than a launcher I agree with Microzone that a launcher alone may fill the need. If Amazon released the launcher, or someone could clone it, that would be enough to give the Nexus that Kindle feel.

I was wrong about using the restore image as AZ pointed out. I'm used to using Windows which would ship with drivers and also be grossly huge and wasteful. Android is sleek, but that means being very careful with new installs as a trade off. You'd have to modify the version before installing it to include the correct hardware drivers.

kdskinner

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to run the Kindle software on my Nexus 7 but I would love to have Amazon video available on it so I could view my Amazon Prime videos without having to "steal" my wife's Kindle Fire. That would really be sweet if someone managed to hack the video player that Amazon uses to run in a unlocked rooted Nexus 7. Might as well as wish for that as I don't know how to write Java code myself...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to run the Kindle software on my Nexus 7 but I would love to have Amazon video available on it so I could view my Amazon Prime videos without having to "steal" my wife's Kindle Fire. That would really be sweet if someone managed to hack the video player that Amazon uses to run in a unlocked rooted Nexus 7. Might as well as wish for that as I don't know how to write Java code myself...

IIRC, someone's been watching them in a browser on their N7 with no problem :).

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
To each its own. I would've never thought someone would want this hehe =)
Like someone said, it's a challenge :)

gsleon3

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if its been done or asked already I'm still new to the forums but is there any way to get the Kindle Fire version of Android on the Nexus 7? I enjoy using Amazon services and have a substantial amount invested in Amazon's ecosystem. I know I can install most of the apps but I like the Fire's interface and like a lot of what Amazon introduced today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Bro, screw them all. I am a behind the scenes dev & long time moderator at xda (though I recently retired). I am with you, not so much because I like anything about the Kindle, other than VOD to supplement my Prime account.

Many people said that loading spl & rbl code into the ram of a dead kaiser was a waste of time, but that ended up with Jocky & myself fixing a hell of a lot of kaisers that were considered bricks. Don't let the naysayers affect you in any way other than to motivate you to learn & make something new. Added features from a port will go a long way with many people that own 7" tablets. If you are willing to learn & try, I'll start going through some of the code myself. Remember how many people at xda hated WebOS, yet there is a pretty recent port of it to the Galaxy Nexus. Developers don't cook roms or create apps because of what other people say or want. They do it because they want things a certain way. Sometimes it just happens to also be something that many others want as well, or it ends up being something more than everyone originally thought. Go for it man. It is not that hard to start learning the basics & anytime spent in the pursuit of knowledge & learning is never time wasted.