Pre-ordering at GameStop save you the shipping?

techno_techie

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Soo, what's another couple of days after 3 weeks? I'm wondering if I should save the shipping cost (if you don't pay it at GameStop), about $14.00, and pay Georgia sales tax, which isn't drastically cheaper. Thoughts?

I already preordered, but I can cancel easily.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Soo, what's another couple of days after 3 weeks? I'm wondering if I should save the shipping cost (if you don't pay it at GameStop), about $14.00, and pay Georgia sales tax, which isn't drastically cheaper. Thoughts?

I already preordered, but I can cancel easily.

If you're really worried about $14 then I say do it.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If you pay it 100% trade credit there is 0 taxes

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

But you've lost much more. The trade in values are extremely low. I checked and my perfect almost new Kindle Fire would get $72 for trade in. Even with 30% bonus that was $92. Sold it same day on ebay for $150 plus shipping. Even after selling fee I'm way ahead selling it myself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

techno_techie

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I sold my Kindle Fire for no listing fee on a Facebook community garage sale group for $140 cash. I purchased it for $140.00+tax (open box) and am only out $25 for the case and tax I paid.

I don't ever trade in there. I can always get better at Craigslist or on Facebook community garage sale group.

I went ahead and canceled my order. I'll purchase from GameStop, pay GA tax and no shipping. That way I can rationalize my upgrade to 16GB.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
But you've lost much more. The trade in values are extremely low. I checked and my perfect almost new Kindle Fire would get $72 for trade in. Even with 30% bonus that was $92. Sold it same day on ebay for $150 plus shipping. Even after selling fee I'm way ahead selling it myself.

I got about the same price for my ipad 2 that I traded in that they were going for online so at least in my case it was a win win because I got instant credit and don't have to deal with waiting for people to pay and then having to ship the tablet out paying more $$ out of my pocket.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Arizona and ordered directly from Google and got whacked for Sales Tax. Since I have to pay for shipping too that means it will cost me more to buy from Google than it would have been to buy from Game Stop.

My bet is the people from the great state of Gerogia will end up paying Sales Tax if they order directly from Google too.

It's kind of ironic how the online retailers have had an advantage for years (no Sales Tax) but that's slowly slipping away and now brick and morter stores are looking more attractive.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I got about the same price for my ipad 2 that I traded in that they were going for online so at least in my case it was a win win because I got instant credit and don't have to deal with waiting for people to pay and then having to ship the tablet out paying more $$ out of my pocket.

No waiting, person paid me immediately. I shipped item same day, buyer paid for shipping. For $50 difference it was worth the little effort I put into it.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
One "good" thing about apple products is their resale value. Just sold my 3rd Gen 16GB ipad on ebay for $510. I included a smart cover and a rear case, but still, more than pays for my nexus 7.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

techno_techie

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine is in! Got the text from GameStop this morning. Schweet. Gonna pick up my new, fantastic toy. I saved about $16 by canceling my play store order - I'm a teacher, so $16 is worth it. As far as I know, since it's a pre-order, I still get my $25 credit.

techno_techie

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I should add - you pay sales tax based on where the device ships from. Mine was shipping from PA, so I was charged PA sales tax. Since GA is slightly lower and I could avoid shipping, GameStop charged me GA sales tax and no shipping.

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Not in my case. My 1st gen iPad was valued at $180, ended up getting $233 for it. I only paid tax on $17, which came out to 18.50 total. If I paid the tax on the $250, I would have spent 20 bucks more so I saved another 20 bucks there too. Legit deal. Especially considering I got the iPad for $300 bucks