Should I purchase the Nexus 7?

netiseret

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I am an extremely indecisive person and am having a hard time pulling the trigger on a tablet purchase before August. I am leaning towards ordering a Nexus 7, but just keep wondering if that is the best tablet for me. I am a college student that it looking for something lightweight and portable to take to class that will allow me to take notes easily and browse the internet when I am bored.
I can't decide between the Nexus 7, waiting to see what the Fire 2 has in store, the Galaxy Tab 2, a refurb Asus Transformer, HTC Flyer or pretty much any other tablet that has decent specs and a price tag around $250.

Somebody help me, please. Any input is greatly appreciated.

andyl66

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Id go for the nexus 7, you can still put amazon kindle and app store on it. It'll run tegra games and is a good size. Oh and the price is good too.

No tablet is that great for note taking unless you also buy a bt keyboard. On screen typing sucks.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: netiseret

famousstarchriss

#instaflash
May 22, 2012
Visit site
I am also an indecisive person. I went through a few tablets already. Old Accer Tablet, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" 2, and now I just ordered the Nexus7. For what you're doing any tablet will be fine but for the price on the Nexus7 you can't complain and it's definitely a great tablet.

netiseret

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I am also an indecisive person. I went through a few tablets already. Old Accer Tablet, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" 2, and now I just ordered the Nexus7. For what you're doing any tablet will be fine but for the price on the Nexus7 you can't complain and it's definitely a great tablet.

How did you like the Galaxy Tab 2 7"? If you don't like it, how come (if you don't mind me asking)?

Also, I was planning on using a keyboard to take notes. Part of my concern is that the Nexus 7 doesn't have an micro SD slot or a rear facing camera, two things I could see myself down the road being upset about yet they aren't a deal breaker....I am a confused person.

RawrDuy

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I found having a tablet (especially one this small) for note-taking to be very difficult and cumbersome. I would invest it a small laptop for note-taking/browsing and for the nexus 7 to be a complimentary device for studying and quicker access to files and such.

netiseret

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I found having a tablet (especially one this small) for note-taking to be very difficult and cumbersome. I would invest it a small laptop for note-taking/browsing and for the nexus 7 to be a complimentary device for studying and quicker access to files and such.

That would be ideal but I have a very small budget to work with :/ and considering I have a decent laptop I figured a tablet would be the way to go since I can add on the keyboard when I need to, bring it with my wherever in my purse or backpack and would be the supplement to my normal laptop.

famousstarchriss

#instaflash
May 22, 2012
Visit site
How did you like the Galaxy Tab 2 7"? If you don't like it, how come (if you don't mind me asking)?

Also, I was planning on using a keyboard to take notes. Part of my concern is that the Nexus 7 doesn't have an micro SD slot or a rear facing camera, two things I could see myself down the road being upset about yet they aren't a deal breaker....I am a confused person.

I liked my Galaxy Tab 2 until I sold it and got myself a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone :) I got myself a N7 is because like everybody else, we just want to have it lol! I figure its a toy for me to root(to have fun), maybe have my fiance read her books on my N7(instead of her kindle)and see how jellybean works etc. Then again, it's just another tool for me to use for my wedding photography business. Maybe those mini laptops($200-$300) will do you better especially for school :)

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When I was in college. I took notes on my iPod and would email them to.myself and print them. And that was a small screen. With a budget. The nexus 7 is the best way to go.

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I won't be getting the Nexus 7,but only because I have a Samsung Galaxy 2. I got that when it came out and have never even considered returning it. I use the Galaxy 2 every day while on the road. The GPS chip set means I have a fully functional GPS unit with a 7 inch screen, I use Navfree USA as the navigation app, I have Docs to go for office work, EZ PDF Reader for marking up pdf files, add in Drop Box and Ever note and I can function as the road warrior I am. By the way my Android phone acts as a mobile hot spot so I can get anything I might need from the office. The only difference between the Galaxy 2 and the Nexus 7 would seem to be the lack of a sd/micro sd card in the Nexus. The 7 inch form factor means that the device fits on the dash without obstructing the view, so it functions as an almost perfect mobile device. My advice for anyone considering purchasing a tablet is to take a moment and figure out what you want to use it for. 10 inch for multimedia files like movies, and the 7 inch for use on the road in the car. Just my thoughts on the subject.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Have you ever watched someone taking a picture with a tablet? Believe me, use your phone camera or just carry a camera, LOL. And the thing about the microSD is moot. USB-OTG will address external device issues, including storage.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm a touch typist so I'm really slow at typing on a on screen keyboard unless I have a 10" screen. So you'd definitely need to get a Bluetooth keyboard if you want to use a tablet for taking notes. I'd also recommend using an app like Evernote which is great for organizing notes. I use it all the time, and you can run it on your Windows or Mac machine, smartphone, and tablet. Also, you can sync your data between the multiple devices and platforms and access it from the web in a web browser. I also use an app called WiFi Explorer Pro which allows me to wirelessly transfer files between my tablets and my Mac/PC using a web browser. it's a great way to transfer files without having to connect your tablet to your computer. So, that might help you offload files from a tablet on your PC to save on storage space.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Android Central Forums

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a BT keyboard for my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and if you type fast, BT is not the way to go. Like others have said, I think note taking on a tablet would be a chore. Tablets of any size are best for consumption. I dont do much real work on my tablet at all. My preferred device is still my thinkpad and I have a netbook for lighter work. Im certainly no college student, but I still think a note pad and paper are a good route for note taking, and then immediately (ie the same day) reinforce what you wrote by transcribing your notes into your laptop. Call me old, crazy or both!

Good luck with your decision. Personally I think they are all good decisions except the Fire. I had the Fire for a day, but lack of access to the Google services made is a quick non starter for me.

Ultimately, only you can decide what is the BEST device for you. All our needs are different, so there will never be a BEST device.

famousstarchriss

#instaflash
May 22, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever watched someone taking a picture with a tablet? Believe me, use your phone camera or just carry a camera, LOL. And the thing about the microSD is moot. USB-OTG will address external device issues, including storage.

You know whats funny... I have! lol! I'm like WTF! When it comes to pictures, I have my DSLR or my compact Canon S95. I only use my phone camera for instagram/facebook/etc or just quick snaps haha!

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Well this will be my first tablet as well so i can't give too much advice. Except if you are going to go with a 16GB i'd order it ASAP or make sure you go to a local store.

Google's page says 3 - 4 weeks again so that's well into mid august.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana