Home screen doesn't rotate.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So I did some reading around. And it seems that the home screen on the nexus 7 does not rotate at all while on the home screen. And to be honest I am a little confused with googles plans for tablet design. Are they still going to be using the old tablet layout with the app drawer and search bar on the top left and tops right corners of the screen, or will they be using the phone layout from now on? And why the non rotating home screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Because it comes out, initially with phone mode. To get tablet mode you will need to root the device.

But that will change once this goes to pure consumer. The Google IO and this pre-release sale are for us techno-geeks that gots to has it! LOL.

The development community and the forum communities will help Google make this a great consumer item.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes I understand that but for the regular consumer . Is the homescreen going to be locked like that or was this just a pre release thing.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes I understand that but for the regular consumer . Is the homescreen going to be locked like that or was this just a pre release thing.

I'm not sure what Google was thinking on this. Almost everything I've read from anyone are puzzled about it. But Google, since it controls this and has no carrier interference, will probably get this fixed quickly, at least allowing an option.

Perhaps they were looking at Kindle Fire and the Nook, which also don't have home screen rotation (at least they didn't at first. Might now, haven't checked 'em out in a while)

IMO

quinnsdaddy11

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Both the Kindle Fire and the Nook Color do not allow for rotation on the home screen. So Google is not a pioneer in this field. Google knows what is best for their layout and holding it sideways is not a big deal. Once you open an app that requires you hold it horizontally then the option will be available to you.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Both the Kindle Fire and the Nook Color do not allow for rotation on the home screen. So Google is not a pioneer in this field. Google knows what is best for their layout and holding it sideways is not a big deal. Once you open an app that requires you hold it horizontally then the option will be available to you.

That's curious, I always felt that landscape mode was holding it sideways.

Funny about different perspectives, isn't it?

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I read that some of the font rendering on JellyBean is not ready for Prime Time and Google did not want their premier product to look crappy on first impression.

This makes sense, since the hack involves BSing the Nexus into thinking the screen size is larger which apparently, "permits" the switch to landscape.

Reportedly when JellyBean is fixed, the auto-landscape rotation will likely be included in an update.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I read that some of the font rendering on JellyBean is not ready for Prime Time and Google did not want their premier product to look crappy on first impression.<br />
<br />
This makes sense, since the hack involves BSing the Nexus into thinking the screen size is larger which apparently, "permits" the switch to landscape.<br />
<br />
Reportedly when JellyBean is fixed, the auto-landscape rotation will likely be included in an update.

Interesting I guess we will wait and see . I guess a good answer is to wait and see what happens with the Motorola xoom and how jelly bean will work with it

seanmten

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I believe this was a conscious decision to keep it simple. Think of all of the people who are coming from iStuffs that need everything as simple as possible. And all of the people buying this as an e-reader who have never toed into android. A flipping home screen along with randomly resizing widgets could be disorienting enough for their first impression to be poor. And Google doesn't need that for their first large scale consumer release. They need huge adoption and positive opinions to get developers on board.

However all of us will be able to change this at some point through our android hackery :D

Just my opinion. Keep it simple for the masses, allow changes for the nerds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Also thinking about it I'm sure nova launcher will be updated for jellybean and that could fix the issue

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Also thinking about it I'm sure nova launcher will be updated for jellybean and that could fix the issue

There's already a downloadable beta that works with JB, so this really won't be an issue if you download a third party launcher (which will be my plan anyways since it offers much more). From what I've tested on the GNex, the latest Nova beta is just as "buttery" as the stock launcher.

alkthree87

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually not a fan of the tablet layout, being so used to a phone, so I actually prefer the more "Nexus" style design. I for one won't be changing, but I will probably add a pure rotation fix when someone, or Google, releases it.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

That's funny cause I just unlocked the "rotation" item in the top bar menu on the Kindle Fire and turned my wife's Kindle Fire sideways. It rotated :)

jmoore122195

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I know it isn't really a big deal, this feature didn't prevent me from pre ordering it, but hopefully an update will make it rotate on the homescreen because I like to hold my tablet in landscape mode generally

shn'g

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I know it isn't really a big deal, this feature didn't prevent me from pre ordering it, but hopefully an update will make it rotate on the homescreen because I like to hold my tablet in landscape mode generally

yeah same for me.. you use most apps in landscape so why wouldn't it allow you to start out on the home screen in landscape. not a big deal for now but i really hope there is an official update eventually.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I wish there was a way to lock the home screen on the Kindle without locking all the apps. I hope the Nexus retains the home screen lock at least as an option.

My concern is the widgets and layout. If I set the screen up and have it how I want it, I don't want the device to switch screen modes and have to try and figure out it's own way of moving things. Especially when it starts moving the controls I need to get to.