Question Android Home Screen Move an App Folder into Another App Folder

cdmcmillon

Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have tried Google, various forums, the play store, etc. I cannot find a solution to this, but can't believe it has never been asked before and that there isn't a way.

I know you can create app folders both on your home screen and in the app drawer. But, can you create a Sub-folder? I want to be able to put an app folder in another app folder.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have tried Google, various forums, the play store, etc. I cannot find a solution to this, but can't believe it has never been asked before and that there isn't a way.

I know you can create app folders both on your home screen and in the app drawer. But, can you create a Sub-folder? I want to be able to put an app folder in another app folder.
Not that I know of, unless there's a 3rd part launcher or app that does so.
In the past, I've just put the main (first) folder at the top of an additional screen - with the related 'subfolders' stacked directly below the first folder.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As far as I know, there's no stock launcher that can do this. Maybe there's an obscure 3rd party launcher that can do this, but I've never heard of one.

Reactions: winmod21

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

It can be done with Nova Launcher (this is only for the home screen, not the app drawer).

Create a folder and drag it on to your home screen or whichever screen you're using (you can create several with Nova). Importantly, in Nova settings you need to go Home screen>Advanced>Overlap when placing (tick this).

Next create a second folder, drag it on to your home screen and place on top of the existing folder and it will "disappear" inside. You can do this with additional folders but believe me it's too much faff to separate them.

To separate the two folders press and hold on the facing folder, drag to one side and then both folders will be shown.

I don't know whether the "Overlap when placing" option is included in the Nova free version, though, or in the Prime paid version which I've been using for 11 years. This was my first - and BEST - paid for app.
It can be done with Nova Launcher (this is only for the home screen, not the app drawer).

Create a folder and drag it on to your home screen or whichever screen you're using (you can create several with Nova). Importantly, in Nova settings you need to go Home screen>Advanced>Overlap when placing (tick this).

Next create a second folder, drag it on to your home screen and place on top of the existing folder and it will "disappear" inside. You can do this with additional folders but believe me it's too much faff to separate them.

To separate the two folders press and hold on the facing folder, drag to one side and then both folders will be shown.

I don't know whether the "Overlap when placing" option is included in the Nova free version, though, or in the Prime paid version which I've been using for 11 years. This was my first - and BEST - paid for app!!

I don't know whether the "Overlap when placing" option is included in the Nova free version, though, or in the Prime paid version which I've been using for 11 years. This was my first - and BEST - paid for app!!

EDIT: Have to dash out but you WILL need Prime.

SECOND EDIT: Now the "emergency" is over I'll explain as I've since uninstalled Prime to reacquaint myself with the free version (hard work!)

If you want to create folders in the app drawer you WILL need Prime, otherwise you can create a folder with sub-folder/s just on the home screen.

Drag an app on to the home screen from the app drawer and as before drag and place additional apps on top to create a folder. Create a second folder as above and when you're done, again drag and place this folder on top of the first. To separate the two folders press, hold and drag to one side.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29