drops my home network & starts a new one

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I have had several instances where my N7 and my phone have "dropped" my home network and then made up it's own to connect to. It still shows my home network as "remembered" but out of range and then it connects with a network it apparently makes up itself. My home computer can be within a few inches of my devices or in my house, I can go away and come home and no matter what this occasionally occurs. What's up w/that and how do I stop it from happening?

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
It would seem that some manner of ad hoc network is being created on the fly.

Do you have any tethering apps or the like installed on a device?

(Shot in the dark, perhaps, but it might make sense.)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It would seem that some manner of ad hoc network is being created on the fly.

Do you have any tethering apps or the like installed on a device?

(Shot in the dark, perhaps, but it might make sense.)

Yes, Foxfi and PDAnet. I use them to get bluetooth since I can't get a real wifi connection when outside my home network. Well, I maybe can somewhere else but I don't go much anywhere outside my house. But what you're staying makes sense because this started happening after I installed these apps. Your shot in the dark is prolly right. Thank you!

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I understand that Foxfi is a highly recommended app, but I am reading reports of users having trouble with its ad hoc network causing problems. I lack firsthand experience in re: this particular set of circumstances, but it might do to troubleshoot them.

Were you having these problems before you installed the tethering apps, or did this all start more recently?

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that'd be it.

If you were looking at converting over to the Share Everything (as per the other thread where we conversed), you might as well just do that as soon as you can and then you can use Verizon's "official" hotspot function and uninstall FoxFi and PDANet.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup, that'd be it.

If you were looking at converting over to the Share Everything (as per the other thread where we conversed), you might as well just do that as soon as you can and then you can use Verizon's "official" hotspot function and uninstall FoxFi and PDANet.

I was just over on their site attempting to do this however when I got to the end it look like I was going to have a really big bill for my next bill if I back- date so I'm going to wait until my cut off date on august third or fourth I'll have to double check with the exact date is. It's not that I'm over on anything but when you back date it's like you get charged double because they charge you for last month and next month and I'm trying to getting screwed doing that.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
These carriers are criminals. I am sorry for the hyperbole, but it has to be said.

No apology required. Verizon should be so grateful to see a customer giving up an unlimited plan and agreeing to Share Everything that they should offer her a month of free service.

But, of course, they'll act like they are doing HER a favor and collect every penny they can.

That's the way it works when you don't have any meaningful competition. Around here, it's Big Red or the Death Star (AT&T), and they're so close to being in lockstep in terms of fleecing the consumer it ain't funny.

But no one else has anything close to meaningful coverage around here, so it's really a matter of choosing the red Vaseline or the blue.

dotism

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I understand. I only have ONE broadband ISP in my neighborhood, a total monopoly with prices per services to match.

So I went WiMAX. And it works. Not perfectly, not quickly, but it works. And it is cheap and I get excellent customer service.

I am lucky to have T-Mobile I am quickly beginning to learn. In all transparency, your conundrum caused me to research my carrier as compared to others and I have discovered that I am something of a lucky duck. T-Mobile seems to be using their underdog status to their customers' advantage... Hence 'WiFi Tethering' being a checkbox in my near-free Gingerbread phone running on the most basic of plans.

This whole thing has me learning, actually. I hate that it is at your expense, but I hope to learn enough to be more helpful in the future :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress