Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Default Re: must have apps??

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post
    I'm not a fan of Swype. I try it out about once every 6 months to see how it has progressed since the last time I used it and it's just not for me.

Count me in towards another recommendation of SwiftKey, however - SwiftKey 3 for phones (NOT the tablet version). It looks great on the Nexus 7, performs exactly like you know and love on your phone and best of all... no tablet layout weirdness.
    Have you tried Swype Beta or only the base Swype?

Thumb keyboard is my keyboard of choice. Didn't see it mentioned here. The layout is exactly what I want it to be for thumb typing in portrait mode and landscape. Customizations are endless. Needs to make better corrections though. Won't separate something like "thisnweek."

TabletTalk - sync sms between phone and tablet

Imo.im - messenger service aim/msn/facebook/steam/etc

Osmos HD - great game

Moon+ reader - best ereader app IMO

vplayer - my media player of choice. Has played everything I've thrown at it and is the only
    one I have tried that hides the softkeys

LMT - Not in the play store, can find on XDA. It opens up a pie menu just like the stock
    browser can. In the pie you can have any softkey action, plus many other options.
    Allows me to hold the device on the sides and not move my hand to the bottom to
    go home, or back, or search

ColorNote - Make post-it like note widgets that can sync between devices. Quick and easy
    editing. Has list ability. Really enjoy it.

Perfect Viewer - Current comic reading app of choice. Not sure if its the best, I am open to
    suggestions. Not that there is anything in particular I find wrong with this
    app, just not confident it couldn't be done better. If such an app exists.
    Last edited by hippocat; 08-02-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,519 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I prefer thumb keyboard on mY tablets also.
    Quote Originally Posted by hippocat View Post
    Thumb keyboard is my keyboard of choice. Didn't see it mentioned here. The layout is exactly what I want it to be for thumb typing in portrait mode and landscape. Customizations are endless.

TabletTalk - sync sms between phone and tablet

Imo.im - messenger service aim/msn/facebook/steam/etc

Osmos HD - great game

Moon+ reader - best ereader app IMO

vplayer - my media player of choice. Has played everything I've thrown at it and is the only
    one I have tried that hides the softkeys

LMT - Not in the play store, can find on XDA. It opens up a pie menu just like the stock
    browser can. In the pie you can have any softkey action, plus many other options.
    Allows me to hold the device on the sides and not move my hand to the bottom to
    go home, or back, or search

ColorNote - Make post-it like note widgets that can sync between devices. Quick and easy
    editing. Has list ability. Really enjoy it.

Perfect Viewer - Current comic reading app of choice. Not sure if its the best, I am open to
    suggestions. Not that there is anything in particular I find wrong with this
    app, just not confident it couldn't be done better. If such an app exists.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
    vailmc likes this.

ROM
    BOBZ CM9

Need I say more, this is best app ever:thumbdown:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelV View Post

Flashlight (by Devesh Parekh)

Tiny Flashlight + LED.
    Don't you need a flash for those?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    -There's plenty of room for all God's creatures... right beside the baked potato....

Quote Originally Posted by skeeve View Post
    Hi there, would you mind elaborating a bit on your setup with these two controllers?
    Do you need an app for the Xbox controller?
    Are you rooted/do you need to be?
    What kinds of setup do you do to make the controllers work with various apps?
    Have you tested with emulators?
    Anything else you can say about the experience?

I recently purchased a wiimote classic controller specifically for emulators but I would very much like a more well-rounded solution.

Thanks!
    I should clarify a little bit. I have only used a PS3 controller (wirelessly) on my N7, but I have not used a USB Xbox 360 controller yet, since I don't have the OTG cable.

I'm still a bit new to this, but I do have a lot of info for you, first, I don't think you need to be rooted to connect a PS3 controller with USB. But you DO need to be rooted to connect via bluetooth. PS3 controller via USB is in my opinion a pain because the cable can unplug at two locations, so wireless is by far better.

Yes you can set up the PS3 controller to work with almost all games, or apps or any menu. But some games and apps work better for controller than others. I don't have any emulators yet on my N7, but everyone says that they work with controllers, and if they don't, dump it for an emulator that does. The experience is very good, I am extremely pleased with the sixaxis app, it's only $2 and well worth it. Look below for more info.

So you plug the 360 controller into the USB OTG adapter and plug that into your N7 and then... it just works?
    • Do you have to configure key-maps for anything (native games/emulators)?
    • Does android recognize the controller as a keyboard?
    • Do you use an app to interface with it?
    • How do the joysticks work? Do they just map to up-down-left-right or can you use them to simulate screen touches?
    To my knowledge, the 360 is natively supported in Android 4.0+, yes you just plug it in and it 'just works'. Games that support controllers will either 1) automatically switch to controller support or 2) have an option to select gamepad controls.

I believe the sixaxis app emulates the native 360 controller features, the Android device thinks it's being connected to a 360 controller, but you're using PS3 over bluetooth. The Android device does not recognize it as a keyboard, but as an actual controller.

The Sixaxis app is very versatile, you can map any button or D-pad or analog stick to a touchscreen button press or as a swiping feature. Even games that do not have controller support (like Roboto) you can make it work perfectly with Sixaxis/DualShock 3 controller. Here is a screenshot that should help explain:

Roboto is a basic game, you move left or right and you can jump and shoot. As you can see the PS3 D-pad, square and cross buttons are 'interacting' with the touchscreen where the virtual buttons are. There is no noticeable lag when playing like this. The moment I press is the moment the action occurs on screen.

You can make a very large number of games work like this, especially those annoying 3D touchscreen analog sticks (that suck--no fun!) with this app. But not everything will work, especially racing games. Apparently the app can not emulate tilt controls to the analog sticks, so you can't play Need For Speed on your controller. I have no idea if this support will be added or not in the future.

Overall, if you want to use SA/DS3 on Android, BUY THIS APP!

Quote Originally Posted by yankswinagain View Post
    Don't you need a flash for those?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I use the flashlight app on my N7. It uses the main screen as a single big white screen of light. It definitely works well, but obviously drains battery out the wazoo.
    Thanked by 2:

Thank you so so so so much. That information about the SA/DS3 is suuuuper helpful. I don't have either controller but I may pick one up after your review. (I think I might have a wired 360 controller I can play with and try first though...).

This is totally the wrong forum to be asking about this, but when you root your N7 to enable the PS3 controller setup you have, does this have any effect on your ability to receive OTA updates or anything like that? I'm assuming you'd unroot to update and then reroot or something? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dotism View Post
    Tablet Talk (if you have an Android phone) is a must have.

I love Pocket and Flipboard.

I agree with SwiftKey X for Tablet... Landscape mode is nuts.

There is an xkcd app, if you're into that. It remains on my home screen.

BeyondPod is my favorite pod catcher, I've been using D7 for RSS (and looking for alternatives... hint, hint).

Get a file browser, I use AndroZip.

Lookout scans installs for problems, most other features touted are likely insincere, however, due to Android's sandboxing stuff.

I use Flick Note for syncing with Simplenote. It is a great app: simple, full-featured.

Perhaps that is about it for the moment... And I do mean 'moment'

I use Nova for a launcher after using alternatives (I still use ADW on the phone). I love Nova on the Nexus 7.

Mocha VNC has been my desktop sharing go-to... I'm still having trouble with copying and pasting between desktops, however.
    Thanks to this thread, i had no idea about Tablet Talk.
    If you have an android phone accompanied with the N7, Tablet Talk is a must have.
    Think a nice Office Suite App would also be a must have. But that would be just me.

Great thread so far, lots of app's I didn't know about! Checking out Tablet Talk right now, looks great...can't wait to give it a try when I get home.

Thank you so so so so much. That information about the SA/DS3 is suuuuper helpful. I don't have either controller but I may pick one up after your review. (I think I might have a wired 360 controller I can play with and try first though...).

This is totally the wrong forum to be asking about this, but when you root your N7 to enable the PS3 controller setup you have, does this have any effect on your ability to receive OTA updates or anything like that? I'm assuming you'd unroot to update and then reroot or something? Thanks!
    You're welcome, I'm sure a lot of others needed that info as well.

As for rooting, here's how it works (I believe--someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Step 1: You need to unlock the bootloader (this is mandatory) and it will WIPE your entire N7 device, 100% wiped clean.

Step 2: You root the device (nothing is wiped) and you still have the ability to accept Google-certified OTA updates.

Optional Step 3: You can add permanent CWM and this will change the recovery files so that Google OTA will not work (I have not done this step since I want Google OTA updates). Though you can switch back to stock recovery before OTA then accept OTA then go back to CWM recovery no problem (I just don't want to deal with that hassle).

Note that rooted devices can not rent movies from Google Play but I'm not sure if they can buy movies or not. Someone else can answer that one.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hippocat View Post
    vplayer - my media player of choice. Has played everything I've thrown at it and is the only one I have tried that hides the softkeys
    I took a quick look at vplayer. It hides the softkeys but it still has the dead space on the top and bottom. MX Player gets rid of the space on top but still has it on the bottom.

Oh man, 100% wipe? I've already installed a TON of stuff I'd rather not have to go through all that again :/

Once again, I seriously appreciate all the advice and explanation.

Cheers! That's a big help as well

I'll have to look into tablet talk. One app I use a lot on my phone is OI Shopping. Probably won't go on the N7 because that hasn't even left the house yet. lol

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Hope some of this info helps.

Games

Asphalt 7
    They need to be fed
    Whale trail
    Edge Ex
    R-Type
    Sky force
    Jazz
    Abyss attack
    Alpha quadrant

Random apps

Touch screen booster
    Nova launcher
    WiFi finder
    WiFi analyzer
    No lock
    Ak notepad
    Dead pixel test
    Pattrn
    Stitcher

Quote Originally Posted by xyzlene View Post
    Hope some of this info helps.

<Snip>

WiFi analyzer

<Snip>
    It works fine for me (running V3.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzoth View Post
    I did a little Nexus 7 Starter Guide for apps:

You can also find more apps in the rankings (tablet filter).
    Disagree!!!!! :P

Widgets? HD Widgets. The variety is much better and they look better too.
    News and blogs - Pulse News

not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but the GO launcher is a free and neat alternative to the apex and/or nova launchers. has a bunch of useful downloadable widgets too

takes a bit to learn all it's functions, but it's been working fairly well for me after half a day of getting used to it

Just installed apex to rid myself of the 'sticky screen' scrolling. Does the trick unlike Nova. I'd prefer not to add a launcher but this stubborn screen scrolling was beginning to bug me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ref MiguelV on page 2....

Agreed, however, the Swype installer isn't working with 4.2 yet. What to do, what to do? Currently making do with gesture typing on the stock 4.2 keyboard.

ROM
    stock

For me:

Aquarium Live Wallpaper: Seriously, when I saw this on TWiT TV that made me wanna check out and Android device no joke.
    Androbench: See how fast or slow your N7 is.
    Battery Widget: Just for the icon in the top bar to see percentage of battery life left.
    HD Widgets: Nuff Said
    Nova Launcher: Everything Google should have included in JB. I had landscape mode weeks before Google got around to it. Being able to add multiple shortcuts/apps in folders with a few touches is just so cool. Seriously, Nova launcher is a MUST.
    Solid Explorer: Beautiful file explorer.
    ChordBot: For those of us who are musicians, this is a great app. I will come up with a riff and import the MIDI file into Ableton or Reason and jam. Great app.
    Easy Voice Recorder: Simple voice recorder.
    Flashlight: Its amazing how simple but yet very helpful tool this can be.
    Knots 3d: Im seriously stupid when it comes to tying knots. Was actually fired from a temp job because I could barely tie proper knots.
    Smart Tools: Absolute must. Compass, level, decibel meter (wonder how accurate the N7 mic really is), magnetometer etc. Awesome buy.
    Torque: Bought the full version along with a $20 OBD2II adapter. A must for any car geek. Helps me diagnose and clear codes.
    Flipboard: Even though it doesnt seem optimized for tablets, its still pretty damn awesome.
    gReader Pro: A must for anyone who is an RSS addict like me.
    Speedtest: Test your wifi speed on the N7. Not optimized for tablets, but its stupidly simple to use.
    Wifi Analyzer: A must for testing wifi.
    CoPilot Live: I got the $15 version I think. Anyway a must for GPS. Pretty much the killer app that got me to buy the Nexus.
    GPS Essentials: Its essential? Yeah, yeah it is.
    GPS Status: Fun to use, why not.
    HBO Go: For those of us with qualified setups, nice to have. Really really slick interface, are you listening Netflix?
    Netflix: Nuff said.
    Angry Birds: Pretty much a requirement on any mobile device.
    Beach Buggy Blitz: Basically Jetpack Joyride on wheels.
    Dead Trigger: Killer game app for the N7. The graphics are seriously awesome. Wouldnt mind playing this on my PC.
    GTA3: Just amazing this can be played on a 7" tablet.
    Max Payne: Just amazing this can be played on a 7" tablet, seriously how spoiled are we. Anyway MP runs and looks great on the N7 (MAKE SURE YOU ENABLE HIRES TEXTURES). It plays great too, much easier than the PC version.
    Real Racing 2; Very neat racing game.
    RipTide: Makers of Beach Buggy Blitz, great graphics. Just needs more tracks.
    ShadowGun: Not as sgood as dead trigger. Just make sure you get the tegra3 version.

Co-Pilot will turn your N7 into a 7" GPS w/o needing Wi/Fi. Just download N. American maps.

HD Widgets
    Slacker Radio $3.99 a month and cache as many stations as your SD card will hold.
    Pandora Radio
    Equalizer Pro
    SD Maid Pro
    Pulse
    Carat
    Safe in Cloud
    Can't believe Nova didn't make my list.
    Fiio E06 - Sorry, but without her my music apps would suck! Amazon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123