anyone succeeded with reverse tether and Nexus 7?

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've rooted my Nexus 7 tablet and I believe it was successful. (Newbie here)
Downloaded the free "USB Reverse Tether" app from Google Play. The error I get when running the tether app: "Sorry, unable to get the system settings of your device."
In my apps I have the "SuperSU" app. If I open that it has "USB Reverse Tether" listed. Open that and the settings saved are "Access: Grant" and "Notifications: Global default".
The pc I'm trying to connect to is Windows 7.
Has anyone got reverse tethering working in Nexus 7?
One possible problem could be the app "Perfect AppLock!" that I installed. It stopped functioning so I can't see its settings to see if it's trying to lock the reverse tether program.

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Good to know! There's no wifi access at work, hence my desire to piggy-back on my lan-connected desktop. And throwing up a wifi hotspot at the office would put me in a world of trouble. Guess I can't use my tablet at work - (sigh). Thanks for responding!

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you try a USB WiFi dongle? or bluetooth dongle? both could be used to get internet from your desktop.

slashy42

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in finding a non WiFi solution for work as well. WiFi is a big nono at my employer to the point that one of the I.t. guys goes around with a sniffer telling people to turn them off.

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as slashy42. But in my case its potential grounds for termination. The company has someone periodically and unannounced going around "sniffing" the air waves.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I remember a post/thread that talked about connecting the Nexus 7 via USB to a modem, and that it worked out of the box. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my Nexus 7

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you have an active IT department blocking leechs from their network you will not be able to get internet access for your device. If they are incompetent maybe but MAC filtering is easy to setup.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I remember a post/thread that talked about connecting the Nexus 7 via USB to a modem, and that it worked out of the box. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my Nexus 7

I have not tried going straight into a modem via USB but using the stock USB cable will not let you share your internet through a desktop computer.

EDIT: I assume they did not use an OTG cable since you said "out of the box"

Last edited:

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I assumed the usb tethering would act like a NAT connection. In which case IT would see your traffic but your device would share the IP. Does the tether provide the device with direct access? So that it would have to obtain an IP? Maybe I'm getting off topic...

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I assumed the usb tethering would act like a NAT connection. In which case IT would see your traffic but your device would share the IP. Does the tether provide the device with direct access? So that it would have to obtain an IP? Maybe I'm getting off topic...

Your Nexus7 MAC will not be in the allowed list so no traffic.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've rooted my Nexus 7 tablet and I believe it was successful. (Newbie here)
Downloaded the free "USB Reverse Tether" app from Google Play. The error I get when running the tether app: "Sorry, unable to get the system settings of your device."
In my apps I have the "SuperSU" app. If I open that it has "USB Reverse Tether" listed. Open that and the settings saved are "Access: Grant" and "Notifications: Global default".
The pc I'm trying to connect to is Windows 7.
Has anyone got reverse tethering working in Nexus 7?
One possible problem could be the app "Perfect AppLock!" that I installed. It stopped functioning so I can't see its settings to see if it's trying to lock the reverse tether program.

I assume you have an android phone? If so buy a WiFi tethering plan from your provider, or use a program like FoxFi on your phone. I have done both.

More than likely wide open access to the internet is blocked at work and you won't be able to meke it work any way.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you had a BlackBerry and a PlayBook, you could just use the bridge and share the BB's data plan. :)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think he has anything other than his Nexus 7 and a work computer. Only reason he even attempted reverse tethering.

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an unlocked sony ericsson xperia ray with a cheap data plan and AT&T's sucky go phone plan. Maybe I can't finagle something with that. Sorry for the sporadic posts. I keep getting called away.

shafferb

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Why do you need to connect your N7 so desperately while at work, when you know that doing so violates company policy and may cost you your job, and show up forever in your personnel records as "refusal to comply with and attempts to circumvent
company network use and security protocols" ?

Are you nuts ?

And can we assume that "I keep getting called away" means that someone expects you to be doing your job while at work instead of geeking out on these Forums?

And....."skippy" ? Dear God!

lens pirate

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
There is a software router called connectify that can be install on your PC. This is assuming your IT staff are s and you guys have admin level access to your work PC's and can run installs. Add a usb wireless nic to your PC and set it up to not broadcast a SID and set up WPA2 security. That should work. But again this is assuming your IT staff sucks and are not serious about security.

skippyV

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Why do you need to connect your N7 so desperately while at work, when you know that doing so violates company policy and may cost you your job, and show up forever in your personnel records as "refusal to comply with and attempts to circumvent
company network use and security protocols" ?

Are you nuts ?

And can we assume that "I keep getting called away" means that someone expects you to be doing your job while at work instead of geeking out on these Forums?

And....."skippy" ? Dear God!

Sorry, Mom!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non