Nexus 7 tablet has poor build quality.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Don't believe me? Do a search for "Asus quality control" or something similar. You'll find forums full of dissatisfied Transformer and Zenbook owners.

That is the absolute WORST way to measure quality of a product. Do that with any product, and you're going to find many more complaints than compliments, for the exact reason dlcramer said a few posts up: "A person that is happy tells their friends. A person upset tells the world."

I just Googled "Apple Quality Control", and here are some top results:

"Apple lacking quality control after Steve Jobs' death, says ex-employee"
Apple lacking quality control after Steve Jobs' death, says ex-employee : Tech Digest

"Apple?s five worst quality control failures"
Apple's five worst quality control failures

This one's especially relevant since you mentioned forum complaints:
"What has happend to Apple's quality control?"
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4021393?start=0&tstart=0

I always percieved Apple products to be well manufactured and client service to be first class. I purchased an iPad2 for my father; this turned out to be dead on arrival. Applecare replaced this with a second defective iPad. Number three has just arrived and is scratched and dented. This has all happened in the month since purchase.

If you go looking for complainers you'll find them. It doesn't tell you ANYTHING about the actual frequency of problems. Asus actually has a very decent reputation for quality at their price point. That said, cheaper products do tend to be more prone to problems, and the Nexus 7 is made at a cheap price point.

I'm not trying to dismiss the problems you've had, but a person can't take forum complaints as evidence of a consistent problem. On top of that, the device has hardly even been out, so many of the reported problems could very well be worked out soon, if not already. In the automotive world it's often wise to avoid the first model year of a new vehicle. That timeframe of working out the details is (and should be) much shorter with electronics, but devices still tend to have early problems. The N7 has been out, what, 6 weeks? Perhaps you could try again in a month. Then again, some of the complaints we've seen in this thread have been related more to screen technology than actual defects. Not sure if some of your complaints are in that category. Mine has a beautiful display, but I don't have it under a microscope, because I'm not looking for something to complain about.

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I think for the price of this tablet, you get what you pay for. That includes possible build quality inconsistency. I also think tech nuts and even some general consumers have unreasonable expectations.

I can't help but to laugh at the complaints I see about screen lift and light bleed. Some dude really RMA'd this thing 7 times? Come on, who's the fool here? I can attest to the lift issue, and you know what? Who gives a ? If you dont like the quality, return it. And while your at it, delete your forum account as well. No one cares. Im sure im not the only one that is sick of these people who will find something to complain about no matter what. Theres one of these threads in every subforum i read. This device kicks ass in so many ways, but people will always find something to complain about.

The internet was better when commoners didn't know how to use it.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
What cracks me up are the people who hadn't noticed any lift or light bleed until someone here told them how to find it. If a problem is so insignificant that someone has to help you realize it's there, then maybe the problem is not that important.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The flicker thing kills me. Mine does it. Have I eagerly called Google to demand a replacment? No. When I first saw it my reaction was "this is what people complain about?" seriously, mine does it very rarely, and by the time I notice it its gone. Definitely not worth waiting on a replacement only to possibly get one that's worse and have to set up all my stuff again.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

JaSauders

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
What cracks me up are the people who hadn't noticed any lift or light bleed until someone here told them how to find it. If a problem is so insignificant that someone has to help you realize it's there, then maybe the problem is not that important.

Even when I realized I had screen lift, I didn't care. I love everything about my Nexus 7. Even when the screen cracked in my bare hands in two places without dropping it or putting pressure on the screen, I still loved it.

What I am NOT loving is ASUS. There is clearly a design flaw here that has effected myself and many other people. ASUS, so far, is refusing to fix the damage under warranty, but instead wants to charge me 170 to repair it.

I can understand if I dropped it. I can understand if I slipped and fell with it in my hand. I can understand if I was mountain biking and it was in my pocket and I had an epic wipeout down a singletrack course @ 50 mph. But, I didn't. It cracked in my hand somewhere between leaving the house and arriving at the side of my car in my driveway.

I know companies have to watch their tails, and I know it doesn't look good when a screen cracks and the user is trying to justify that it wasn't their fault... but it certainly doesn't help ASUS when Google reps have told me over the phone "Yes, there is a design flaw with the screens that we have (and still are) working through to make sure they're in the best shape for our customers." ASUS, on the other hand, doesn't give a . They need to begin righting some wrongs. Period. Done. Over. End of story. ASUS needs to own up to this.

I'm still awaiting another response as we've been playing volleyball here a little bit on the subject. This isn't something I plan to lose. Anybody else who's screen cracked in two places when you took 9 steps to your car would feel the same way. Anybody.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I hear Asuses warranty department are *****s. All and all it seems like most Asian companies are terrible with warranty claims. I've read reviews of Samsung plasma TVs where people have had burn in out of the box and Samsung has refused to repair it because regardless of cause Samsung doesn't cover burn in. And I know the PS2 had that disc read error and Sonys attitude was "buy another PS2".

Asus products generally have a good reputation because they are built so well you usually never have to use the warranty. But I haven't heard one good story from the unfortunate who have

teralpar

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
The flicker thing kills me. Mine does it. Have I eagerly called Google to demand a replacment? No. When I first saw it my reaction was "this is what people complain about?" seriously, mine does it very rarely, and by the time I notice it its gone. Definitely not worth waiting on a replacement only to possibly get one that's worse and have to set up all my stuff again.

My thoughts exactly! I've noticed the horizontal line flash every now and ten on my screen (maybe a couple times a day while using it), but for me it's just not worth the hassle to send it back just to take a chance on receiving a unit that may have several defects. The horizontal line flash is hardly noticeable on mine...I don't have screen flicker or a raised screen on mine. I love my N7!

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Ya I dont believe you went thru 10 Warranty replacements. It sounds like we got a iSheep that lost it way.......Nexus 7 is not to be confused with the iTampon 2 (iPad) :thumbup::D

LMAO!!! I will never own any iCrap. If I won one, I would sell it. Looking into the nexus 7 though and reading through the forum about it.

I have always liked ASUS, am on an ASUS laptop now. Never had to warranty it though. But they have given me tech support out of warranty period.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Am i just confused but am I actually reading things like this? "you should paid more for a better tablet if you expect better quality" then next posts later "nexus 7 is not defective. mine is in great shape as good quality as a $400 tablet"

so sounds like spending more isn't going to help if its the same quality.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on Tuesday and I have no issues either. I specifically checked for the screen separation issue.

It's crazy you went through 10 through. Was it one device exchanged over and over again?

It's amazing that asus/store of interest let him go through 10 devices. That's just ridiculous.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I consider myself a shotty tech connoisseur and I love the thing :p

Exactly. I had the ipad, great build quality. I loved it. Got rid of it almost a year ago. For back in the tablet market with the nexus 7. Sure, it's no ipad in terms of build quality, but i personally have no complaints. For me, this is a terrific device. Sorry for the peeps who are having issues.

Lodovik

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Wether or not the OP has gone thru 7, 8 or 10 devices is irrelevant. When he says that the build of the N7 is poor, he is right. I've exchanged mine because it had screen lift and the multitouch issues and got another N7 with the same problems. Asus has an abysmal QC and it shows. I didn't exchange my second N7 because the odds of getting a perfect one are extremely low; I have more chances to get a worse one so I kept it.

The multitouch issue isn't normally noticeable but the screen lift and creaking sounds were annoying. So I used a bit of superglue to correct Asus faults. No, it doesn't show and now my N7 feels solid as it should be.

I praise Google for putting this little marvel on our hands at such a great price; I hate Asus for not being able to correctly put the parts together.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll get better. Early adopters always get screwed and the issues people are reporting are also the result of this stupid era of cheap Chinese manufacturing. So far no issues with mine and hope it stays that way

michael85225

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I just bought mine from Staples today and it's almost perfect. The screen is slightly raised on the top left side but you can barely even notice it. It's not as bad as others I have seen on the internet and I can live with it. There's no creaking or other strange noises that others have reported with the screen. Other than that, the tablet is excellent and I'm very satisfied with it.

Last edited:

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I got my N7 two weeks ago and loved it. When I got it, it came with a blemish on the side bezel, and had the light bleed on the lower left. A couple days ago I finally noticed a few dead pixels. I tried to return it today at office depot where I bought it but the refused to refund it cause "dead pixels are common" he said. After looking at the guy like I was going to punch him in the face he agreed to exchange for another one. I havent opened it yet cause I'm debating selling it on eBay. I don't want to go through this constant exchange routine with this thing.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I got my N7 two weeks ago and loved it. When I got it, it came with a blemish on the side bezel, and had the light bleed on the lower left. A couple days ago I finally noticed a few dead pixels. I tried to return it today at office depot where I bought it but the refused to refund it cause "dead pixels are common" he said. After looking at the guy like I was going to punch him in the face he agreed to exchange for another one. I havent opened it yet cause I'm debating selling it on eBay. I don't want to go through this constant exchange routine with this thing.

So you think it might have defects, therefore you're going to pawn it off on someone on ebay?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89