Nexus 7 at the heart of your stereo sound system

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to connect my stereo system to my Cloud music (Google music) for some time now. I figure some of you may be, too.

I first realized how great this was when I bought a web-enabled BluRay player, and enjoyed Pandora through my home theater. Nice, but not my music -- and the BluRay player was not user-adjustable in any way.

I looked at the new web-enabled stereo receivers that allow you to connect directly to the Cloud music, but (a) they are expensive, (b) my receiver works fine, and (c) they don't seem ready for prime time.

So, I found this Logitech bridge:

http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/wireless-speaker-adapter

I've had this Bluetooth system connecting my Cloud music to my stereo for two days, and about 10 hours of use.

So far, its been flawless. Sound quality is excellent, range is beyond line-of-sight (something I did not expect), and the interface is bone simple -- just turn on Bluetooth on your mobile device and play your tunes.

Battery life on my Nexus 7 is...many hours. It never died, so I guess its a non-issue.

I've discovered some other fun uses for this technology. LiveATC sounds much better over a real sound system. Listening to the police scanner is cool, but annoying. Your personal assistant (Siri, on Iphones, Skyvi on Droid phones) sounds awesome, too.

I've only found one flaw really. When my daughter plays her stuff, the system doesn't remember my device anymore. I have to re-pair my Bluetooth -- a 2 second but annoying to repeat task.

Overall, this is EXACTLY what I wanted. Maybe someday I will connect the stereo directly to the Cloud music, but for now streaming it through our mobile devices via Bluetooth is great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Dhendy91

gravyhead

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad you found something that works for you!

Another thing you might try (disclaimer, I haven't, but plan to) is XBMC running on an old laptop. It's a full featured media center, and connects to Pandora, Google Music, and a whole lot more. Couple that with the Android XBMC full-control remote, and you've got a heck of a system.

Just a thought.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Glad you found something that works for you!

Another thing you might try (disclaimer, I haven't, but plan to) is XBMC running on an old laptop. It's a full featured media center, and connects to Pandora, Google Music, and a whole lot more. Couple that with the Android XBMC full-control remote, and you've got a heck of a system.

Just a thought.

My goal was to be untied from a PC. The way I've got everything connected it runs exclusively through the Nexus 7, and it works great! :D

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
BTW: In case anyone is wondering, battery life is phenomenal, even with this set up. I've been running WiFi and Bluetooth, playing music for the last 15 hours, and I've still got 25% battery left. Amazing!

robw

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the same setup in my home and it has been great. Wish the range on the Bluetooth was a bit stronger, but I can still sit on my deck and control the music I am listening to on my outdoor speakers..... :cool:

d3c509b

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Google Music on XBMC? I'd love to see a link to repository / addon that works. Everyone I've tried has extremely limited functionality, or just doesn't work.

Thanks!

Run L1ke H3LL

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Saw the thread title and came in to recommend that exact device. Glad to see that others are enjoying how useful it is. About your issue concerning repairing the device; I have setup NFC tags around my apartment to reestablish a connection when lost. You might try looking into it.

Also, set one up inside your doorway so when you come home it automatically connects. You'll feel like a badass ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

muchby

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Logitech device hooked up to my Bose radio for a while now and it works perfectly with my Nexus 7. Also worked great with my Dell Streak 7, and both devices work with my Logitech Bluetooth speakers in another room. All-in-all, an easy and effective solution.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I've been doing this ever since I got my Xoom on launch day. The only difference is I don't use a bluetooth gateway as I'm hard-wired into the back of my stereo in my office at work. While I'm in the office I hardly move from my desk so Its no problem. I've thought about getting a bluetooth gateway, but never had a problem being hardwired.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
BTW: In case anyone is wondering, battery life is phenomenal, even with this set up. I've been running WiFi and Bluetooth, playing music for the last 15 hours, and I've still got 25% battery left. Amazing!

Hmmm I can't get that kind of battery life just using it normally and playing a couple of games for awhile.

What's your setup?

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm I can't get that kind of battery life just using it normally and playing a couple of games for awhile.

What's your setup?

It's funny -- since I posted that I have not been able to duplicate that 15 hour performance. It's down to more like 6 or 7 hours, when connected to WiFi and Bluetooth simultaneously.

I have no idea what I did to achieve 15 hours that day. Maybe my daughter secretly charged it when I wasn't looking? :D

magicrat21

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I got this device the other day and it works great except when the Nexus 7 goes to sleep the music still plays but the sound drops out randomly. If I set the
Nexus to stay awake and not sleep it works great. Anybody else have this problem??

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

What's your setup?

Playing games will use a LOT more battery than playing music via bluetooth with the screen off (I am assuming it's off for much of his playback time). I recently went on a long roadtrip, and was streaming music via bluetooth to my car stereo for most of a ~9hr drive, and still had more than half the battery life left when I arrived. Playing games, though, I would guess a 3-4 hour battery life, depending on how intense the games are.

andysdp

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi All
Would this work running Google music all access on the nexus 7, using the Logitech device to connect to a Panasonic blue ray home theatre box? Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks. Andy

bloo0153

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Saw the thread title and came in to recommend that exact device. Glad to see that others are enjoying how useful it is. About your issue concerning repairing the device; I have setup NFC tags around my apartment to reestablish a connection when lost. You might try looking into it.

Also, set one up inside your doorway so when you come home it automatically connects. You'll feel like a badass ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I took apart my Logitech adapter and stuck an NFC tag inside it. Works great.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone comment on the quality of the audio using Bluetooth? Is there some type of lose like there is with MP3? Seems like most systems toss bits away and the quality takes a hit. I was going to plug the audio out from my Nexus 7 into my system, but this setup certainly cuts the cord and adds mobility.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone comment on the quality of the audio using Bluetooth? Is there some type of lose like there is with MP3? Seems like most systems toss bits away and the quality takes a hit. I was going to plug the audio out from my Nexus 7 into my system, but this setup certainly cuts the cord and adds mobility.

Yes, bluetooth adds a level of compression. If you are an audiophile with excellent equipment then you will want to steer clear. If you have average ears, you will be okay.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bruno1099