Latitude, Talk, etc ... what if you have 2 devices connected?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So I'm testing out a Nexus 7 at work, and set it up pretty much like my Amaze 4G (4.0.3, Sense 3.6). Oh, and Google set up more ... I didn't expect it to start installing apps from the Play store. :-\

1. I noticed that Latitude wants to follow my location and check me in. But I have my phone doing this. Are the two devices complementary, or will they conflict/overwrite my check-ins? E.g. If I arrive at work, would Latitude show me checking in twice because I have two devices arriving?

2. If my primary Google account is "online" in Talk and Google+ on both devices, if someone invites me to a hangout, or makes a Talk Video call, why does the tablet "get the call" first? Between the two devices, does one have precedence? (It seems a PITA to have to enable or disable all this on one or the other if, say, i leave my phone downstairs but go upstairs with the tablet.)

TIA for any answers or suggestions.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
From my experience with talk and g+ . What ever device I'm using I get it on that one first. I have my nexus 7 . Galaxy nexus and thunderbolt. I use g talk on my n7. And if I'm not using it for awhile and I get a msg, it rings on the n7 and not the others. All are online as well. But IF I reply back on my galaxy nexus then it will begin to ring on the gnex and not the n7 same with the hang outs.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen that yet, how do you answer on the other device? Enter the program, I.e. Talk?

Yes. All your chats show up on all devices, it's just that (in my experience) the notification tone tends to play in something resembling this priority:

1. If you have a device that you are currently actively using, the notification tone will sound on it and only it.
2. If you have (say) three devices and all three are in "away", the notification tone tends to sound on all devices you are currently logged in on.

So Google seems to be smart enough to assume that, if a device is in active use, that's where I'm the most likely to want to be notified of it.

But the conversation shows on any devices that were connected when the conversation was happening.

I have a desktop with Gmail or G+ running most of the time, a Nexus 7, and a Thunderbolt. If my wife messages me while at work, I usually see the chat on the web browser, but if I'm away from my desk my Nexus and my Thunderbolt (and the desktop) all notify me.

I can fluidly switch from device to device, chatting with her on my walk back to my desk, then setting the Thunderbolt aside and opening up a Gmail session on my desktop (where the chat appears automatically the next time she says something, or the chat history comes up if I click on her contact name to start a "new" chat) and continuing, then if I need to leave my desk I just shut down the web browser and pick up the phone and continue on...

I also occasionally get a notification on my phone, start up Gmail, and since I haven't "opened" the conversation on my phone Gmail pops the chat up automatically.

Some pretty smart people at the Big G.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
As far as Latitude is concerned, Google added a "Report location from this device" preference in the newest version. Uncheck it and only your phone with report (if you have it set up this way).

This has been a big help because my tablets (at home) were screwing with my location reporting during the day.

TJH

Reactions: ChromeJob

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I noticed that setting and decided that I'd turn off location reporting unless I need it. So many apps and web sites ask for "location" permission, it's confusing what's doing what.

Today, I realized that between my phone, there seem to be Google+, Messenger (also built in to G+), and Google Talk, all with somewhat overlapping functions for chat. :confused: I think they need to pare down the offerings a bit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shao61