DLNA/AllShare like app included on the Nexus 7?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I also use BubbleUPnP. This let's me stream from my Nexus 7 to my LG TV that has DLNA built in. This is a nice wireless solution if the movie or music is on my Nexus 7 instead of my computer.

When you look for devices in Bubble, does your TV show up even though it's a client and not a server?
Do your files have to be in the TV's native formats to show up on the TV's menus for selection, or does Bubble do any transcoding?

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
When you look for devices in Bubble, does your TV show up even though it's a client and not a server?
Do your files have to be in the TV's native formats to show up on the TV's menus for selection, or does Bubble do any transcoding?

Hey tflash, fancy meeting you here! I just finished writing a response to you under another topic, where I disagreed with your opinion. I hope I didn't come off as too big of an uppity ass in my response!

Anyway, no, the TV doesn't show up in the device list on BubbleUPnP. And unless the video file is something the TV handles natively, it won't play back. It will, however, be listed on the TV's screen, but will give me an incompatibility message if I try to play it. That's for the LG TV that I have.

I don't know enough about DLNA and UPnP, so I'm not sure about the options available. I know just enough to get it to work for my purposes. Networking beyond the very basics has always confused me a bit. When I hear client and server, I have to take a moment to map this out in my mind!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

martcal

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Skyrockett. ES File Explorer File Manager is free and will find and open/play all (shared) media files on your home network. Lots of other useful functions too, e.g. FTP, Bluetooth, Net. You can also Copy/Delete etc. between devices. Highly recommended!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Skyrockett. ES File Explorer File Manager is free and will find and open/play all (shared) media files on your home network. Lots of other useful functions too, e.g. FTP, Bluetooth, Net. You can also Copy/Delete etc. between devices. Highly recommended!

This is easy and cool, but you forgot to mention that it all comes together with MX player that allows any format to be played. If the player only played .mpg for example, you would have to transcode on the server side and would have to run a program like PS3 media player on your PC.
That's what I have to do to get PC content networked to my TV. I have a sony xbr9 and it only supports .mpg. You would think for $1700 and claiming to be a 'networked' TV that it would be as easy to play networked content as on the N7 for $250.

So I'm always looking for ways to get networked content to my TV. One day I might be able to ditch cable TV.
I was hoping to send stuff from the N7 to the TV. I know it's possible, I just haven't got it to work on my TV and network yet.
I'm not complaining about no TV output port, because who wants a cable from a tablet to the TV anyway?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
This is easy and cool, but you forgot to mention that it all comes together with MX player that allows any format to be played.

I am a big fan of es file explorer but if you use bs player instead of mx player, it has a "lan mode" which means es is not necessary to browse/play your video files.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
...I'm always looking for ways to get networked content to my TV. One day I might be able to ditch cable TV. I was hoping to send stuff from the N7 to the TV. I know it's possible, I just haven't got it to work on my TV and network yet.
I'm not complaining about no TV output port, because who wants a cable from a tablet to the TV anyway?

What about using some sort of media streamer like a Roku or a WiFi enabled smart Blu-ray player with DNLA capabilities? These can transcode many different formats and the cost would be reasonable at $75 to $150. So you wirelessly connect your computer and N7 to the DNLA media streamer or Blu-ray player, which is physically attached to your TV. You also get the added benefit of whatever apps and streaming services those devices already have built in.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
What about using some sort of media streamer like a Roku or a WiFi enabled smart Blu-ray player with DNLA capabilities? These can transcode many different formats and the cost would be reasonable at $75 to $150. So you wirelessly connect your computer and N7 to the DNLA media streamer or Blu-ray player, which is physically attached to your TV. You also get the added benefit of whatever apps and streaming services those devices already have built in.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing. I'm looking at getting a bluray player with features like built in WiFi, DLNA, and maybe browser ability.
I'm trying to use what I have. I can't stand buying devices with duplicate features of my other devices just because the feature was implemented poorly.
I didn't know the right questions to ask when I got my xbr9, so the internet features ended up just being a bullet item on the features list to justify a higher price.
I'd feel a lot worse if the xbr9 wasn't such an awesome TV overall.

Why can't they just make big screen TVs with PCs (using low power technology so it won't have a loud cooling fan) in them?
How many small device power bricks do I have to have in my apartment to do what I want?

I swear it's a scam to keep tecnofiles like me strung out and 'chasing the dragon' buying this or that product hoping to find my tech feature bliss.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing. I'm looking at getting a bluray player with features like built in WiFi, DLNA, and maybe browser ability.
I'm trying to use what I have. I can't stand buying devices with duplicate features of my other devices just because the feature was implemented poorly.
I didn't know the right questions to ask when I got my xbr9, so the internet features ended up just being a bullet item on the features list to justify a higher price.
I'd feel a lot worse if the xbr9 wasn't such an awesome TV overall.

Why can't they just make big screen TVs with PCs (using low power technology so it won't have a loud cooling fan) in them?
How many small device power bricks do I have to have in my apartment to do what I want?

I swear it's a scam to keep tecnofiles like me strung out and 'chasing the dragon' buying this or that product hoping to find my tech feature bliss.

Here's something that I just saw that might be of interest to you. Just another gizmo to keep you strung out and chasing the dragon (which I thought was part of the bliss of being a technophile)!

It's a Jelly Bean stick that plugs directly into your TV HDMI port. Besides it main features of tons of (useless?) widgets and streaming apps which your TV already has, it has DNLA media share capabilities. Maybe it would meet your needs. Or maybe it would just add to the confusion! But at only $49 for the 4GB version, it might be worth checking out.

http://androidheadlines.com/2012/09...an-to-your-hdtv-with-the-favi-smartstick.html

http://www.favientertainment.com/v/vspfiles/SmartStick_custom/index.html

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Here is the allshare app if you guys want https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6y4sycot7w4x85/AllShare_1.1.0.apk. If this is not allowed then I'll delete. I'm not sure cause we post this kind of stuff at the E4GT forums that actually has the app. Its what I use for my Samsung LED TV

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Resurrecting this necropost just to say thanks sol. Got the .apk from Dropbox and can now watch N7 content on my Samsung TV. Shows as "GT-I5500" connected (I'm guessing this is your cellphone model :)) but otherwise works fine and means I'm just using my existing Samsung proprietary (DLNA) solution across all devices. Cheers!

PS: Since realised I can re-name the Allshare connection on the N7 so now it appears as "Nexus7" on my TV ;)

Last edited: