Why I WON'T be getting a minipad....

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I had been awaiting the iPad mini announcement before making a decision to get a tablet and hand my Fire down to my wife.
I'll be NOT going with the minipad.
It's really smooth looking but the reasons I WON'T be minipadding:
-No GPS. I mean for maps and checking into FB is fun.
-I'd miss all my stuff being on Google to import.
-I'd miss the other buttons except that one big home button on the minipad. Fine line between simple being good and then TOO simple being left behind.
-I don't want anything bigger than the N7 to carry around.
-No USB
-I'd of course, miss the customability of the Droid..folders/WIDGETS (clapping) etc. That's just fun stuff man.
Those are the main reasons.
It is a cool piece of work though.

But, I think you could put an Apple logo on a piece of poop and people would buy it and put it in a designer bag and try to convince the world they're something special because their poop has an Apple on it.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
A magnetometer, I can understand obmitting.. but no GPS? It has a 3G version, so I think it's a little silly that it doesn't have a GPS.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Silly question time: does the GPS on the Nexus 7, or any wifi only device, work without an internet connection?

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Silly question time: does the GPS on the Nexus 7, or any wifi only device, work without an internet connection?

GPS can work separate from WiFi, though I've never gotten it to work. Now it's a different story if you want to locate your tablet using GPS alone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

The stock google maps/navigation can't really function without an internet connection, at least for me--even with offline cached maps. I even tried saving a route while I had wifi, to access it later when I was offline. Failed to load. It's just absolutely terrible and pointless lol. The best you can do with the stock stuff without wifi is use the map like you would a paper map, with a compass. No offline POI's.

BUT, there are plenty of navigation apps in the Play store that work great offline. I have the "CoPilot Live Premium USA" app, which is the $10 one from the Play store. The free version works great if you're not driving and you just want directions. The premium one has turn-by-turn voice navigation. The best part for me are the offline POI's--it lists pretty much everything, so if you need to find the nearest gas station or grocery store in an unfamiliar area, you're good.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The offline Google map app can pinpoint the N7 location to the area of the building it is in.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
ahh...is this a thread to ppl why you're not going to get a mini, because you make it seem like you were going to get one but in reality by reading your post it never sounded like you were going to get one in the first place. You knew the mini wasn't going to get USB nor custom widgets, ect from the get go. Sounds like you are trying to validate a purchase. No hate but just keeping it real.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
ahh...is this a thread to ppl why you're not going to get a mini, because you make it seem like you were going to get one but in reality by reading your post it never sounded like you were going to get one in the first place. You knew the mini wasn't going to get USB nor custom widgets, ect from the get go. Sounds like you are trying to validate a purchase. No hate but just keeping it real.

I was thinking the SAAAAME thing haha. I mean I love my Nexus 7 and all, but there's no reason to make a whole thread about how I'm NOT getting the competitor's product.

Praggles

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Why go off line with Nav/maps? I just tether to my MAXX with foxfi and I have the world's best TomTom...I mean my friends 2k Nav system in his Acura is a joke compared to my $200.00 nexus mounted on my trucks dash (I use super strong 3m Velcro and a cruzerlite case to make a holder). Seriously Automakers should give up on overpriced navs and simply put in universal mounts for the nexus/Fire/tab etc...sorry iPad minis won't work...no gps....

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Actually, indeed I was going to get one. Thought I'd at least try an Apple product because I have friends with iPads and they do run smoothly.
But, after finding out about the GPS that sealed the deal. Yes, I knew they wouldn't have widgets/etc from Android...but I didn't know for sure they wouldn't have a USB port.
No hate either, keeping it real dood. :)
I really do like the minipad thinner bezel than the N7 has, more viewable screen.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, indeed I was going to get one. Thought I'd at least try an Apple product because I have friends with iPads and they do run smoothly.
But, after finding out about the GPS that sealed the deal. Yes, I knew they wouldn't have widgets/etc from Android...but I didn't know for sure they wouldn't have a USB port.
No hate either, keeping it real dood. :)
I really do like the minipad thinner bezel than the N7 has, more viewable screen.

On a related note...I WAS thinking about gettin the new ipod touch, but then Apple goes and puts the price at $300 !@#$@Q

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I often buy Apple products as gifts for relatives, and fully expected to purchase 2-3 Mini's as Christmas gifts. Then the official announcement was made and I had to change my shopping plans. It's just an underwhelming device with an inflated price tag. There's just no excuse for such a low resolution screen in late 2012. The new iPod Touch is a nice piece of kit, but I already have an S3 so I don't have any use for it.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Why go off line with Nav/maps? I just tether to my MAXX with foxfi and I have the world's best TomTom...I mean my friends 2k Nav system in his Acura is a joke compared to my $200.00 nexus mounted on my trucks dash (I use super strong 3m Velcro and a cruzerlite case to make a holder). Seriously Automakers should give up on overpriced navs and simply put in universal mounts for the nexus/Fire/tab etc...sorry iPad minis won't work...no gps....

Not everyone wants to tether either by extra cost or want to sneak around stealing data. Sprint doesn't give me the pleasure of extra data away from my phone.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The offline Google map app can pinpoint the N7 location to the area of the building it is in.

I don't know what you are talking about. My N7 can track me to my house on Google maps that I can switch over to get the old Satellite picture of the house. I walked out the door last week and walked around the block and saw it was tracking my changing location on the N7 Google maps.

TomMCMLVIII

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Open Google maps
Locate the area you will be visiting
Make available offline.
Now when you're on your walk etc etc and you open up My Tracks you'll see exactly where you are even without an internet signal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699