Can't play videos on my Nexus 7...

jssqmaty

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the warning. But I have used the converter for a long time(it is from brorsoft). It works fine with high quality and I can freely set the video/audio parameters to get the ideal quality and effect. The most important is that I can freely transfer MKVs, AVIs to my N7 and smartphone S3 for viewing.

I believe there is a perfect player app for Android, but it is hard to find.

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not very tech-oriented, but my MVI_.avi and DSCN.asf videos that I had taken with digital cameras several years ago wouldn't play on my Nexus 7. So I d/l the free Dice Player app from the Google Play Store and now they all play nicely on the N7. :cool:

jjrdias

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just get Dice Player. It's free, plays anything, has pop-up player, supports subs and multiple audio tracks. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect. What is this with the converting nonsense??? This isn't IOS or Windows Phone!!! Come on!!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just get Dice Player. It's free, plays anything, has pop-up player, supports subs and multiple audio tracks. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect. What is this with the converting nonsense??? This isn't IOS or Windows Phone!!! Come on!!

The average Bluray runs about 36GB... Some of us "convert" to reduce the size to something manageable.

Also, many Blurays are authored with seamless branching. Resulting in many individual video files, all with randomly ordered tracks. As I am unaware of any android media player that can automatically parse the playlist folder in a BDMV file structure, you'd just get a bunch of random snipets of the movie mixed in with the hundreds of actor interviews and other extras if you tried to just play the Stream folder.

In another case, some people like to watch Amine (SP?) which, it is my understanding, the people that "upload" this stuff have taken to encoding it in 10 bit color with some rather impractical encoding settings (as much as 16 reference frames in some cases.) Last time I looked, your Discplayer doesn't support 10 but color (MX Player does though) and 16 ref frame encoding requires software decode and causes things to turn into a battery eating slideshow. So again, converting may be required to make the file manageable.

-Suntan

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The average Bluray runs about 36GB... Some of us "convert" to reduce the size to something manageable.
So again, converting may be required to make the file manageable.

Bah !! If you just connected to your 100 terabyte media server via your handy hardwired ethernet adapter, 36 GB is child's play. Media conversion is just so 2th century and the Nexus 7 screen compares so well with your everyday plebian 50" 3D LED TV..... /sarc

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Bah !! If you just connected to your 100 terabyte media server via your handy hardwired ethernet adapter, 36 GB is child's play. Media conversion is just so 2th century and the Nexus 7 screen compares so well with your everyday plebian 50" 3D LED TV..... /sarc

I actually do connect to my media server when travelling. But I only use it to watch the hometown 10 o'clock news that night before going to bed. For a number of reasons, it's just more practical to convert and carry video media on hand when travelling. But I've been dealing with HD media file conversion for well over a decade, YMMV.

And 50" is about 70" too small for me.... /nosarc... The N7 is a great little device, but it doesn't come anywhere close to needing the amount of information available on a quality Bluray copy. Down converting allows for a much more manageable file with no perceptible fidelity loss.

-Suntan

Last edited:

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually do connect to my media server when travelling. But I only use it to watch the hometown 10 o'clock news that night before going to bed. For a number of reasons, it's just more practical to convert and carry video media on hand when travelling. But I've been dealing with HD media file conversion for well over a decade, YMMV.

And 50" is about 70" too small for me.... /nosarc... The N7 is a great little device, but it doesn't come anywhere close to needing the amount of information available on a quality Bluray copy. Down converting allows for a much more manageable file with no perceptible fidelity loss.

-Suntan

yes, all true. was just making a point about how far to extremes/excess we will go sometimes. I use Plex server and like it fine for streaming and like most streaming servers, it will transcode the original source on the fly as needed without any intervention on the users part (other than to perhaps select a default for a destination device). Therefore you CAN certainly use the blueray ISO to stream to the N7 if your server system can handle the on-the-fly conversion task fast enough to get a good output stream. And yes, of course, the information density is far in excess of that which the N7 can display.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Therefore you CAN certainly use the blueray ISO to stream to the N7 if your server system can handle the on-the-fly conversion task fast enough to get a good output stream.

Not very useful when you are half way over the Atlantic. Or sitting in a hotel in a foreign country with no wifi.

Yeah, I'm not saying that streaming isn't viable. But nothing beats a converted video in hand for being the most reliable means of staying entertained when you want to watch a flick.

-Suntan

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
But nothing beats a converted video in hand for being the most reliable means of staying entertained when you want to watch a flick.

Unless of course you want to bring along your portable blue-ray player / laptop.... and witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!
ROFL

cripp71

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! Not sure if this is a new add to MX Player but I see a HW/SW switch located on the main screen in the upper right corner which allows you to make the change on the fly now. For those going thru the Settings menu I found that I had to restart the video for the settings to take effect so don't be confused or disappointed if you don't see an immediate change in the playback using this method. I tried several players thus far and MX has been the most robust. Although I hate doing it, I'm transcoding native ISO files on my NAS to MKV.h264 with aac audio and they're working great, either streaming or local.

On a side note, although everything I read says it can't be done (easily), I've had some success with MX Player streaming ISO files. It's a little hit and miss I think depending on the audio codec or channel the DVD was recorded in but for some reason it's working. Very interesting.... Any tips on improving the success rate?

Paul Phelps

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been using dice player and it's great because it will play anything and it's got sound boost and different screen sizes so I find it's easy to use....A++

billjohn75

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi have installed mx player on my nexus7 but when i try to load a movie am told device has stopped responding or been disconnected.
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by "load a movie"? Do you mean when you try to play a video file? What format is it in, and where did you obtain it? Are you sure there isn't any copy protection or DRM associated with the file?

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress