My nexus tried to kill me

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Its not my nexus though but just read this story on the net, pretty dodgy never seem anything like it....

http://drippler.com/updates/share/burned-nexus-7-joins-spontaneous-combustion-club-photos

nexus-7-fire-burned.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read about this incident, it may be that the local electrical infrastructure may have been more to blame than any hardware problem. This happened somewhere in China, and it's quite possible that the overheating could have been caused by a power surge. Hard to know for sure, but what'll be interesting to see is if this starts to crop up in the US.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Almost every popular device that uses a li-ion battery has spontaneous combustion stories. Li-ion batteries can overheat and catch fire if they aren't treated properly. Maybe it was due to a fault from manufacturing, or maybe the owner did something that aren't admitting, like drop it in water and it is a delayed result of the water damage or used a dodgy third-party charger. I doubt we'll find out the cause of this incident. But in any case there have been millions of Nexus 7s sold and so far only one incidence of a battery catching fire, so statistically the risk of this happening to your one is still too low to worry about, there is far more risk of being involved in a car accident than your Nexus 7 spontaneously combusting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
These kinds of things are always fun to look at and speculate about. But a single meltdown of dubious origin does not a scandal make. (Which is why we don't put these on the front page anymore.)