4.2 Impressions

Traveler5

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Amazon Prime movies & Flash work fine with 4.2 for me using the Boat browser.

Haven't had a chance to check it yet, but Flash worked great with xScope Pro browser. I hope that is not any different now after the 4.2 update. I use Dolphin for web browsing (Dolphin is not Flash enabled) and xScope Pro for watching Amazon Prime movies. I can't get Dolphin to open since the 4.2 update. I hope that gets fixed soon.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
dolphin 8.5.1 works with flash. u have to sideload it. Now that we have 4.2, it's messed up! Running Flash in Boat, Dolphin or Firefox causes FC. I am PISSED!

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I was very excited when I updated today and check out the new things. Now my tablet is less responsive, when I go into settings it freezes and I have to force close settings, don't know whats going on...

Go into settings and click on "More..." under Wireless and Networks it goes to a black screen and freezes...

Also can't add GPS or other widgets to the quick settings. Which means I won't be able to abandon the power control widget...

After typing all this I turned the screen off and wasn't able to turn it back on for another minute and then it got stuck in landscape mode for 10 seconds.. I never had any of these issues before the update, hopefully a restart will fix everything..

Edit: Restarted and it seems like everything is fine now.

Last edited:

Jax67

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm so relieved it isn't just me who thinks the new clock is far from an improvement. Loved the old one, totally hate the new one. And I had my name and number on the lock screen just so people could see who owned the Nexus and get it back to me, since it was locked and they couldn't access my information - and it's turned into a scrolling text hell, like someone learning programming's first lesson. Of course if I add the new widgets (for my personal email and calendar, no other choices) anyone can access my email and calendar, so that's a lovely treat for thieves and stalkers. Thanks for nothing! Is there any way to go back, or at least get the lock screen looking nice again? It looked so good before, if only they had allowed users to at least choose the old clock, and the old info display, instead of the ridiculous stuff that really does look like a child came up with it. Not a clever child, either.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I was so ready to update my Nexus 7 when I got home today after receiving the update notification. After all of the problems users have posted so far, I'll continue to use 4.1 until the bugs and apps are updated. So far, my Nexus 7 is working fine as it is. Hate to mess it up at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one with a flawless version? Had 4.2 for a few hours now with no bug reports so far.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Same here, though I don't understand why anyone likes the gesture typing, which I've turned off. I find it very difficult to use. What am I missing?

shoefreak03

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Lock screen widgets
Anyone find a way to delete the option or not allow it to create more? I don't mind the clock on the lock screen but the others are bit much. it seems like it can create widgets for calendar and gmail without unlocking so anyone can check my email or see my calendar just by adding the widgets on the lock screen.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I love everything except one thing.
Why isn't there a toggle GPS widget in the notification? there's even an empty square space left... Looks half baked.
Other than that it works prefect.
Also don't really like how they made the dock icons smaller... Not sure what the purpose was.

By the way, the swype works much better than 3rd party

blader1

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I had a problem with youtube using bluetooth. The sound on my external speakers lagged and the video stuttered every few seconds. I unpaired the bluetooth connection to Bose Soundlink and then repaired. Worked like a charm. I then briefly tested Google Play. All seems fine.

myrcgarage

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any speed issues with multiple users? I always found the Nexus 7 to be a bit sluggish before on 4.1, so was excited to try 4.2. After some initial slugglishness and stuttering while setting up and updating apps, it seemed to generally be faster.

But the moment I added my gf as a new user and switched over, everything was ridiculously slow. Facebook timed out, etc etc. Seemed to affect both users. Just in general there seemed to be a lot more random slugglishness. I'm guessing that it's not sufficiently unloading the other user's apps from the background and either gobbling up RAM or letting them run CPU intensive tasks in the background?

Has anyone else experienced this? I love Android, but I sometimes get frustrated that iOS just beats it hands down on having a relatively smooth user experience without lag or stuttering.

same here with lag if there are multiple users.

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Same here, though I don't understand why anyone likes the gesture typing, which I've turned off. I find it very difficult to use. What am I missing?

At first I found it difficult, but now I use it fluently and efficiently. Try this: gesture type the first word, then release, then gesture type the next word. Don't try and gesture type a whole sentence at once, it doesn't work. Do one word, then release etc.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa