Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Default Re: 4.2 Impressions

After seeing that they updated the font, I decided to go ahead with the update. I like the new font so far. My biggest gripe before was the text not being dark enough, and difficult to read at times. They seemed to have fixed this issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jairusz View Post
    Spent a whole day on JB 4.2 and I have to say this update is no bueno. Audio bluetooth is even worse than before as it now skips even when the tablet isn't even a foot away from my device.
    I've been streaming audio via Bluetooth all night from 25+ feet away without a burp -- just like before 4.2.

Sounds like you've got a problem on the receiver-end. My Logitech BT receivers (connected to three stereo systems) all work flawlessly, from distances over 30 feet, and through walls.

Sent from my Nexus 7

4.2 is still jellybean but it seems like a huge upgrade.

cant wait to try it in Nexus 4. lock screen widget daydream

there are more negatives than positives as far as I'm concerned

Quote Originally Posted by severinj View Post
    there are more negatives than positives as far as I'm concerned
    like?

well as far as the nexus 7 goes it's inconvenient to have to swipe the notification bar down in different areas to get different results.it doesn't work like the phone, you can't drag with two fingers or drag it down twice. the lock screen looks much more amateur and every single time you wake up the tablet it highlights the ability to add more widgets to it. without unlocking the tablet you can add the widget for gmail which is just ridiculous.

i can't get over how ridiculous the lock screen widgets look or how they're handled. there doesn't seem to be any way to "lock" the lock screen, which other 3rd party apps have had for years.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cashiskingnyc View Post
    Am I the only one with a flawless version? Had 4.2 for a few hours now with no bug reports so far.
    I'm running just fine with no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shoefreak03 View Post
    Lock screen widgets
    Anyone find a way to delete the option or not allow it to create more? I don't mind the clock on the lock screen but the others are bit much. it seems like it can create widgets for calendar and gmail without unlocking so anyone can check my email or see my calendar just by adding the widgets on the lock screen.
    You can keep your lockscreen secure by setting up some kind of password or pattern unlock, and not adding Gmail or Calendar as a widget. If you have a password or pattern unlock set, then if anyone tries to add a lock screen widget, the tablet will prompt the user to enter the password or pattern FIRST. If the user doesn't, then no widgets can be added.

Keep in mind that 3rd party devs will start making cool lock screen widgets soon, so we won't just be stuck with the boring stock widgets.

Thanked by 2:
    mr_nobody and stoneysilence like this.

30 minutes in with 4.2..

The swipe keyboard is pretty sweet, if you only use the English layout. I'm originally from Sweden and I write messages to friends and family back home so I switch between languages fairly often. In the Swedish layout I can't use swipe and the auto spelling is not as good as with the English layout. They need to start supporting other languages fully so I can use the swipe function all the time. For now I'll just stick with Swiftkey, which is an excellent app for typing in different languages.

Where is the lock screen widget for the music players? In 4.1.2 it showed the track and album cover and I could change track, pause and play with both Spotify and Google music. Hopefully they fix this soon.

To me it seems that every time I change a setting it slows down the N7 and it gets laggy for a short time afterwards, only to go back to its speedy self after about 5-10 minutes.
    Last edited by ninjakarl; 11-15-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jellybean

I'm kind of jealous of all the people having issues... Especially major ones. I've been running 4.2 for over 24 (near continuous) hours without so much as a burp. Battery is great, responsiveness is great, features are great, and everything looks good. The only complaint I have is that I'm not a fan of the rubber band effect the notification bar menus have. But that's just something I have to get used to from the old style. But the rest of the system looks flawless.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I got it OTA and didn't push it via ADB? The OTA seemed to have no issues with my custom recovery or the fact that I was still rooted.

Who knows? I'm enjoying the update.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock on both for now.

Mine runs great too. No problems. Although I have to say the Nexus 7 book that came with my unit is now out of date. Where's THAT update?

A good test is to turn on auto rotate, and rotate the Nexus 90 degrees to see how fast this display changes . With 4.1 .2, the screen rotated in about 1 second. After the update, it can take as long as 6 seconds. So the factory reset I did last night, did not really work that well over time.

I noticed that if I rotate the screen back and forth multiple times with the same screen displayed, then it will eventually rotate in about a 1 second period... Like caching.

I am interested to know if anyone else having this lag In the auto rotate screen.

-T

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by T-BoneX View Post
    I am interested to know if anyone else having this lag In the auto rotate screen.
    I am not

I'm just getting a taste of 4.2 on my Verizon gnex thanks to Alien droid ROM but I'm guessing Verizon will push the update by the time the next Verizon nexus comes out..... I'm loving the gesture keyboard although not as accurate as swype yet. Over all I'm very impressed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sojodave View Post
    1. MX Player does not work.
    2. Dice Player does not work
    Any solution for this? I can no longer use TV portal.

I have the same lag issue on screen rotation.

But the new keyboard is crazy good!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tabletnovice View Post
    Any solution for this? I can no longer use TV portal.

No MX Player?!? Shiiiiiiiiiiit :thumbdown:
    Yde

Default Sv: 4.2 Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by ninjakarl View Post
    30 minutes in with 4.2..

The swipe keyboard is pretty sweet, if you only use the English layout. I'm originally from Sweden and I write messages to friends and family back home so I switch between languages fairly often. In the Swedish layout I can't use swipe and the auto spelling is not as good as with the English layout. They need to start supporting other languages fully so I can use the swipe function all the time. For now I'll just stick with Swiftkey, which is an excellent app for typing in different languages.

Where is the lock screen widget for the music players? In 4.1.2 it showed the track and album cover and I could change track, pause and play with both Spotify and Google music. Hopefully they fix this soon.

To me it seems that every time I change a setting it slows down the N7 and it gets laggy for a short time afterwards, only to go back to its speedy self after about 5-10 minutes.
    I'm Danish but in the settings I could download an additional dictionary, and then swype worked for me - did you try that?

Dice player has an update - works fine now. BSplayer also works fine.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by dmac45067 View Post
    Dice player has an update - works fine now
    Thanks for this info! I unistalled MX Player and installed Dice player. Works well, though it has some stalling like occurred when using MX Player. Any tips to stop the stalling?

Mine is dropping wifi and rebooting randomly.. Not happy

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is dropping wifi and rebooting randomly.. Not happy

Quote Originally Posted by T-BoneX View Post
    A good test is to turn on auto rotate, and rotate the Nexus 90 degrees to see how fast this display changes . With 4.1 .2, the screen rotated in about 1 second. After the update, it can take as long as 6 seconds. So the factory reset I did last night, did not really work that well over time.

I noticed that if I rotate the screen back and forth multiple times with the same screen displayed, then it will eventually rotate in about a 1 second period... Like caching.

-T

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Central Forums
    Yep I noticed it.

Most apps work in 4.2 for me. Everything seems smoother and faster. If people see my schedule because my calendar on the lockscreen... I'll probably get over it. Apps will be updated and ROMS will come out to adjust to individual needs. That's the benefit of having android devices. Updates aren't permanent and nexus devices get more support and frequent updates. So allow developers to make their apps compatible and do what you need to customize the os.

Quote Originally Posted by shoefreak03 View Post
    Lock screen widgets
    Anyone find a way to delete the option or not allow it to create more? I don't mind the clock on the lock screen but the others are bit much. it seems like it can create widgets for calendar and gmail without unlocking so anyone can check my email or see my calendar just by adding the widgets on the lock screen.
    There is a free app called "Lockscreen Features Policy" that can take care of this.
    Thanked by 2:

My one real bugbear is the lockscreen, I hate how it looks when you wake it up and I don't like the new clock.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast