4.2 Impressions

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
6. Quick Settings, Cont'd.... there are 8 icons with room for 9. Bad layout IMO. Again, it should be customizable.

that 9th spot you mentioned in quick settings is were your alarms show, so its not a bad layout

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
using Android Central Forum

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
What does everyone think about the black vertical bar when you scroll to the last home screen on either side? Not crazy about them myself, not a big deal, just not sure why they went with that. Lock screen doesn't seem very easy to use.

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It's for some reason caused by the update. Just reset your wallpaper, and it will go away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cinoromyxo

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard is nice, as is the quick settings. Nothing really eye-catching. Incremental updates aren't really meant to catch the eye, just they are more focused on bug fixes and little bits of features included.

Glad I manually updated it nevertheless.
Alongside rooting, it works quite nicely. :)

Edit: Changed my mind. 4.2 is a bigger upgrade than I thought. ;-)

Quick settings? Where is that?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Sad part is that I wanted to try out Photo Sphere.

Me, too. But I am loving this keyboard, even better than swype so far.

And I can turn off autocorrect completely (squee!!!)

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Quick settings? Where is that?

swipe down on the right side on your nexus 7 i think for gnexus (gsm) you swipe down with 2 fingers or touch the icon in the top right corner in the notifications area

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
using Android Central Forum

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Well there's no pinch to zoom in gmail but we finally get an auto fit option in settings. Better than nothing. I guess when this is the version that Phil saw in his Nexus 4 review.

ETA: there is pinch to zoom! once you turn on auto fit you also get pinch to zoom.

Last edited:

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed the difference when turn the screen on the nexus 7, before on 4.1.2 it just shut off with no animation, now with 4.2 they added a kinda fade out thingy when turning the screen off

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I really like the keyboard, I think it's the best added feature.
I like that they added the quick settings, that should have been there form the beginning.
I'm not a fan of the new lock screen, I don't like the fact that anyone can look at my personal emails from the lock screen widget.
I'm also a little annoyed that they made the dock icons smaller, I don't see why this was necessary.
I liked my dock icons the way they were, but I guess it's nothing to get upset about.
The homescreen and widgets seem to be moving even faster and more smooth than before. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa