Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the half-bold clock...it just looks uneven and well, too me at least, ugly.

Otherwise, I haven't had any other issues indicated here (outside of the missing December bug in the People app).

Also I haven't really decided if I like the way the notification shade is being handled on the Nexus 7. It makes sense to have two different shades on the bigger tablets, but on the N7 it seems a little cramped in portrait. But since they decided to go the "two shades" route, then they should at least have a better indicator to the user to pull down on the specific area as a way of saying "hey if you pull down on me then you'll get to see more stuff!"). Essentially I'm looking for a temporary intrusive notification, like seen on iOS or WP, that goes away after a set amount of time. Only the most recent one will show with the option for the user to immediately expand the entire notification tray down (as seen in my example attachment). It should be disabled for intensive activities and apps like games or video.
Tablet_Notifications.jpg
While I understand some, or perhaps most, would not like to see intrusive notifications as it takes up screen real estate albeit temporarily ...I think the screen size on tablets could warrant the sacrifice. I could see how it may not be optimal on phones, however.

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
This whole thread reminds of me the the Windows Vista debacle...

Having to do a factory reset doesn't seem like that big of a deal all things considered... There are so many apps out there with soooo many permissions and requirements it doesn't surprise me that an OS update might cause issues... Now if anyone has purchased a new Nexus 7 (fresh OS) and had all these issues I'd be much more concerned

Short of playing in a nice walled garden (*cough* iOS *cough*) the open nature of Android means that some of these things will happen... however unlike any iOS device, if something is wrong, you do have the ability to fix it, might be a learning curve for some though.

Above all, I know I would rather be using an OS that continues to evolve and grow made by a company that at the very least tries to innovate (im looking at you half bold clock)...

supermaumau

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
On my Galaxy Nexus the 4.2 update gave me a dramatic increase in battery life, and I haven't had any app issues other than the Amazon App Store, but I think that might just be because of the device registration issue that I have ran into before. (every time you flash a ROM it registers a new device, and stops adding new ones at 25)

I know the battery is helped somewhat by the fact that this is the first time I have ran a stock ROM/kernel in awhile. But I don't think it was ever this good before.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This whole thread reminds of me the the Windows Vista debacle...

Having to do a factory reset doesn't seem like that big of a deal all things considered... There are so many apps out there with soooo many permissions and requirements it doesn't surprise me that an OS update might cause issues... Now if anyone has purchased a new Nexus 7 (fresh OS) and had all these issues I'd be much more concerned

Short of playing in a nice walled garden (*cough* iOS *cough*) the open nature of Android means that some of these things will happen... however unlike any iOS device, if something is wrong, you do have the ability to fix it, might be a learning curve for some though.

Above all, I know I would rather be using an OS that continues to evolve and grow made by a company that at the very least tries to innovate (im looking at you half bold clock)...

to me a factory reset is a big deal because it takes hours to get everything back the way it was

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
YES. I've been noticing all kinds of delays and slowdowns, enough that I tap once, figured it was ignored, tap again, ... and 3 seconds later both taps are acted upon.

C'mon 4.2.1...!!!

Possible solution: A colleague searched online and found reports that 4.x needs 3GB or so available in storage. With a few games and music and whatnot, I had about 2.7GB free. I uninstalled TDKR (2.2GB or so), used Forever Gone to fill and clear the free space, rebooted and wiped cache partition, and am now running with Currents, Earth, G+, and other apps in background, and Currents Daydream on the "screensaver." It seems a bit zippier. Will report back later if I remember to....

T'is a pity that the OS needs to have 1/8 to 1/4 of the storage freed up to run properly. Doesn't Android have it's own cache partition to keep running smoothly? :-\ :(

(Yes. A wipe and factory reset will achieve the same thing. Of course it does -- you're restoring massive free space. This will work only until you again fill up your storage with games, music, videos, whatever.)

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
to me a factory reset is a big deal because it takes hours to get everything back the way it was

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Yep, I realized that when I factory reset on Sunday... It took about an hour to get stuff back to normal and I only have a tapatalk, two angry birds games, and some apps I've coded. Granted I have slow WiFi, but it took a while even with only a few apps, especially since the 4.2 zip didn't even have the updated apks for lots of the Google apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

isGuy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Good read. I just bought a Nexus 7 three weeks ago as a Christmas Gift. Based on what I've read so far, it appears I'm better off staying on what I'm assuming is 4.1 out of the box and put up with the annoying notifications until this gets sorted out.

Blkacesvf41

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Good read. I just bought a Nexus 7 three weeks ago as a Christmas Gift. Based on what I've read so far, it appears I'm better off staying on what I'm assuming is 4.1 out of the box and put up with the annoying notifications until this gets sorted out.

It's weird how some people are having so many issues. I guess I am lucky cause I only had problems with 3 apps. So yes, it must really be frustrating.

Driedwhatever

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit late to the slag 4.2 party but yes so many apps dont work now, some laggyness now and again too and a full crash at one point... next time i'll be waiting to see what the reports are before diving in with an update.

Velvet Smooth

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I would stay with 4.1 until the bugs are worked out. IMO not enough on the plus side to outweigh what others are seeing. In particular the screen brightness issue is starting to bother me. I am considering doing some research on how to back rev.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The main differences I notice, I don't like. The new clock, the lock screen widgets, and two pull-down notifications panels. Not an improvement for me, at least aesthetically.

My exact same problems with the update.

Sent from my ICS DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just did the Recovery Mode Cache Reset method. I've noticed a difference already. Its back to a speedy OS. Let's see how long this last............

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I just read this....I'm in the market for a new tablet and am sitting on the fence btwn two tablets...(two completely different tabs)
lol....Dec missing from the calendar is pretty big for me

Google has said that a fix is imminent.

bez54

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just did the Recovery Mode Cache Reset method. I've noticed a difference already. Its back to a speedy OS. Let's see how long this last............

Do you have to be rooted to do that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

xQuencher

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who has never had an incompatibility with an app?

My 4.2 OS runs without any problem (battery life may have shortened a bit, though), and had been compatible with everything.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 randomly reboots about every other day since "upgrading" to 4.2. Usually after I've spent ten minute composing a particularly enlightening post. lol

It NEVER did that before 4.2. Google needs to fix this OS, pronto.

Sent from my Nexus 7