Is it me or 4.2 kinda sucks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here is the link:

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/11/...pdating-your-asus-nexus-7-to-android-4-2.html

The one trick is that when you see the Android with the red exclamation mark, then you need to press and hold the power button AND THEN tap the Volume Up button once. Then the options will appear. I first tried holding both buttons down for an extended time, which will cause a restart without cache wipe after about 5 seconds.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
2def--love your work. However, for me 4.2 (Not OTA) has broken ability to do Nandroid Backups. Neither Wugs, nor TWRP , nor CWM. They create the backup file name but then do not write anything to the file. says things like E: Failed. Unable to find Android Secure Partition. Stuck for now.
This is due to the repartitioning of the sdcard (just one of the changes I alluded to above) to accommodate the multi-user option. The custom recoveries need to be updated to properly recognize the sdcard the way it is partitioned now. Koush has said CWM was a huge pain but I believe he has started rolling out new recoveries for at least the Nexus devices. I myself have the latest TWRP flashed (version 2.3.2.1, available here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.3 - Nexus 7 | TeamWin), and created a backup just now to test and it appears to have gone just fine -- actually in record time too. (see pic attached)
Hmmm. TWRP 2.3.2.1 is what I was using. Yeah I noticed the record time too. I went in and saw the backup file had been created----but it was empty! No wonder it completed in record time! That's when I went back and looked at the log and saw the failure notice. I guess I'll get into it deeper when I get back after TG.
2def, Once again, thanks for all your work helping us out here on the forums. You have saved my buns several times and I know there must be lots of others, too.

bez54

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is the link:

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/11/...pdating-your-asus-nexus-7-to-android-4-2.html

The one trick is that when you see the Android with the red exclamation mark, then you need to press and hold the power button AND THEN tap the Volume Up button once. Then the options will appear. I first tried holding both buttons down for an extended time, which will cause a restart without cache wipe after about 5 seconds.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Thanks mate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

flux capacitor

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Obviously, to each his own opionion. But having a couple issues with a widget hardly seems to make the OS a pig.

Are you sure it's been removed? When I added the HD weather widget to the lock screen, it put it a couple 'pages' to the left at the back of the line. Scrolled to the left to find it, grabbed/moved it to the right just as I would any ap on the home home screen.

Other's are complaining about it, and we all see it. I think it's just one of those cosmetic design things that some people really hate, and others simply couldn't care about.

No, the HD widget I had setup non the lock screen gets deleted. Its not a matter of scrolling it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. TWRP 2.3.2.1 is what I was using. Yeah I noticed the record time too. I went in and saw the backup file had been created----but it was empty! No wonder it completed in record time! That's when I went back and looked at the log and saw the failure notice. I guess I'll get into it deeper when I get back after TG.
2def, Once again, thanks for all your work helping us out here on the forums. You have saved my buns several times and I know there must be lots of others, too.

Lol no problem bud... And yeah I've been using the backup that TWRP 2.3.2.1 created and it works flawlessly. I spent the night and this morning trying to build some pure AOSP systems to flash to my device, all of which failed, lol.. but the backup has restored without issue every time. You'll definitely want to check that again, maybe the recovery just didn't flash properly the first time.. try fastbooting the image if you used goomanager to flash it before. Doing things manually always produces better results :)

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is I had a smooth running tablet, and now after the update, I don't.
This precisely. After the first day, my Nexus 7 has become dog slow. Taps sometimes take seconds to be responded to and it feels like an old product. Put it this way, I used to show it off to people who'd remark about how fast it was; now I won't dare because it is so laggy it looks like one of those $99 tablets you'd find at Big Lots or CVS. I'm not kidding.

And to the people who are giggling, "I'm not having any problems. U mad bro? lulz," aren't really helping things. People unhappy about the clock fonts are one thing, but when there are constant complaints of similar performance hits unrelated to apps needing updating, then something needs investigating and remediation. Simply going into your app drawer and swiping through pages shouldn't hiccup. Tapping the task switcher button shouldn't take a few seconds to pop up and show the thumbnails one by one. Put simply, Jelly Bean shouldn't feel like Ice Cream Sandwich and this is what has happened with my N7. 4.2 is a step back to 4.0 from 4.1.

dsw10482

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Amazon App store slightly broken for me in that I have to log in every single time I open the app. Pain in the butt!

If you uninstall amazon app store and reinstall it, the issue is fixed. Also if you don't chic it'every time you log in it will register a new nexus and you will hit your 25 device limit and have to go to amazon.com to deregister some

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This precisely. After the first day, my Nexus 7 has become dog slow. Taps sometimes take seconds to be responded to and it feels like an old product. Put it this way, I used to show it off to people who'd remark about how fast it was; now I won't dare because it is so laggy it looks like one of those $99 tablets you'd find at Big Lots or CVS. I'm not kidding.

And to the people who are giggling, "I'm not having any problems. U mad bro? lulz," aren't really helping things. People unhappy about the clock fonts are one thing, but when there are constant complaints of similar performance hits unrelated to apps needing updating, then something needs investigating and remediation. Simply going into your app drawer and swiping through pages shouldn't hiccup. Tapping the task switcher button shouldn't take a few seconds to pop up and show the thumbnails one by one. Put simply, Jelly Bean shouldn't feel like Ice Cream Sandwich and this is what has happened with my N7. 4.2 is a step back to 4.0 from 4.1.

A factory reset after the update on my Nexus 7 fixed the lag issues for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Well.. I'm not giggling or belittling anyone with complaints, I'm trying to understand the complaints, and separate them into those with genuine issues and those who just don't like something, or those that are related to apps which need their developers to update them properly. I'm not going to change anyone's mind if they don't like the cosmetic changes in Android 4.2. I happen to like them, and that's that as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of your slow down and lag you say specifically:
Simply going into your app drawer and swiping through pages shouldn't hiccup. Tapping the task switcher button shouldn't take a few seconds to pop up and show the thumbnails one by one. Put simply, Jelly Bean shouldn't feel like Ice Cream Sandwich and this is what has happened with my N7. 4.2 is a step back to 4.0 from 4.1
Where I think this is without question an overgeneralized statement, as my device is performing perfectly and I think 4.2 is a beautiful upgrade. I'm not saying "too bad for you, deal with it".. I have no reason to not believe you, but clearly if we have one tablet running great and one getting laggy, we can't just say the OS is crap. More likely the one lagging needs troubleshooting. Would you agree?

Now as I mentioned, I installed 4.2 manually by fastbooting the factory images, whereas most others probably took the OTA. The main difference is I started 4.2 on a completely clean slate.. my tablet was wiped on many levels by my method. Seeing as how the partitions have been redesigned in 4.2 and all the other under-the-hood changes, I can imagine that the migration of data and upgrade process could potentially leave some bad data or "ghosts in the machine" that would contribute to slowing performance, reboots, etc. That's just a theory, it could also be some apps you have installed that, even if functioning, are causing you more harm than you realize if they haven't been updated for 4.2 yet. This is a very real and possible answer as well.

I know not everyone wants to do a factory reset, but it's the first thing I would recommend to clear up your issues. It will allow the system to start fresh, wipe the sd partition and everything else, and get rid of whatever bad data is causing your issues. Do I think it's cool that you should have to do that? No, I understand that can be a huge pain for some people, but again, I'm just trying to troubleshoot. I'm not jumping to defend Google.. if the upgrade indeed caused a performance drop for devices coming from 4.1.2, then that's something they should have planned for better. But it is what it is.. so you can either deal and try some things to fix it, or you can carry on with your problematic device. The only point I am making regarding 4.2 is that the OS itself is as smooth as ever and I haven't noticed a single bug since I installed it yesterday, and I've been fiddling with my tablet a lot in the last 24 hours.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If a factory wipe is going to be required to have a properly functioning device, then they need to stop calling it an update and call it a nuke from orbit. :mad: I had the NO_DATA update for my GS2 result in atrocious battery life and performance and whacked it, fixing things, but I wasn't happy about the hassle.

It's just such a PITMFA to blow away all your stuff and start fresh. I know there are people who flash ROMs daily, but they aren't using their phones - they're gadget nerds playing around with their toys. (These are the clowns who claim to reload Windows monthly for best performance. I ran my last PC for four years on it's OG load of WinXP and it was fine until it was retired.) Most people simply want their stuff to work and having to start from scratch is BS.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If a factory wipe is going to be required to have a properly functioning device, then they need to stop calling it an update and call it a nuke from orbit. :mad: I had the NO_DATA update for my GS2 result in atrocious battery life and performance and whacked it, fixing things, but I wasn't happy about the hassle.

It's just such a PITMFA to blow away all your stuff and start fresh. I know there are people who flash ROMs daily, but they aren't using their phones - they're gadget nerds playing around with their toys. (These are the clowns who claim to reload Windows monthly for best performance. I ran my last PC for four years on it's OG load of WinXP and it was fine until it was retired.) Most people simply want their stuff to work and having to start from scratch is BS.

Yes, its a pain, as I said, I get it. 4.2 was a more significant reorganization of the OS, the system and data partitions than the average user realizes, and if that is causing a lot of the issues then it's a shame Google could not better prepare the upgrade to avoid that happening. But at this juncture you have your tablet and you can either do a factory reset, which others are pointing out did fix their problems, or you could not do one and just live with it. I think the choice is clear, although I completely understand it's far from ideal.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any beef with 4.2, but I use a lot of apps that rarely ever get updated--even for 4.1.2. Some of them I absolutely need to use, so updating to 4.2 would kill functionality for me.

Haven't updated yet, but it just seems absolutely pointless for me to; if it ain't broke, I don't need to 'fix' it :p. I reaallly wish I had the option of disabling those announcements, or at least having a "remind me in 7 days" feature; it comes every half hour and freezes my apps. I might end up rooting my device to stop them.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any beef with 4.2, but I use a lot of apps that rarely ever get updated--even for 4.1.2. Some of them I absolutely need to use, so updating to 4.2 would kill functionality for me.

Haven't updated yet, but it just seems absolutely pointless for me to; if it ain't broke, I don't need to 'fix' it :p. I reaallly wish I had the option of disabling those announcements, or at least having a "remind me in 7 days" feature; it comes every half hour and freezes my apps. I might end up rooting my device to stop them.

That can be done.. you can find great guides in the rooting subforum. Keep in mind that to root you need to unlock the bootloader though, and unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe the device (you only need to do it one time though). If you decide to take that plunge there's plenty of info available in that section :)

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... Put simply, Jelly Bean shouldn't feel like Ice Cream Sandwich and this is what has happened with my N7. 4.2 is a step back to 4.0 from 4.1.
YES. I've been noticing all kinds of delays and slowdowns, enough that I tap once, figured it was ignored, tap again, ... and 3 seconds later both taps are acted upon.

Absolutely terrible. Reboots and killing all active apps doesn't help.

C'mon 4.2.1...!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried just wiping the cache partition, as was mentioned above? This doesn't erase user data, and others have noticed performance improvements after doing so. This trick also worked for the Razr Maxx after the ICS update.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I've wiped the cache partition -- something you should never "have to" do for proper performance -- a few times the lagginess and delays return within a day's infrequent use.

Ponsonby_Britt

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it "kinda sucks" but it is a regression IMO. Don't care for the ui changes or the multi-user feature (would like to disable it if I knew how) and fonts on some apps do not display properly.

Did a system reset but still have random reboots. 4.1.2 is a definite possibility for me.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I just factory reset. We'll see how that works with any problems I was having. Strangely enough I'm having clock lag on the lock screen... Like we saw on CM9 for other devices.

One thing I noticed in the source code for the launcher... A class called "RocketLauncher" which was added to the launcher code in 4.1, has been removed in 4.2. I say this because I've looked at the code and it clearly was a bunch of code that made the launcher faster, so idk what they did with it in 4.2.... I definitely have some glitching occasionally in the app drawer, more than in 4.1.

Sent from my 32 GB Nexus 7

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just factory reset. We'll see how that works with any problems I was having. Strangely enough I'm having clock lag on the lock screen... Like we saw on CM9 for other devices.

One thing I noticed in the source code for the launcher... A class called "RocketLauncher" which was added to the launcher code in 4.1, has been removed in 4.2. I say this because I've looked at the code and it clearly was a bunch of code that made the launcher faster, so idk what they did with it in 4.2.... I definitely have some glitching occasionally in the app drawer, more than in 4.1.
I've actually had some FC's of something I think was called ActivityLauncher, I'll have to watch for that.

I've got a screenshot of "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" as well (on the Home Screen).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa